Compass Group USA

Updated Oct 31, 2014
Updated Oct 31, 2014

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Compass Group USA.

Made email contact with hiring manager. Scheduled for in person interview with 2 directors and executive chef. Received an email a week later telling me I wasn't selected. A week after that I was called and asked if I'd be interested in the job still. I was offered the job on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask difficult questions. They were concerned with my ability to read recipes.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I just wanted the job at the time. You can negotiate for at least 10% or higher than what they offer.

Food Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Compass Group USA.

Originally contacted by a recruiter and the hiring process was relatively easy. Interviewed with food service director and with the client at the account.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding financials that I had not encountered at that time. This did not effect the outcome of the interview as I would come to find out later. They were just trying to see where I was and what might need to be learned on the job.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the salary. I did my research and was able to provide necessary back up to my argument for an increased offer.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Compass Group USA.

I had a very generic 20-minute phone interview with HR at which time I was told that there would be a call back with further information as to a face-to-face interview. I received that call back and was asked if I was willing to sit in on a group interview with several Sr. staff since they would be in my area. I agreed, and was given the opportunity to interview with 4 members of the Sr. staff. It was very personable, and relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't one that stood out as difficult as I already knew one of the panel members and I had done work for them before.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Compass Group USA in December 2013.

I applied for the position via the ATS system and was contacted almost immediately by the HR rep in North Carolina. I spoke with her for almost an hour, discussing my experience, salary requirements, and questions for the hiring manager.

I then had a brief (half hour) meeting with the hiring manager. She immediately moved me on to the "next round" at the end of the interview and asked me to complete a design project along with a presentation (~4+ hour commitment). At first I was skeptical because it seemed like asking for free work, plus I didn't know how many other candidates were asked to submit proposals, but I thought the position would be a great career move so I decided to give it a shot.

Next, I was contacted almost three weeks after submitting my proposal (four weeks from the second interview) and asked to talk with someone in the IT department in North Carolina. The interview lasted for over an hour and was incredibly unprofessional. This employee said several not-nice things about the hiring manager and also spoke poorly of the previous person to hold the position. He also asked me incredibly technical questions (stuff about app development) which was not necessary to the job (made clear both in the job description and in my questions to the HR and hiring manager). Once I asked him a rather technical question about different severs, and he couldn't even answer! I was left with a very poor impression.

Please note that at this point no one had yet contacted me to discuss my proposal despite several polite email notes requesting follow up.

Finally, I received an email from a second HR representative asking me to present my proposal in front of a panel along with other "finalists" almost a month from the date of the email (three months after I applied and was initially contacted). About a week or so later I accepted another offer at a different company and removed myself from consideration.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe your experience with technology."   View Answer

Executive Chef Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Compass Group USA in November 2013.

initial in person interview, interviewer talked more than listened or asked questions. second interview was "chef test". silly list of questions, how do you calculate food cost, come up with three sandwiches, etc. then a low ball offer. stick to your guns, they will come up. they try to get you for cheap, telling you it is a "quality of life" decision and you should take less pay because of that. They don't tell you that you will be working 12 hours a day and coming in on your days off.

Interview Questions
    • it was a pretty easy interview process overall but my interviewer was not the sharpest tool in the shed   Answer Question
    the recruiter makes a low ball offer and demands an immediate answer, then gets agitated if you ask for a little time to decide. Mine told me, "take it or leave it". They were advertising $60K for the position but offered me $57K. I said I needed $60K and they buckled.

Lead Cook/Kitchen Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Compass Group USA in November 2013.

Walked in, talked to DM, she hired me, told me she would call me in the afternoon with the particulars such as time, location, etc. Didn't call me back, or be available for 3 days. Did not reveal my rate of pay for 3 weeks.

No negotiation.

Chef Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Compass Group USA.

one interview with DM. no chef test . hired on the spot.

none

Director of Dining Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Group USA in August 2013.

Interview process was a seamless from applying online to the actual hiring process. The process was not difficulty at all. The hiring process with human resources was a little cumbersome at the start, but this was due to the wrong information being inputted by the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • How did you deal with a difficult situation that you encountered in early job?   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye Brook, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye Brook, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Compass Group USA in July 2013.

3 step process - all positions are temp to hire 3 months. Interview with attorneys and then with VP. After interviews there is a test for skills in MS office and Adobe.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was how I would handle workload in certain situations.   Answer Question
    Received a letter via email

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Group USA.

Interviewed by VP of hospital and Regional Director of Healthcare with Compass Group.

Interview Questions
    • Tell how you plan to us your degree for this position.   Answer Question