Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent the director of engineering an e-mail along with my linkedin and links to side projects. He sent me an e-mail shortly after to schedule a phone interview with his assistant. I received a call from him with another person on the line, I'm assuming the person was a software engineer on the team. First they ask if I have any questions for them. Then phone call went straight to technical questions, no behavioral questions. The technical questions did not compose of any algorithm or coding questions... it was more networks and how to set up the environment.

Interview Questions

• 1) Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar.
      2) What is an IP address?
      3) What is webrick/handle requests?
      4) Scaling for high traffic websites
      5) What are load balancers?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I replied to the LinkedIn Pulse job post for CNE a division of CN with letter & portfolio. The lead engineer's assistant replied a few days later to schedule a phone interview with him, the lead engineer & the director of engineering.

Round 1: Phone Screen
    I received the call & answered their usual questions. They were keen to emphasize they want full stack because the team operates that way, preferring "open collaboration" where anyone does as much as possible.

Round 2: tech test
    I used the recommended 4.5-6hrs to complete the tech test which was to code thescene.com with the swiftype API & pushing to their private Git repo. It was really long & dissuading. I should've charged a fee.

Round 3: edits
    Git commit messages & times were closely examined. They asked why I coded it the way I did, what I'd done differently, then asked if I could do those particular recommendations. I estimated it'd been another 2-3hrs.

I got a job elsewhere so I stopped spending time coding here.

Interview Questions

• Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar.   1 Answer
    • What is Git, assume someone who knows nothing about code?   1 Answer
    • What is your career goal?   1 Answer
    • What is a load balancer? Describe in detail. How would you code 1?   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

A brief over the phone interview with a designer. This was followed by a portfolio review/ interview on site with multiple designers. Was asked to submit a redesign of a webpage from a publication site.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and got an email from HR about a week or two later asking to set up an interview. I went in for an interview with HR and the hiring manager two days later and was given an edit test. Emailed HR about a month later to check on status of the position.

Senior Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

I was contacted to come in for an interview for a job that sounded like a bit of a reach in terms of my years of experience, but pursued the opportunity to interview and learn more about the role. As I suspected, it was completely out of the scope of what I was qualified to do. It was strange that Conde Nast contacted me - recruiting needs to have a better understanding of the industry and how to find candidates. It was a waste of my time, and theirs.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Fashion Assistant emailed and asked me to come in for an interview after seeing her post online. I interviewed with her for maybe about 10 minutes before she called her manager in. Manager/editor was nice but Fashion Assistant was rude and clearly not well-versed with HR protocol. She asked standard, sometimes irrelevant, interview questions. Got a very subliminal, snooty, holier-than-thou vibe from her. (Which, I don't know why, because we all know how much you're making!)

She kept reiterating that the pay was $10/hour and that the experience was a great way to get your foot in the fashion industry. While it would have been nice to see what Details was like, it's definitely not worth $10/hour LOL. At the end, it was more of trying to find out who'd be the best "go-pher" for her and her team.

Digital Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview

Applied online, a week later had a Phone Interview with HR, interviewed on-site with two heads of the department, received an offer about a week later. The whole process took 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just practical examples of impact to the brand   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Very formal, everything went through HR. Multiple forms to fill out, writing samples required. 4 separate rounds of interviews with different officers. Scheduling was a bit of a problem as they would often ask if I could meet during times I had already listed as unavailable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. Tried for a higher salary and was told the base pay was company policy across the board. Assistants do more work than many editors in a work day and work many more hours.

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

Interview

First off, let's be clear about what Conde Nast means by "freelance":

For an "indefinite" period (could be anywhere from 1-2 years):

-You earn $10/hr ("but it's ok because you can earn overtime" and it's understood you will work lots overtime...hello weekends

-You do not receive health insurance or other benefits that staff employees typically receive

-Your name is not printed on the monthly masthead as a member of the mag's "staff"

That said, it was the worst interview processes I've ever undergone. I waited over an hour to be interviewed by the current fashion assistant who was nice but really gave no apology at all and simply assumed that I should understand because, well, it's GQ.

The interview questions were typical...I explained my background and what led me to GQ and the current fashion assistant explained the role and expectations.

I get it, Conde Nast is cutting costs left and right (just Google "Conde Nast layoffs"). In the end, I don't feel like I should be begging on all fours for a $10/hr job with no benefits or real recognition just because it's GQ.

I couldn't survive on $10/hr in the city unless I had my parents to support me. So, the cycle of the privileged few getting their feet in the door continues.

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Several meetings and conversations during the interview process for an entry level position - staff was really friendly and answered questions / seemed like a great working environment for an entry level position / office was beautiful and seemed like a positive team / lots of people my age on the team

Interview Questions

• How would I feel working for a job share?   1 Answer

It was freelance so no benefits, which is not what was originally presented