CompuCom

2.8

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

SharePoint Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CompuCom in April 2014.

I was submitted to the position through Insight Global, who had an exclusive claim to this position. I was first interviewed via telephone by the hiring manager at 4:00 PM, who works remotely in Houston. Because this was a contract-to-hire position, they were able to move really quickly. I interviewed in person with the rest of the team the very next day at noon. I was pretty sure they had decided to hire me, but there were other factors that kept the actual hiring from happening immediately. It only took about a week, then I went through the background check and drug test (no credit check, I was worried initially, my credit is TERRIBLE, so if they'd hire me, they'll hire anyone with credit issues, probably as long as you're not working with finances or payroll.) I started working about 2 weeks after the dizzyingly fast interview process. The position was an internal position with CompuCom, not a position that would be contracted out to CompuCom's clients. I imagine that process takes longer to get hired into a permanent position (not contract-to-hire), but CompuCom has the ability to move very quickly if they aren't depending on their end client to have input into the decision.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about very technical things I did not have the knowledge of before the interview, but I was honest and told them which things I did not have experience with and they were fine with those answers. It's likely cultural among the SharePoint team to want to train someone to do those things they don't yet know how, but they also have a robust training plan for training newly hired help desk support personnel.

Of course, they asked some behavioral questions like "tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you handled it" and "tell me how you would handle a particularly difficult to handle client." All in all, the interview was very non-threatening and I did secure the position.

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, because it is contract-to-hire and you make an agreement on rate before you interview. You really can't negotiate a different salary or you risk losing the position. We did discuss a conversion salary after 6 months when the position is slated to go perm. I hope there is no more negotiation at that point, because I will be happy with what we discussed.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CompuCom in August 2013.

I reached out to the VP of Finance via. LinkedIn, she felt my background was relevant and forwarded my resume to the hiring manager who reported to her. I visited with her in Dallas at my expense and met with 3, including her people. She was lovely, as was the would be peer I met. I via. phone had 10 interviews with her staff in Rhode Island and Boston. Truth be told, I should have not been bothered, I sensed the personnel on the east coast, had no intention in ever hiring me and there was contention between Dallas and Boston. Boston asked about my volunteer work and worried it may take away from my time on the job, I assured this has never been an issue in the past. The interviewed proceeded to relevant work experience, which I had tons of, however the concern now was did I work too many hours, because CompuCom was a firm supporter of work/life balance. I really wish they would have made up there mind as to what they were looking for. I feel I was a pawn in their game. I emailed Tony Doye a wonderfully, composed letter telling him why he should hire me, disclosing my interviewing nightmare, he proceeded to forward my resume to the HR department, who promptly forwarded a thanks but no thanks email, including incorrect spelling in their form letter, which I promptly sent a thank you back and copied the CEO office. One would think this would prompt a follow-up, NO. It is clear to me, if this company continues to treat applicants, who are truly qualified in this fashion, they will have a very untalented employee base, needless to say, I was not impressed. One final comment, they called all my references, all which were impeccable, one from an Executive VP, I had reported to at Level 3 Communications, a very reputable company.

Interview Questions
    • Try to explain why a Senior Analyst does NOT do journal entries, this was a point of concern for Boston. Perhaps CompuCom should realize this is a Jr. Accountant function and entry into the corporate accounting systems should be strictly controlled.   Answer Question

Help Desk Support Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in July 2013.

The interview was incredibly easy. I went in on a thursday night around 7:00 PM and was met with two stereotypical "gamer" looking guys in jeans and t-shirts which put me at ease though I felt a little over-dressed. Really though, the interview consisted of being asked why I wanted to work there, what I had done in the past, some superficial flipping through my resume, and some small talk. After that I was asked if I knew what ping was which I somehow impressed them by explaining more "than most of the candidates [they] had spoken to" (how is that possible for something like ping?)

Then they had me role play tech support with them being the client...they said their laptop wouldn't connect to wi-fi...I asked them if the hardware switch was on, they told me I was hired. The job, just like the interview is very simple and straightforward, you may want to consider if this is a position you really want to take or even a company you really want to work for if you're above entry level. If you are entry level on the other hand, don't take that as a slap to them, this is a great place to get started out and learn the ropes.

Interview Questions
    • Personal questions about hobbies etc. I may have been overthinking it but I felt like they were trying to figure something out about me.   View Answer

NOC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CompuCom.

I got the offer from a recruiter in Robert Half Technology,he called me and set an appointment in Robert Half Tech and asked me some personal questions and then send me a link that was a 50 multiple choice questions about Cisco routers and switches,the questions were like Cisco academy ones...

It was night shifts

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CompuCom in June 2012.

Overall this company is a bit old and stodgy. Their pay scales aren't that great and they appear to work people to death. The corporate headquarters is worn looking and once you get into the inside it becomes even more apparent. Their employees think the benefits and salary are fantastic - I have news for them. The initial interview was positive but the panel interview was not very professional. You could tell they were trying to put the person on the spot. Definitely behavioral interviews. Overall "could I work with this person, are they nice" took precedence over how well the person would adapt to the position. The position was new and I felt they were poorly prepared and had unrealistic expectations in terms of time and materials for the position and the projects they envisioned. One of the two panel interviewers was almost hostile and the other was pleasant but appeared to reserve judgement. Definitely didn't want to hear that things might take more time than they anticipated. Thus it was good that I didn't get the position because I think I would have spent 90% of my time justifying time and resources on deliverables. I've seen companies hire people in positions like this before under similar circumstances - six months later they're looking for a new person because either the person quits - or the organization terminates them - in either case they're left looking for a new person again too soon. If you interview for a similar position make certain you're prepared to deliver what they want in the time frames they suggest and be very specific. Also insure you have a good command of all the software they use because you're not going to receive much inside support. You'll need a thick skin on this team and great self-esteem because these are rough-hewn team members.

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at CompuCom in September 2010.

When I started pretty much all hires were 90 days temp to perm. So I went through an agency to be hired on. The recruiter gave me a list of questions they would ask, what is an outlook pst, a template .dot file. Then a mock user to you agent situation where the goal is to either make you crack and get angry or break down and cry. So to see how you handle an angry caller. At this point in this companies place in the market/profit happiness, they only care about how you will search in the knowledge base or google for the technical answer and handle an angry caller because you really have no technical experience and you don't lose your cool when it gets obvious you are incompetent at what you do.

Either way keep your cool and answer all questions with I'm no completely sure but I would search the knowledge base or online and you're golden. Show up everyday on time and they'll never fire you because you're hired on at $15 an hour and if you take 2-3 calls an hour and create a ticket, you're making money for the company.

They used to require an a+ certification after 90 days, but now it's obvious they don't/can't expect it with the talent they hire on these days.

If you can keep your cool and act like you know enough to get through the interview, then you're good for CompuCom. Just remember that if you are good enough to get your A+ and learn from what you do there, you don't belong there and get out after 2-3 years max.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about no raises, but more work year after year?   View Answer
    What is your breaking point of being whipped for years?

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in October 2009.

The recruiter was told 2 managers would be interviewing me after my 1:1 phone interview; this was not correct. 5...yes FIVE managers interviewed me for a position that paid less than $40k a year.

The interview is absolutely EASY to pass. If you know basic networking, basic MS Office 2007/2010 questions and a little bit about Windows 7 (with outlook, configuring themes, shortcuts and fixing common driver issues over the phone) you will do fine..

Interview Questions
    • You have 3 computers all connected to the same network. The middle one cannot get to Google.com and the other two can. What would you do to start checking for issues?   View Answer
    • How would you walk a user through adding a member to a distribution list?   View Answer
    They will offer you the absolutely lowest the position pays for whichever client is interested in you. ALWAYS ask for 20% more hourly than what they offer, because if you nailed the interview...you will get it. You might have to come on with the temp agency for the first 90 days at a certain rate, but if you're nailing the job...make sure to be honest that you'll expect $XX.XX/ hour if you're brought on full time.

My suggestion is you ALWAYS ask for $18/hour because that is the going rate on the majority of the clients

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in June 2009.

I was referred by an internal VP and knew all executives

Interview Questions
    I tried negotiating my salary as I was leaving a lot of money on the table leaving my previous company, hard to negotiate, they are tough to give more money.

Solution Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CompuCom in May 2009.

Phone interviews or onsite interviews with 7 different people in the organization. Previously held similar position at company. Interviews began in February where I was told a decision would be made within a few weeks which turned into 3 months. Personal belief is that COO got involved and took the hiring process out of the Business Unit owners hands. Final interview was with COO himself. Business Unit manager was most non-communicative after first few weeks which led to my viewpoint. I had known and worked with many of the individuals I interviewed along the way and received very positive feedback regarding my candidacy being their personal choice.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience putting service solutions together for companies?   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in March 2008.

The interview is a one-on-one with the hiring manager for the group you will be working for. You are not anywhere near the floor or group you will be working with when you are brought in. So, you will have no initial view of the work culture. The interview will include some questions that may be beyond your technical expertise to see how well you work in "unknown" situations.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was allowed.