1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Oakland, CA) in October 2011.

First round interview was though UC Berkeley's career center. I interview with two analysts. They were interested in previous my research experience, asked some simple questions about monopolies and competition, and asked why I wanted to join the company/interested in the job. Second round interview was in their office and had three parts. First, a more in-depth test of price and competition knowledge (with a couple simple 2x2 tables). Second, was a case-study-esk hour long project; this was related to market share and had reports and articles about an industry mock-case and tables of data (you really need to know how to read tables well and carefully); it boiled down to would you allow A to acquire B? Would there be antitrust concerns. Last was an interview with a manager about what you did/thought with the case-study. Third round consisted of several interview with managers/principles which returned to why I wanted to do the work, discussions of what the job was like, and previous research experience. They also asked for a letter of recommendation at this point. The third round kind of was two across two visits to the office. The People and Place: Everyone was nice, very professional, and highly perceptive and intelligent. The office was very nice (bright, clean, modern, etc). Tips: Review monopolies, competition, and pricing before any interview with Compass. Be ready to talk about research experience. An honors thesis or research assistant work is great. Next best thing is a quantitative research paper or work with primary data (i.e. raw data that you used graphically or statistically).

Interview Questions

• Whether or not the proposed acquisition in the case-study would be an antitrust concern.   1 Answer