Condé Nast Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2014

2.5

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast.

Very to the point, no time wasted, edit test given (editorial department)

Other Interview Reviews for Condé Nast

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Condé Nast.

straight-forward phone interview, decision took about 3 weeks

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Condé Nast.

I applied online by sending a direct email. I was contacted the next day for an interview and was hired within a week. The process was smooth and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Your past experience doesn't show that you have the skill for this position. Why are you interested in something like this?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Condé Nast.

Applied by sending in my resume and cover letter online. A lot of people get their internship through connects but I just sent mine in on a whim and got offered an interview so don't feel discouraged!

If selected, there is only one interview, which you are given the option to do over Skype or in person. They" highly recommend" you go in person so I did, however I met people who received an offer through Skype so either way could work.

When you apply you're applying to Conde Nast as a whole, but during your actual interview you are asked what your favorite brands are which could sway their decision on where they place you.

The interview is not tricky rather it's very standard. They ask you about what you've done in school and your former work. It's really important to give them everything you want them to know about yourself because they leave it up to you to fill them in. My interviewer was very friendly and it was more so conversational. However, before your interview you wait in a giant room with chairs in a circle so you can stare at everyone about to be interviewed which is naturally very uncomfortable.

I was dressed way more casual than most which scared me a lot, but after accepting a position I learned that the dress code is pretty casual due to the company's fashion-forward environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Why Conde Nast?" it sounds standard but there really weren't too many out of the box questions. I think that you have to choose carefully how you answer this. Most people interviewing worship the company so you have to go beyond telling them why you like it to make it personal and honest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Condé Nast.

The interview was for a position as a marketing & public relations intern at one of the Conde Nast publications. The interview was fairly informal, taking place with a director and another employee. I was asked about my resume, my thoughts on the industry, and my view of social media. I demonstrated competence in these areas and was offered the position of intern.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast in March 2013.

I received this interview through mutual connections. It was a pretty straightforward interview, although I was surprised to meet two more team members in addition to the one I was in communication with. I was asked general questions regarding my education and experience, nothing new. Obviously, I was asked about my knowledge about the publication as well-- so do your research!

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about if I could name an editor who could best fit the aesthetic of the magazine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Condé Nast in January 2013.

Submitted application online in December, was interviewed in New York in January, followed up in March and received offer beginning of April.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the magazine publishing industry going in the next few years? What are the distinguishing features of your favorite Conde Nast magazines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast in December 2012.

You definitely need to dress fashionably, but professionally. They make snap judgments on you based on what you're wearing, so come prepared.
    They ask you about your work ethic and what your past experience looks like. They interview a lot of people, so it's important to impress them with your eloquence and kind but firm manner. Mainly, they ask you to sell yourself. Make sure to send a card-- not a hallmark card, but a nice, unique boutique-style card (because they do receive a lot of products with cards in beautiful packaging, so in order to stand out you should get pretty stationary. Keep it brief, but enchanting.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite magazine and fashion designers (not brands- designers). This can be tricky, because most people only know the name of the brand, not the designer.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Condé Nast in June 2012.

I was contacted via e-mail to come in for an interview. She asked me different questions and we just talked. She then told me she would let me know after a week. I received an e-mail a week later saying they wanted to have me intern with them. Be prepared for long days but overall was educational if you want to intern for a fashion magazine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Condé Nast in March 2012.

I applied online over winter break (by the January deadline), and got an email back about scheduling an interview mid-March. You could either go to NY to interview in person or interview via Skype. By the first week in April we were notified via email we were accepted and had a week to formally accept or decline the internship.

The interview lasted 15-20 minutes and my interviewer was super nice and made it relaxing over Skype, which is inherently awkward. Definitely know the company and throw in some facts when you're talking about it (i.e. I know you have X number of magazines and the first one went to tablet in 2010). Also, study the brands you are interested in and know them really well - maybe throw in your favorite article from the most recent issue in conversation.

Since it was an intern interview, questions were pretty basic, but they definitely ask follow up questions to things you say, so when I talked about being a leader, my interviewer asked what I thought made an effective leader and what my leadership style was like. I answered using examples from my time on the student paper. Also, make sure you know sort of what you want to do- it doesn't have to be clearly defined, they know you are an intern, but know whether you want to be on editorial or advertising.

Interview Questions
    • Questions:
      - Why do you want to work for CN?
      - What skills do you have that make you a good fit for this job?
      - Tell me about your roles at X internship?
      - Why are you interested in social media?
      - What do you think makes an effective leader?
      - What brands are you interested in working for? Why?
      - Where do you see yourself in five years?
      - What are your greatest assets you can bring to CN?
        Answer Question

Worked for Condé Nast? Contribute to the Community!