CompuCom

Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.3

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CompuCom in June 2012.

Overall this company is a bit old and stodgy. Their pay scales aren't that great and they appear to work people to death. The corporate headquarters is worn looking and once you get into the inside it becomes even more apparent. Their employees think the benefits and salary are fantastic - I have news for them. The initial interview was positive but the panel interview was not very professional. You could tell they were trying to put the person on the spot. Definitely behavioral interviews. Overall "could I work with this person, are they nice" took precedence over how well the person would adapt to the position. The position was new and I felt they were poorly prepared and had unrealistic expectations in terms of time and materials for the position and the projects they envisioned. One of the two panel interviewers was almost hostile and the other was pleasant but appeared to reserve judgement. Definitely didn't want to hear that things might take more time than they anticipated. Thus it was good that I didn't get the position because I think I would have spent 90% of my time justifying time and resources on deliverables. I've seen companies hire people in positions like this before under similar circumstances - six months later they're looking for a new person because either the person quits - or the organization terminates them - in either case they're left looking for a new person again too soon. If you interview for a similar position make certain you're prepared to deliver what they want in the time frames they suggest and be very specific. Also insure you have a good command of all the software they use because you're not going to receive much inside support. You'll need a thick skin on this team and great self-esteem because these are rough-hewn team members.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in March 2008.

The interview is a one-on-one with the hiring manager for the group you will be working for. You are not anywhere near the floor or group you will be working with when you are brought in. So, you will have no initial view of the work culture. The interview will include some questions that may be beyond your technical expertise to see how well you work in "unknown" situations.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was allowed.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in October 2008.

Phone interview and an in-person interview.

none

Deployment Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in October 2013.

Great people to work with! The interview process was very nice since it was done over the phone.

Interview Questions
    The job was offered and I accepted. They said welcome aboard.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CompuCom in April 2014.

Worst they take interview and finally they say, your salary is high

Interview Questions

International PM for Rolls Royce Spinoff of Their ENergy Division to Siemens Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CompuCom in May 2014.

FaceTime video call dropped 3 times and was filled with a distracted UK caller.....Dilbert would be proud !
    Surprised to get a request to attend Security Training prior to signing on as a contractor. I invested a few hours and thought the client was great. Basically, outsourcing this Separation of the Energy Division is destined to ruin the Rolls Royce / Siemens business relationship.

N/A

SharePoint Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CompuCom in April 2014.

I was submitted to the position through Insight Global, who had an exclusive claim to this position. I was first interviewed via telephone by the hiring manager at 4:00 PM, who works remotely in Houston. Because this was a contract-to-hire position, they were able to move really quickly. I interviewed in person with the rest of the team the very next day at noon. I was pretty sure they had decided to hire me, but there were other factors that kept the actual hiring from happening immediately. It only took about a week, then I went through the background check and drug test (no credit check, I was worried initially, my credit is TERRIBLE, so if they'd hire me, they'll hire anyone with credit issues, probably as long as you're not working with finances or payroll.) I started working about 2 weeks after the dizzyingly fast interview process. The position was an internal position with CompuCom, not a position that would be contracted out to CompuCom's clients. I imagine that process takes longer to get hired into a permanent position (not contract-to-hire), but CompuCom has the ability to move very quickly if they aren't depending on their end client to have input into the decision.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about very technical things I did not have the knowledge of before the interview, but I was honest and told them which things I did not have experience with and they were fine with those answers. It's likely cultural among the SharePoint team to want to train someone to do those things they don't yet know how, but they also have a robust training plan for training newly hired help desk support personnel.

Of course, they asked some behavioral questions like "tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you handled it" and "tell me how you would handle a particularly difficult to handle client." All in all, the interview was very non-threatening and I did secure the position.

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, because it is contract-to-hire and you make an agreement on rate before you interview. You really can't negotiate a different salary or you risk losing the position. We did discuss a conversion salary after 6 months when the position is slated to go perm. I hope there is no more negotiation at that point, because I will be happy with what we discussed.

Supply Chain Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CompuCom.

HR contacted me and when I called her back, she didn't get back to me until 3 months later. I realize now, that I should have saw that as a sign. Later I had three interviews all which lasted about an hour.

Horrible. They kept asking me what I was looking for in a salary. I told them and they acted like it was fine. When they called me, they offered me 4K less than what I said during my interviews. I tried to negotiate more and they came up 1K.

Staff Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CompuCom.

The interview was pleasant, and six-month contract before the direct hire.During the contracting they did not tell me I was on a probationary test. Being proficient at what I did and proving myself to be a capable installation technician. It was near the end of the project that I was finally told CompuCom would like to hire me.

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at CompuCom in September 2010.

When I started pretty much all hires were 90 days temp to perm. So I went through an agency to be hired on. The recruiter gave me a list of questions they would ask, what is an outlook pst, a template .dot file. Then a mock user to you agent situation where the goal is to either make you crack and get angry or break down and cry. So to see how you handle an angry caller. At this point in this companies place in the market/profit happiness, they only care about how you will search in the knowledge base or google for the technical answer and handle an angry caller because you really have no technical experience and you don't lose your cool when it gets obvious you are incompetent at what you do.

Either way keep your cool and answer all questions with I'm no completely sure but I would search the knowledge base or online and you're golden. Show up everyday on time and they'll never fire you because you're hired on at $15 an hour and if you take 2-3 calls an hour and create a ticket, you're making money for the company.

They used to require an a+ certification after 90 days, but now it's obvious they don't/can't expect it with the talent they hire on these days.

If you can keep your cool and act like you know enough to get through the interview, then you're good for CompuCom. Just remember that if you are good enough to get your A+ and learn from what you do there, you don't belong there and get out after 2-3 years max.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about no raises, but more work year after year?   View Answer
    What is your breaking point of being whipped for years?