Compass Lexecon Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I spoke on the phone with a vice president first. He was very positive and asked interesting questions about my research, which I reviewed before my interview. Second interview was 5 back-to-back interviews via Skype. The interviews were quite relaxed and friendly - most questions were about why I want to do consulting, why Compass Lexecon and then a bunch of questions about my research. I was asked about a very low-level research job from several years ago that I didn't quite remember which caught me a bit off guard, but all the questions were fair. Not a case interview!! Great interview process overall.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to give my opinion on an industry I did research on several years ago Favourite class I've taken Whether I think I can handle really long hours Career goals   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Compass Lexecon

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got contacted after 3 weeks... First Round: a phone interview with a VP. All behavioral questions; Second Round: on site interview, 1 senior VP and 2 analysts. Mainly behavioral questions. Drilled down to details about past research (data set, analysis, resources...) To some extend, the chance of getting in kind of depends on the available openings... Quantitative skills and knowledge in different statistical softwares.

Interview Questions

• Q: Where did you get the data? Some detailed questions about the original data set, as well as the cleaning process...   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview

Applied through an alumni at school. They got back to me very quickly and I was set up for a phone interview with a VP and two analysts there. Some basic behavioral questions like walk me through your resume, why economic consulting, why Compass Lexecon. Get drilled pretty hard on previous research projects that I could not recall completely (where do you get the data, what method do you use to analyze the data, what statistical software used, etc.). The people seem to love what they are doing and are very friendly. The culture seems to be collaborative and academic at the same time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Oakland, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied thru on campus recruiting, received phone interview 2 weeks later which was fairly straightforward (they asked me basic economics questions about supply/demand and complements/supplements). The second round interview took a total of 4 hours at the office; I spoke to two analysts, one senior economist, and one VP.

Interview Questions

• Under what conditions would price collusion occur?   2 Answers
    • What would happen to the price of chicken if the supply for beef increased?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in May 2015.

Interview

The first round was a 30-min numerical test followed by a verbal reasoning test. Nothing too impossible if you're used to doing it. Got an email a week later to come back for the second round which was a 3-part case study and an interview with a senior member of the staff The case study was pretty interesting, you're given 30 minutes to read the case and estimate damages, another 30 minutes to discuss and present your ideas to an economist, before getting another 30 minutes to summarize everything you've discussed on a laptop. The interview consisted of some competency questions as well as questions testing your economic concepts so be sure to read up on it.

Interview Questions

• How would you check if two goods are of the same market   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Got contacted for a first round consisting in a numerical reasoning test and a verbal reasoning test. 30 minutes for each of them (25 questions for the numerical and 22 for the verbal), with non specific preparation required. After the tests,brief (10-15 minutes) behavioral interview with a junior economist. Second round was a case study (damages estimation) requiring to write a 2 pages report in 45 minutes, plus a 90 minutes interview with a senior member including few technical questions (econometrics and I.O. above all) and behavioral ones (tell me about a time when...)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an empirical work you did, research question, how did the dataset look like   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Similar to GMAT Test. First a numerical Test, which was not too difficult if you are good with mental math. Followed by a verbal test, mostly they test on grammar and your comprehension skills. Lastly, a simple motivational interview that lasted about 15 minutes. The interviewer is a junior economist and he was really friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what do you know about Economic consulting and what do we do at Compass Lexecon?   Answer Question
    • What attributes make you suitable for the job?   Answer Question