Commvault Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Commvault (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was an online test with webcam and desktop sharing. It consisted of 5 programming questions, where I was asked to code certain methods for the problem described. I took a test in Java as the position was for a java developer. It was fully based on Java concepts like generic class, exceptions, multi-threading, linked list, arrays. All it needed was the thorough knowledge of java concepts and ability to understand the problem statement clearly in a short span.

Interview Questions

• For a given array of integers, calculate the largest rectangle of histogram.   Answer Question
  • Write a generic class to return the maximum value in an array.   1 Answer
  • Write a class for user defined exception.   1 Answer
  • Other two from multi-threading and linked list.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Commvault

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Commvault (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

It was the first technical interview, and I and bunch of people had to solve some programming questions in a big room. We had 90 minutes to solve 3 algorithm questions. The questions are not that easy or not that hard. But you can use internet freely during the test.

Interview Questions

• The questions were related to data structure problems such as linked list, tree, etc. You code in a web browser, and it's tricky. It is basically just like using a memo pad.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Commvault (Gainesville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

Commvault had visited our campus for the career fair. Some of us got a mail the same night to attend a programming challenge the next day at the University.
    There were three programs with 5,6,7 marks. They instructed us to solve any one first and then attempt the others.
    Question were : Convert a number to binary, Find if a loop exists in a Linked List. Can't recall the third one.
    It was a online compiler type interview. So you had to write, compile execute and pass their tests.

I then got a mail for a telephonic. The guy asked me just one question.
    char *a="something";
    Is this valid or invalid. Give reasons.
    Then what would
    strlen(a) return?

The next question was what is sizeof.

That's it. Simple basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• char *a="something"; Valid / Invalid.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Email from manager. Scheduled a phone interview. Had three telephonic with diff teams. Then got an email saying hiring has been stopped.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about js, IIS, datasets, some programming (send code later) directory structure design and traversal and sort two sorted arrays   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Commvault (Edison, NJ) in February 2012.

Interview

Good interview..Good questions
    Make sure your basics are tight

Interview Questions

• Asked questions on memory allocation in C
      How can you dynamically allocate memory in stack as opposed to malloc which happens in heap ?

Which is faster between stack and heap

Answer Question
    • What is static key word why is it used ?   Answer Question
    • What is a hashmap, it's complecxity for lookup and what is the data structure inside a hashmap and concepts on chaining and collision   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coimbatore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Commvault (Coimbatore (India)).

Interview

1 online programming round in their compiler
    1 hackathon round

Interview Questions

• Hackathon round question will be mostly based on heap management   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Commvault (Thiruvananthapuram (India)) in July 2012.

Interview

45 MCQs (30mins)
    1 coding (on computer) (1.5 hrs)
    Tech Interview 1 ( 1hr ) ( algorithms, data structures and C/C++ )
    Tech interview 2 ( 30mins ) ( pointers & memory management )
    HR ( 30mins )

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Commvault (Hyderābād (India)) in January 2012.

Interview

Very Interactive Interview ,Interviewers always tried to check intelligence

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Commvault (Hyderābād (India)) in July 2010.

Interview

I got a call through the consultant. Had 2 telephonic interviews one from Hyderabad and one from US. Both were not very difficult. Then called for 1:1. There I had to take a test where I needed to code provided with the System.

Interview Questions

• This one is from Java Swings. Write a program to display a table with a large size of data from an backed data source. consider pagination and indexing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Commvault (Hyderābād (India)) in June 2010.

Interview

The first part of the interview was a lengthy written test which I have to give even with 5 years of Development experience. Many of my friends wan't able to clear the written test, but I cleared it.

The next portion is debugging test where you have to go to there office, and debug a program in 3 hours and fix it. Initially it will not even be at compilation stage.

I went through the whole process but the main bug I didn't fixed. And I made a fix at wrong place, so the bug is gone and was not reproducible. Even the person who was observing my system, got confused.

Later on he did a stress test on the system, and then the bug was reproduced but I ran out of time.