Con-way Freight

www.con-way.com
Employer Engaged

Con-way Freight Interview Questions

Updated Dec 29, 2014
Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.6

Freight Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Con-way Freight.

First interview went great asked the basic questions. what is customer service? have you managed people before? how have you solved a difficult task? what was the outcome of the task you solved? what skills can you provide to our company? why should we hire you? tell us more about yourself

Interview Questions
    no negotiation you sign a contract

User Experience Research Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Con-way Freight.

It was a very disappointing experience as I came perfectly prepared and the company was not. I got many sorts of conflicting information.

First, I met with HR, who said the entire team got an email this morning so everything was ready. They made sure I would have a Mac adapter, which I requested, and I was actually going for a 2 hr interview (not 1 hr as previously stated). She said I was meeting with one person from UX, and then the entire team. I said that was fine, even though it was not as planned.

When I met with actually 2 people from UX, they seemed surprised I had a presentation, which I was told to prepared. They also did not have an adapter, and seemed to have never heard of a request. Luckily, I came ready with a flash drive in case this happened. Then, they ended the interview at 1 hr, and i asked where I was going next, but they said it was only a 1 hr interview, and they'll ask me back after discussion. One person didn't seem to know what project they were hiring for.

I'm not sure where the breakdown in communication was, but it was one of the most disorganized experiences I've been through.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where the job was very political and you were asked to change directions multiple times.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Con-way Freight.

meet with the HR Manager and got asked a few questions. I just used my personal experience to answer some of the simple questions. The Interview took no more than 30 min and i was able to land the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    They gave me the starting rate for a CSR and I took it

Freight Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Con-way Freight.

The hiring went well. It can take awhile since they use a outsource vendor to do the background check. They were not fun to deal with but once everything was settled on boarding was simple. Benefits were immediately and the HR department was fast.

Freight Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Con-way Freight in June 2014.

Received email invite to one-on-one interview with assistant location manager. Took about 4 days from the time I submitted my résumé. Interview was very two-way -- lots of good info passing in each direction. Good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a company policy or decision and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Our 4 core values are xyz. How would you demonstrate one of these values to our team?   Answer Question

Sounds like using temp workers has not been successful and getting the skillsets they want is not happening at many locations. While they are working out their next move, they're working their drivers on the docks and working their supe's -- correction, admitting to working their supe's -- 10+ hours a day, 5 days a week. That's what they are admitting to, keep in mind. This old dog interprets that to mean that their short-term solution will become a long-term fix. They don't make a salary gonna compensate me for that much time on a dock with no end in sight! Pass.

Dock-worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Con-way Freight in May 2014.

May 19, 2014, I was interview for a position for Con-way freight, everything went very well in all areas. had no problems with the interview at all, I up skilled.......

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Con-way Freight.

I submitted my resume to a staffing company called Spherion and they set up an interview with Lori. I will hear back at the end of the week when the interviewing process has been completed with candidates.
    Be familiar with what they do. Dress very professionally. No tattoos or piercings showing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had a disagreement with your boss.
      What was the most difficult situation you had with a customer and how did you deal with it.

View Answer
    • You said you do well with Microsoft Office, Please rate yourself on a 1-10 scale with the following: Microsoft Office, Access, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point?   Answer Question

Freight Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Con-way Freight in September 2013.

Applied online, got a call within a week from MGMT to schedule an interview. The face to face interview was with one of the managers at location. It was straight forward, a good amount of situational questions. Overall, went well but had a 3 week delay before a call back by an HR person, who had a casual 15 minute conversation with me. A few days after that, I got a job offer. Went in to sign, and that is where big issues came up. They had a take it or leave it policy, no room for negotiation, sign on the spot type attitude. Within 15 seconds of looking at the letter, I had management state, "you can decline the offer if you want". Had to call the original HR specialist to see if I could have 24 hours to decide. There is no overtime for managers, on call, weekends, odd shifts, etc. You are expected to relocate within region, they did state that they reimburse (doubtful). In my opinion, there is not enough transparency in this process, which means we are going to take you for everything your worth, work you like a dog for 2 years, and find a reason to lay you off. Not a company I would want to work for due to their subculture. Would have been a nice start if they would be willing to negotiate.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time where you had to break company policy to get work done.   View Answer

They did not want to negotiate salary, no OT, eventual bad quality of life, not enough transparency on their job offer, subculture seemed not to care about employee needs, relocation to god knows where. Standards of rate was not justifiable due to prior salaries and education that included a industry/company helpful Master's Degree. Pay people for what they are worth and you will get the productivity.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Con-way Freight in April 2013.

Interviewed with 5 people - Management, Project Manager & Team members

Interview Questions
    Came in as contractor - not much negotiation

Freight Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Con-way Freight.

Heard about the position through Brigham Young Universities career services. I originally emailed my information directly to the Service Center Manager, but he also told me to fill out the application online. I got a call the next day to set up an interview for the following week. I was jointly interviewed by the Service Center Manager and the HR representative at the center. The interview took about 45 minutes. I have not yet heard back on whether I got the position or not.

Interview Questions
    • The two hardest questions came in a pair:
      1) Describe a time when you had to go against company policy in order to meet a goal or accomplish a task.
      2) Describe a time when you stuck to company policy even though it resulted in greater pressure/problems for you.

View Answer