Compass Lexecon

30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first round phone interview was part behavioral questions, part questions having mostly to do with monopolies. Nothing particularly complex, but the interviewer wanted an intuitive rather than an "academic" explanation of economic concepts, and that can be somewhat challenging.

Second round phone interview was with a Vice President. I had been told during my first round interview to be prepared to answer questions having to do with industrial organization, and that knowledge of the relevant diagrams would be required. I was asked questions about both industrial organization and statistics, as well as a few behavioral questions. The questions about industrial organization weren't always specific: it was more a case of the interviewer breaking down my response and asking me to justify or explain something I had said.

Interview Question – Fairly in-depth questions about monopolies, oligopolies etc.   View Answer

Analyst - International Arbitration Interview

Analyst - International Arbitration
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon in February 2014.

Interview Details – First round behavioral phone interview. Expect questions about resume and past experiences.

Second round in NYC office. First hour was a capital budgeting question involving DCF calculations. Given data on bond ratings, wacc, market data etc. Second hour was an essay question on a recent court case in the financial industry. You have access to internet, excel, and word. After lunch, was asked to defend my case recommendation. Demanded very thorough understanding of corporate finance. Important to keep calm under pressure and admit fault if you make a mistake.

Overall it was a pretty intense experience. The people were nice -- no one was particularly passionate about their work. The workload sometimes seemed a bit crazy. Quiet office.

The work you'd be doing as an analyst seems largely dependent on what the VP or senior analyst want you to do. Not so much room for ownership, but you can definitely have autonomy in your day-to-day.

Compass hires by practice group. The IA team is based in NY, Houston, Latin America, and London.

Interview Question – case question   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the team in houston is fairly small. better offers elsewhere

Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon in February 2014.

Interview Details – First round was with an analyst. There was a case study that requires some industrial organization knowledge. Second round has 2 parts: first part was a case interview with 2 analysts. there were some behavioral questions and a case about industrial organization and econometrics ( I was asked to come up with a regression model, so review statistics if you can). Second part was a written case on antitrust with a VP. The questions he asked were not very structured, so I asked a lot of clarifying questions. He had a PhD in economics and gave me a sense that he was expecting me to have the same level of knowledge in economics which I didn't. Got an email the next day after the second round telling me that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – Very detailed discussion about industrial organization, antitrust issues and market definition   Answer Question

Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon in February 2013.

Interview Details – Went through first round phone interview and then second round on site interview. Second round interview was 3 hours. First three analyst asking questions, then VP, then working on a case study for an hour by myself , then sharing insights with VP

Interview Question – Are you applying to our competitors? Why would you choose us over our competitors?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview Details – Applied through my college's career center and interviewed on campus with 2 current employees. Was asked a lot of details about the data for research that I had previously worked on (e.g. source of the data used, how many variables and observations, limitations, etc). Was also asked two short case questions about the effects of a merger and how I would go about testing whether it was anti-competitive or not.

Interview Question – 2 mini-case questions about mergers   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Economist

Interviewed at Compass Lexecon

Interview Details – It was pretty straightforward. I had a screening interview, and about a half-day in the office. Most of it was friendly and conversational -- no bombarding with questions.

Interview Question – I heard that some of the interviewers do brain teaser type "challenge questions." I didn't get one when I interviewed but I believe it is true.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews which are mostly behavioral. The process was extremely slow. It took them two weeks before informing me about the second round.After that, there is one final round interview at their office. I interviewed with 10 person within 5.5 hrs. Most questions are behavioral and some are technical. One guy asked about contents in past courses, which is hard. It took them another three weeks to get back to me. This is really inefficient. Very disappointed that they don't even reimburse the transportation costs.

Interview Question – past courses: how to use linear algebra in finance   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview Details – It was an on-campus interview. An alum with the VP. Just went through my resume, asked about my internship experience in a law firm and research backgrounds. They asked very detailed questions about data I worked with 2 years ago. So be prepared to answer specific questions regarding your research.

Interview Question – They asked for specific numbers from my past research that I didn't remember...   Answer Question

International Arbitration Analyst Interview

International Arbitration Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Compass Lexecon in May 2013.

Interview Details – First round: short behavioral interview by phone with hiring manager in New York. Was notified the same day about a second round interview within the same week. Took about half an hour.

Second round: case study, essay, and interview. Took 2-3 hours in total.

Was first given a one-page case prompt to be typed up on the computer in 45 minutes. Question was about whether a fictional company should expand into another country and a slightly different industry. Financial data about the market was provided in tables, as well as costs in the descriptive paragraph. Allowed to use the internet, Microsoft Word, and Excel.

After a break, I was given an essay to be done also within 45 minutes. The question concerned a recent financial event and ensuing lawsuit in the news, and I was to determine essentially who should have won the case. Could use Microsoft Word and the internet; was given links to a couple of articles about the subject.

Part of the interview with members of the office was behavioral; the remaining part was discussing the case, and being led through your thought process and answers. They read and evaluated the essay at a later time.

Interview Question – Case question   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

International Arbitration Analyst Interview

International Arbitration Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview Details – Started out with a phone interview. Basic "walk me through your resume" questions.

Then they flew me out to NYC office to meet the team. 5 hour interview with capital budgeting questions and an article write up. Lunch with a few

Interview Question – Should a specific company undertake a specific project when giving different items that would effect the firms FCF. NPV and IRR calculations. Having to figure out WACC to discount the FCF, etcetera.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for Compass Lexecon? Contribute to the Community!