Complete Genomics

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Complete Genomics in March 2010.

Interview Details – Cordial, professional, disinterested.

they asked for a presentation to "see how I think" because "the last applicant wouldn't allow us to tell".? ;D

I gave a presentation I told them would not overlap at all with their current opening and they said "great". They didn't show much interest in my presentation but when it was over did begin to question me about statistical details of the job they couldn't give much detail to help me answer yet appeared to want detailed answers.

The real gotcha came for their biostatistician who inquired how I would deal with "over-fit". I asked what he meant and then he took the lead and essentially lectured me about split-half sampling. When i countered with "that is a de facto standard in all data mining" and "we could also bootstrap our way through this unknown set of independent data elements you can't tell me anything about right now".

When I expressed a natural curiosity regarding why they were so worried about over-fit when they'd not yet attempted to ever model this problem with current staff and got essentially blank stares back.

Interview Question – hwo would you deal with overfit   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Complete Genomics in August 2010.

Interview Details – It is a very long process. There may be something going on in the back that I am not aware of.

Interview Question – Why you would like to work here.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Complete Genomics? Contribute to the Community!

Complete Genomics – Why Work for Us?

About Us Complete Genomics is a leader in accurate whole human genomic sequencing based in Mountain View, California. Using our proprietary sequencing instruments, chemistry, and software, we have sequenced more than… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Complete Genomics Senior Scientist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Complete Genomics employees and interview candidates.