Con Edison of New York Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Sep 6, 2014

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in February 2013.

Phone call to screen applicant qualifications and then an in person interview.

GOLD Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in January 2013.

Behavioral interview over the phone that was about 30 minutes. Actual interview at the New York office. Most of the interview was technical, with a lot of emphasis on project planning. The in office interview consisted of two interviewers that alternated asking questions. One would ask the question the other take notes.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to get the average number of customers in a bank over the course of the week how would you do it? You cannot talk to any of the customers, you only have 30 minutes at the bank to figure out the average.   View Answer

GOLD Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Con Edison of New York in January 2013.

Interviewed by two previous program participants. First 10 questions were technical (related to my specific field) and the rest were behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in billing, how would you handle an irate customer who has claimed to pay their bill but proof of payment is not showing up on the company computers?   Answer Question

Part Time Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Con Edison of New York.

First round of computerized testing with basic analytical and comprehension questions. Took around 2 to 4 hours to complete everything.
    If you pass the first round, you will be scheduled for customer simulations. It involves listening to a series of actual calls from customers and you are supposed to reply in the same way.

Interview Questions
    • The interview involves a series of scenarios and how you would react.   Answer Question

Engineering Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in October 2012.

The hiring process went as expected there were no surprises. The questions were mostly about explaining how I work with others, telling them about a time when I solved a problem and the results of it. what are my goals? What would I do if I had a friend who stole an item from the company how would I handle that situation? These were basic questions that should be practiced before hand. If you practice you will land the job.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in September 2012.

Contacted by a 3rd party agency over the phone. This process dragged on a bit longer than I liked but eventually, I got another call for a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted by a member of the team I was to be a part of. A week after the phone interview, I was called in for an onsite interview with 3 senior members of the same team for a panel interview. It was fairly straight forward with them mostly asking me about my work history.

Interview Questions
    Since it was a contracting position, there were no negotiations.

Bilingual Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in April 2012.

Initial call was to take an assessment test which consisted of five parts and was timed - approx 3 hours. After passing that my next test was for a role play type scenario where you are given examples and have to play the CSR and provide the best resolution. The next challenge was a panel interview which was approx 1 hour long which consisted of many questions about your previous employers and also given scenarios where you provide to them the best solution. Overall it was a good experience and encourage everyone to apply. Currently waiting for next training class to start to begin.

Interview Questions
    • During the day a customer calls in to pay to have their services turned on, right after the phone call ends your manager calls you over to discuss some things and upon your return you forget to put the order through to have services turned on. Its now the end of your day and your about to enter your apt/home and just remembered that you forgot to place the order - what would do?   View Answer

Customer Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in April 2012.

First exam is fully computerized, it will check your English knowledge, basic math and vocabulary; some people will loose their chance to continue after the first part if this exam. In the first part is no calculators, you need to do some math and reasoning. They will give you calculators to solve second part, I got lost a bit in meter ratings, but since it was a timed test, I tried to guess for my best knowledge. If you pass it, they will let you know by phone and then email. Then second exam is scheduled, it is simulated customer interaction, you will hear how CS speaks and then will record your own and listen to it, and then in graded section you will be given a chance to come up with your own words to speak to a customer (prior recorded). Before you leave, they will let you know if your work is accepted. The result of this test if positive, will end up in a congratulation call to schedule your panel interview in a call center directly. Two persons will give you series of questions read from a booklet to see how you will handle different situations, behave with difficult customer, or describe your abilities. That was a hard part for me, I not such a good speaker, so I got an email like on 3rd day, that I did not pass it. If I would it would end up in 6-8 week training, full time from 8-4:30pm in their Queens based Learning Center (very nice facility, testing is done there), and then job placement at any given shift, part time 20 hours a week, any type of weather. The position is an entry point for may jobs with ConEd, so I see why they always hire. Lately I heard, that you can reapply in 6 month if you did not pass again. Not sure if I would.

Interview Questions
    • How would you behave if a customer is very angry and cursing and it's a second customer already?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in March 2012.

Applied online. Within a couple of weeks I was invited by e-mail to participate in a phone interview. Phone interview was with several managers. I felt fairly neutral about the process, however people on the other end of the phone seemed a bit disinterested. Was invited to participate in the next step of the process by preparing a report based on a set of facts which was e-mailed to me. I subsequently declined and withdrew myself from consideration.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to use your own car in performing your duties.   View Answer

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Con Edison of New York in January 2012.

Performed phone interview with two managers asking technical questions on Active Directory, DNS, MainFrame, Windows shortcuts, DHCP and networking.

Second part was a two person face to face interview, that is more personal and they want a brief history about yourself. Past experiences dealing with customers, how to handle stressful situations, how to deal in a environment or working alone

Interview Questions

They told me I was their second choice. (Probably what they tell everyone)