ComponentOne

Very Difficult Interview

Information Technology Interview

Information Technology
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ComponentOne in January 2008.

Interview Details – This review is actually from a couple years ago. I just found this website, and thinking of information that I could offer, this negative experience immediately, and solely, came to mind as the worst interview process I had ever been a part of.

I had found out about an open position at this company through a friend of an acquaintance. Through that contact, I then contacted the manager of that open position.

Asking around about the company, I had heard from a couple people that this is a good company to work for. However, my experience in the interview process was one of the most uncomfortable and awkward that I've ever had - actually relieving me that I wasn't offered a position.

The good part was that when I did get a face-to-face interview, I was interviewed by this manager who I would be reporting to directly, as well as a team leader type of person from the same team. So, it felt good to be interviewed by future coworkers, instead of an HR rep.

But, from the very beginning, it wasn't good. I have a honorable military background, which I put on my resume. I'm not entirely sure if this manager actually had a military background themselves (because they refused to answer any friendly inquiries that I posed back to them), but when the manager first called me for a phone interview, they immediately started grilling me on the UCMJ and uniform and inspection policies in the military.

This wasn't at all like two veterans bonding over similar experiences in the military, or a civilian interested in learning more about the military. I felt absolutely accosted and dressed-down by his demanding questions. Being caught off-guard by this unexpected segue in the phone interview, I'm sure that I got some questions wrong just out of nervousness. Either way, they didn't acknowledge why they were asking them, or if I had gotten any of them correct. When I asked if I had gotten a question correct, they ignored me, and immediately asked another question - interrupting me a couple times.

I handled it as best as I could, trying to be friendly, open, and jovial, and asking them about their military experiences. They ignored my questions, and just continued on with them for an extended period of time.

I felt as if my position for this IT company depended on my memory of military rules and regulations from several years back - something completely unrelated to the position that I was interviewing for. I felt like just offering my DD214 to them, in case they didn't believe me, just to put an end to it.

That is also when I first questioned myself on whether I would want to work for this person at this company.

We scheduled a face-to-face interview. From the phone interview, I knew that this person was very serious and curt, and not very pleasant. So, in preparing for the face-to-face interview, I wanted to match that tone of the interview by showing my more serious side (but obviously not being as curt or unpleasant as they were being).

This did not go over well, either. During the interveiw, in response to their seriousness, my seriousness only seemed to aggravate and frustrate them.

I did call a couple days later to check on the status of my interview, but never heard anything from anyone ever again about it.

Interview Question – What is your first general order?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for ComponentOne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ComponentOne Information Technology interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by ComponentOne employees and interview candidates.