Compass Lexecon Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.1

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Three Rounds:
    Phone Screening: Quick 15 minute phone interview involving fit questions along with what I know about CL and the position.
    Second Round: Three interviews which included a behavioral, technical, and case study. Behavioral part asked standard questions about your resume and why you want to work in this industry and why CL. During the technical part, you explain your research paper and why you used certain methods in there (they also asked a few statistical questions i.e. explain heteroskedasticity).Case study asked questions in regards to a 10b5-violation.
    Final Found: Three behavioral interviews with senior management. These were less formal than the previous round and were more like Q&A sessions giving you the opportunity to ask questions about CL.

Overall, people were really friendly and seemed to enjoy their work. Hearing back from final round took a long time though.

Intern Interview

I applied online. Was contacted after a month. Had one phone interview with an analyst and a VP in the company. The questions were mostly about my experience and how I would fit at Compass. They were really looking to see that I knew how to use statistical software or was at least enthusiastic about learning.

Interview Questions

Had another offer I liked better

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Applied through an alumni at school. They got back to me very quickly and I was set up for a phone interview with a VP and two analysts there. Some basic behavioral questions like walk me through your resume, why economic consulting, why Compass Lexecon. Get drilled pretty hard on previous research projects that I could not recall completely (where do you get the data, what method do you use to analyze the data, what statistical software used, etc.). The people seem to love what they are doing and are very friendly. The culture seems to be collaborative and academic at the same time.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Met a recruiter at a college job fair. Received an email a few days later asking me to fill out a complete application (cover letter, etc.) over email. Didn't hear back for about a month, at which point they set up an over-the-phone interview.

The interview itself primarily consisted of a mix between economics and fit/behavioral questions. I imagine the type of questions they ask depends mostly on the office/type of analysis you're interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me multiple in-depth questions about some of my previous independent work that I hadn't thought about in quite some time.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Met recruiter at campus recruiting fair. Submitted resume, got an on-campus interview. Interview was fairly standard - behavioral for the first half and a series of "What would you do in this case" for the second half? Brush up on your antitrust and monopoly knowledge, and you'll do fine. Interviewer was not out there to grill you - relaxed vibe to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would the DOJ determine if something was a monopoly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in October 2014.

Applied through campus website, but first found was a phone interview with a Vp or something. It was a quick 30 minute behavioral interview with added questions about research/quantitative experience. Second round was at the office, 4 one on one interviews with various upper level personnel. Two were straight behavioral the other two were a quant questions and then a simple case-ish question. Nothing you could really prepare for. Not as involved as strategy cases but knowing anti-trust stuff would help. Office seems library-ish (not terribly lively) like other people have said but it seemed like a great bunch of people who love their jobs. Basically every person mentioned how brutal the hours were, seems like more hours than comparable firms.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate the profits achieved from A and B merging and raising prices, (it was graph based).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Compass Lexecon in October 2014.

Applied on their website. Heard back after three weeks. Got a phone call from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview with the senior analyst. The senior analyst was quite friendly but I didn't hear back from them after. Also, I was not able to get the email of the interviewer so I couldn't send any thank you email/follow up email. That was the mistake on my part.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral. Asked why econ consulting? Are you interested in management consulting as well?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Started with phone interview, which was pretty easy. Next had in person interview for Oakland Office, but I was residing in D.C. at the time; they let me do this interview over webcam. I had several sets of interviews and a writing portion based off a prompt. Overall, this second interview step was a few hours. I did not get to the third and last step of the interview.

Analyst Interview

Usual phone interview questions. Tell me about your background and experiences. why do you think you are the best candidate? What do you expect from the Analyst position? In which field you will be comfortable? which field will be difficult or you?

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Compass Lexecon in June 2014.

The first round phone interview was part behavioral questions, part questions having mostly to do with monopolies. Nothing particularly complex, but the interviewer wanted an intuitive rather than an "academic" explanation of economic concepts, and that can be somewhat challenging.

Second round phone interview was with a Vice President. I had been told during my first round interview to be prepared to answer questions having to do with industrial organization, and that knowledge of the relevant diagrams would be required. I was asked questions about both industrial organization and statistics, as well as a few behavioral questions. The questions about industrial organization weren't always specific: it was more a case of the interviewer breaking down my response and asking me to justify or explain something I had said.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly in-depth questions about monopolies, oligopolies etc.   View Answer