Compass Lexecon

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Met a recruiter at a college job fair. Received an email a few days later asking me to fill out a complete application (cover letter, etc.) over email. Didn't hear back for about a month, at which point they set up an over-the-phone interview.

The interview itself primarily consisted of a mix between economics and fit/behavioral questions. I imagine the type of questions they ask depends mostly on the office/type of analysis you're interviewing for.

Interview Questions
  • Asked me multiple in-depth questions about some of my previous independent work that I hadn't thought about in quite some time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Compass Lexecon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in October 2014.

Applied through campus website, but first found was a phone interview with a Vp or something. It was a quick 30 minute behavioral interview with added questions about research/quantitative experience. Second round was at the office, 4 one on one interviews with various upper level personnel. Two were straight behavioral the other two were a quant questions and then a simple case-ish question. Nothing you could really prepare for. Not as involved as strategy cases but knowing anti-trust stuff would help. Office seems library-ish (not terribly lively) like other people have said but it seemed like a great bunch of people who love their jobs. Basically every person mentioned how brutal the hours were, seems like more hours than comparable firms.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate the profits achieved from A and B merging and raising prices, (it was graph based).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Usual phone interview questions. Tell me about your background and experiences. why do you think you are the best candidate? What do you expect from the Analyst position? In which field you will be comfortable? which field will be difficult or you?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in February 2014.

First round was with an analyst. There was a case study that requires some industrial organization knowledge. Second round has 2 parts: first part was a case interview with 2 analysts. there were some behavioral questions and a case about industrial organization and econometrics ( I was asked to come up with a regression model, so review statistics if you can). Second part was a written case on antitrust with a VP. The questions he asked were not very structured, so I asked a lot of clarifying questions. He had a PhD in economics and gave me a sense that he was expecting me to have the same level of knowledge in economics which I didn't. Got an email the next day after the second round telling me that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Very detailed discussion about industrial organization, antitrust issues and market definition   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Two phone interviews which are mostly behavioral. The process was extremely slow. It took them two weeks before informing me about the second round.After that, there is one final round interview at their office. I interviewed with 10 person within 5.5 hrs. Most questions are behavioral and some are technical. One guy asked about contents in past courses, which is hard. It took them another three weeks to get back to me. This is really inefficient. Very disappointed that they don't even reimburse the transportation costs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Three interviews through On Campus Recruiting from University of California.
    First interview - Behavioral interview with a very simple case study question. Lasted about 40 mins.
    Second Interview - Behavioral + Case Study - about 3 hours.
    Third Interview - N/A (Didn't get that far)

Interview Questions
    • The case study question is very challenging. Lots of material is given and a deep understanding of microeconomics (primarily IO) is required.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in February 2013.

Went through first round phone interview and then second round on site interview. Second round interview was 3 hours. First three analyst asking questions, then VP, then working on a case study for an hour by myself , then sharing insights with VP

Interview Questions
    • Are you applying to our competitors? Why would you choose us over our competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in October 2012.

I applied through my college careers website, and got an interview call within a couple of weeks. The interview was on campus with two current employees. It was pretty casual, and the questions measured fit and interest in consulting. My interviewers were very friendly and willing to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked in detail about a research project I talked about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in March 2012.

Interviewer was looking for Analysts to fill positions at the newly expanded Pasadena location. Basic interview questions (what are your skills, why are you fit for the job, where else have you interviewed, walk me through your resume). There was a short brainteaser given at the end, but nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • If you have two jars, one with 1000 blue marbles and the other with 1000 red marbles, and you reach into the blue jar and move 20 marbles to the red jar, then grab 20 marbles from the red jar and move them into the blue jar, and you repeat this process one more time, which jar has fewer of the other color?   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in October 2011.

First round interview was though UC Berkeley's career center. I interview with two analysts. They were interested in previous my research experience, asked some simple questions about monopolies and competition, and asked why I wanted to join the company/interested in the job.

Second round interview was in their office and had three parts. First, a more in-depth test of price and competition knowledge (with a couple simple 2x2 tables). Second, was a case-study-esk hour long project; this was related to market share and had reports and articles about an industry mock-case and tables of data (you really need to know how to read tables well and carefully); it boiled down to would you allow A to acquire B? Would there be antitrust concerns. Last was an interview with a manager about what you did/thought with the case-study.

Third round consisted of several interview with managers/principles which returned to why I wanted to do the work, discussions of what the job was like, and previous research experience. They also asked for a letter of recommendation at this point.

The third round kind of was two across two visits to the office.

The People and Place:
    Everyone was nice, very professional, and highly perceptive and intelligent. The office was very nice (bright, clean, modern, etc).

Tips:
    Review monopolies, competition, and pricing before any interview with Compass.
    Be ready to talk about research experience. An honors thesis or research assistant work is great. Next best thing is a quantitative research paper or work with primary data (i.e. raw data that you used graphically or statistically).

Interview Questions
    • Whether or not the proposed acquisition in the case-study would be an antitrust concern.   View Answer