Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
15 interviews

2.6

Youth Development Aide Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

You send in a generic questionnaire after taking a civil service exam that is not hard. Highest scores are who receives interviews. Then you go before a panel of 3 people, all of whom either currently or previously have occupied the position you are applying for. You also must pass a physical exam that consists of basically nothing, and also an FBI background check. As long as you haven't killed anyone and don't have child abuse/neglect charges or anything like that, you are probably good.

Interview Questions
    • Basic scenario questions, like "what would you do if…" and it's something like the kids having a riot or something--how do you handle it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation--you are offered the job and if you're desperate enough, you accept it. Then you begin a two week training. For the record, what is covered in training in no way resembles what is practiced on the unit. The training is a formality that is scoffed at by management. If you are "lucky" enough to train at the LYDC, you'll have to drive as it is in the middle of nowhere. People in my training that worked elsewhere were given hotel rooms and a company vehicle to drive to LYDC every day.

Semi-skilled Laborer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Evansburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansburg, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

you are required to take and pass a test at 7th and arch streets. Then, you will be notified by mail, your score as well as the wait for a position. when your time comes someone will call you for an interview. Then, you will be hire.

Interview Questions
    • If there is a flooded area, what is the first thing to do?   Answer Question

Employment Interviewer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Traditional union interview. Gave you the questions 10 minutes before to review. Panel interview where the 3 panelists were writing down your answers while you were speak. About 8-10 questions were asked.

There is none

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in August 2012.

Going through the civil service process is a bit discouraging because you're sent all these announcements and you're to send them back if you're interested but you will probably not hear back from most of them. Once you get a call for an interview, that is about normal. You're asked the usual questions but may be interviewed by several people at once, so it can be more intimidating. After being hired, don't believe everything the HR rep tells you because apparently they don't actually know what they're supposed to know. I was told I wouldn't have any benefits for 6 months when actually medical kicks in almost from the beginning.

Interview Questions
    • Probably where do you see yourself in 5 years   View Answer

Program Administrator - Policy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in January 2011.

Civil Service hiring differs from Non-Civil Service Hiring. Take as many civil service tests as you can that are of interest. They will call you when an opening arises. For Non-Civil Service, keep looking for opportunities in each department and let them know of your interest. Call the Bureau of State Employment and/or the department directly.

Interview Questions
    • All candidates for the same individual position get the same basic interview questions..."Tell me about yourself." "Tell me about a time you worked as part of a team." "How do you handle conflict?" "What would you do if you were asked to do anything that could be considered illegal?" They vary from time to time, department to department, and job to job.   View Answer
    In my experience, starting salaries are pretty much established, but they can be adjusted upwards a little bit, particularly if you are the candidate they really want to hire for whatever reason that may be, (Best experience with lesser seniority, a push from the Administration to the department, etc.)

District Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jefferson Hills, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jefferson Hills, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in November 2009.

Be ready to discuss your abilities with regards to managing employees, communicating with the public, and meeting any expectations of your employer.

Willing to negotiate, but this is a government position, so there are limits.

Disrtict Office Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The process is developed to hire the most qualified individual. You must have good people skills and a command of the english language. Be a problem solver. Be loyal to your job, show up on time, properly dressed and will to do whatever is asked of you, in a polite and prompt manner. You should not questions the reason things are being done, your job is to do them.

Interview Questions
    I asked what the benefits werew an was told.

Clerk II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in October 2011.

I filled out the online application and set up a day and time to take the test for the selected position. After taking the Test I awaited for a job interview survey via mail which I returned if I was interested or not. I was called for interview.

Interview Questions
    • What questions would you ask of us before we end this interview.   View Answer
    It was either accept or decline.

Appeals Referee Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in January 2009.

These are civil-service jobs. You apply by contacting the State Civil-Service Commission and scheduling an examination, which involves mostly a test of whether and how you would apply the Unemployment Compensation Law. When an opening comes up, they will notify you and you have the opportunity to request an interview. The highest-scoring applicants are notified first.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would handle a continuance request made under circumstances where granting it would cause administrative problems but denying it would cause prejudice to the parties.   Answer Question

Information Technology Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in April 2010.

The first step is to schedule and take a Civil Service exam for the job title/position you are interested in. After testing, candidates are mailed their score results, and "availability notices" start to come in the mail to your home with open positions being interviewed for across all Commonwealth agencies and offices. You send back the ones that interest you designated on the form you wish to be considered for an interview. If they are interested, they will interview you and then possible select you from all interviewed candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you over all the other eligible candidates we are interviewing?   View Answer
    They call you and offer the position and you either decline or accept.

Worked for Commonwealth of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!