Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.7

General Manager Interview

Time to schedule interview was a lengthy process. Interview was about an hour in length and was structured. Time allotted was adequate to provide detailed responses without feeling rushed. There was a total of 15 questions, as well an opportunity for questions and answers at the end of the interview. Time to complete all Human Resource and onboarding activites was very long.

Interview Questions
    • What's is your favorite color and what does that say about you?   Answer Question

Youth Development Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

You send in a generic questionnaire after taking a civil service exam that is not hard. Highest scores are who receives interviews. Then you go before a panel of 3 people, all of whom either currently or previously have occupied the position you are applying for. You also must pass a physical exam that consists of basically nothing, and also an FBI background check. As long as you haven't killed anyone and don't have child abuse/neglect charges or anything like that, you are probably good.

Interview Questions
    • Basic scenario questions, like "what would you do if…" and it's something like the kids having a riot or something--how do you handle it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation--you are offered the job and if you're desperate enough, you accept it. Then you begin a two week training. For the record, what is covered in training in no way resembles what is practiced on the unit. The training is a formality that is scoffed at by management. If you are "lucky" enough to train at the LYDC, you'll have to drive as it is in the middle of nowhere. People in my training that worked elsewhere were given hotel rooms and a company vehicle to drive to LYDC every day.

Semi-skilled Laborer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansburg, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

you are required to take and pass a test at 7th and arch streets. Then, you will be notified by mail, your score as well as the wait for a position. when your time comes someone will call you for an interview. Then, you will be hire.

Interview Questions
    • If there is a flooded area, what is the first thing to do?   Answer Question

Employment Interviewer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Traditional union interview. Gave you the questions 10 minutes before to review. Panel interview where the 3 panelists were writing down your answers while you were speak. About 8-10 questions were asked.

There is none

Disrtict Office Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The process is developed to hire the most qualified individual. You must have good people skills and a command of the english language. Be a problem solver. Be loyal to your job, show up on time, properly dressed and will to do whatever is asked of you, in a polite and prompt manner. You should not questions the reason things are being done, your job is to do them.

Interview Questions
    I asked what the benefits werew an was told.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in August 2012.

Going through the civil service process is a bit discouraging because you're sent all these announcements and you're to send them back if you're interested but you will probably not hear back from most of them. Once you get a call for an interview, that is about normal. You're asked the usual questions but may be interviewed by several people at once, so it can be more intimidating. After being hired, don't believe everything the HR rep tells you because apparently they don't actually know what they're supposed to know. I was told I wouldn't have any benefits for 6 months when actually medical kicks in almost from the beginning.

Interview Questions
    • Probably where do you see yourself in 5 years   View Answer

Clerk II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in October 2011.

I filled out the online application and set up a day and time to take the test for the selected position. After taking the Test I awaited for a job interview survey via mail which I returned if I was interested or not. I was called for interview.

Interview Questions
    • What questions would you ask of us before we end this interview.   View Answer
    It was either accept or decline.

Program Administrator - Policy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in January 2011.

Civil Service hiring differs from Non-Civil Service Hiring. Take as many civil service tests as you can that are of interest. They will call you when an opening arises. For Non-Civil Service, keep looking for opportunities in each department and let them know of your interest. Call the Bureau of State Employment and/or the department directly.

Interview Questions
    • All candidates for the same individual position get the same basic interview questions..."Tell me about yourself." "Tell me about a time you worked as part of a team." "How do you handle conflict?" "What would you do if you were asked to do anything that could be considered illegal?" They vary from time to time, department to department, and job to job.   View Answer
    In my experience, starting salaries are pretty much established, but they can be adjusted upwards a little bit, particularly if you are the candidate they really want to hire for whatever reason that may be, (Best experience with lesser seniority, a push from the Administration to the department, etc.)

Community Liaison Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in May 2010.

You either have to take a test to get in or you are given a score based on your experience. Apply away, but everything at the state is extremely SLOW. You can start a new position somewhere else before they get around to calling you. Also - they are bound by Union rules, in that they have to interview "X" amount of people prior to filling a position. More often than not, an internal candidate or a "friend" has already been picked, but they have to go through the "motions" to appease the union contract.

Interview Questions
    • Will the new governor take his chimps with him at the end of his term?   View Answer
    There is NO negotiation, pay is what they offer and time off is granted by years of service.

Information Technology Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in April 2010.

The first step is to schedule and take a Civil Service exam for the job title/position you are interested in. After testing, candidates are mailed their score results, and "availability notices" start to come in the mail to your home with open positions being interviewed for across all Commonwealth agencies and offices. You send back the ones that interest you designated on the form you wish to be considered for an interview. If they are interested, they will interview you and then possible select you from all interviewed candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you over all the other eligible candidates we are interviewing?   View Answer
    They call you and offer the position and you either decline or accept.