Complete Genomics Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.7

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial email contact by hiring manager (Not HR/Recruiter) Phone interview with hiring manager In person interview with HR and 2 hiring managers 1.5 weeks to get offer Total process took about 3 weeks. Interview questions: Extreme technical and knowledge base (Not your typical strength and weakness kind of questions). I basically explain every laboratory procedures I have ever done.

Interview Questions

• Technical stuff: know your basic biology, chemistry procedure, especially PCR   Answer Question

Lab Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager contacted me via email 20 days after I had applied online. He scheduled a time for 30 min phone screening and called exactly on time as decided. I got a phone call and was first introduced in detail about the project they were hiring for.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions covered every detail aspect of my resume including my qualifications, work experience and every project. Many technical questions related to the skill set were asked.   Answer Question

Senior Scientist/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Headhunter led to phone interview with Dept VP, then informal on-site lasting about 90 minutes with VP and a director. . Then to 3/4 day meeting half of department, then another half day meeting a few more people. Most people were scientist/engineer types who had read the resume, but mostly just jumped to talking details about past work, project challenges, or places we might have worked in common. The department heads put a bit more into asking some of the routine 'will you stick your head in a noose' boilerplate questions that you politely sidestep, and then chatted a bit on the challenges of the company and whether not having a biology background would hurt if you're not doing biology. (not really). Pretty well run in terms of stuff staying on schedule, HR getting directions to the building to me ahead of time, and the other standard stuff.

Interview Questions

• how would you diagnose a hardware system that was having excessive signal to noise problems from a camera that measures fluorescent signals?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate on salary. It will be *very* useful to ask ahead of time what the Radford survey equivalent is for the job you are looking for, and then research that title on something like Salary.com. Being able to say 'that title earns about $NNN K per year in Mountain View in medium sized Biotech with my level of experience' is a good non-confrontational way to counter the first offer. You may be able to get a signing bonus is you're leaving some other place with pending rewards you'll forego.

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview then in person interview at the HQ in Palo Alto. had interview with each person in the team for 40 minutes each. nothing much to brainstorm. but more of explanation of what you did, and some random technical questions to see if you are as skilled as stated on resume.

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I went through the initial phone screen process with the hiring manager, and then went on-site for some rounds of in-person interviews with the team and the manager. Everything seemed to go fine, to the point that the hiring manager made every indication that he wanted to keep in touch throughout the process, and seemed extremely eager to do so. I sent a follow-up e-mail a few days later, and heard nothing back. Another week goes by and I reach out to the HR contact. Nothing. Absolute crickets from them. It's certainly not the most professional experience I have ever had and, like they say, better to find out now.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Meeting with hiring manager, then internal staff and VPs. Technical and networking questions.

Interview Questions

• What types of DNA recombination events would have a 1:8 distribution?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wait and see what they offer, contain your enthusiasm.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Cordial, professional, disinterested. they asked for a presentation to "see how I think" because "the last applicant wouldn't allow us to tell".? ;D I gave a presentation I told them would not overlap at all with their current opening and they said "great". They didn't show much interest in my presentation but when it was over did begin to question me about statistical details of the job they couldn't give much detail to help me answer yet appeared to want detailed answers. The real gotcha came for their biostatistician who inquired how I would deal with "over-fit". I asked what he meant and then he took the lead and essentially lectured me about split-half sampling. When i countered with "that is a de facto standard in all data mining" and "we could also bootstrap our way through this unknown set of independent data elements you can't tell me anything about right now". When I expressed a natural curiosity regarding why they were so worried about over-fit when they'd not yet attempted to ever model this problem with current staff and got essentially blank stares back.

Interview Questions

• hwo would you deal with overfit   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics in March 2012.

Interview

Initially got a phone interview from the company's recruiter. The phone interview was very basic and asked about my previous work experience based on my resume. The recruiter was very polite and knowledgeable about the field but was skeptical about my visa situation (as I needed a work visa sponsorship to work in the US). After a 2 week wait period, the recruiter assured me that the issue was sorted out and I was flown in for an on-site interview. Met several people ranging from potential supervisor to potential co-workers who were very nice and asked me questions about my experience and resume. I was given a brief overview of the nature of the job and what I can expect in a daily scenario. Finally I was shown around the company and given a brief tour of the working process. I asked a lot of questions too for which they were very eager and excited to answer. At this point, I was sure I had nailed the interview as people were generally impressed by my profile. Followed up a week later and was told that my references will be contacted soon as I was a high priority. Another 2 weeks later, I was told that I wouldn't be offered the job because the company decided not to sponsor my work visa as they were only willing to sponsor work visas for senior level positions. Needless to say, I was very upset and disappointed to hear this as they could have told me this in the very early stages instead of putting me through an emotional roller-coaster. I wish they could be more open with future candidates about their policies so that others don't go through what I did. Overall, it was a great learning experience with very nice people though I am very dejected on losing a potentially great job solely on the basis of work visa sponsorship.

Interview Questions

• What quality makes you a good fit for the production side?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics in March 2012.

Interview

I got phone interview and still waiting for on-site interview

Scientific Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Complete Genomics in October 2011.

Interview

I was called for an onsite interview, being assured(in writting) that the expenses will be covered by the company(CGI). I did not received a single message from them since. The round trip took me 5 days and cost 1000$. One may ask in what extent their statment "Our employees are treated with dignity and respect" is true. My advice to applicants: be skeptical when they offer you a 'paid' interview. Good luck ! Dr. A.D.