Condé Nast

Very Difficult Interview

Copy Editor Interview

Copy Editor
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Condé Nast in October 2010.

Interview Details – Saw ad on craigslist and sent a resume and cover letter to the hiring manager via e-mail in mid-October. I was selected as a short-list candidate a few days after sending the resume and asked to complete an editing test within a few days, turning a poorly written passage into a finished piece suitable for publication. I sent the edited submission by the deadline. The process was delayed several times until I finally learned that I didn't get the job about 3 1/2 weeks later. The delays were frustrating.

Interview Question – The editing test was a challenge because I was required to edit for syntax and style without losing the writer's personality. It's tricky making a judgement call about how much editing is too much or not enough. It would have been helpful to be more familiar with the publication. Although I had read articles from Ars Technica from time to time, it was't something I read regularly. The timing of the test was also tricky because it had to be completed during the week and I had a full-time job.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Condé Nast in April 2008.

Interview Details – I was really nervous because I wanted an interview here (it was with one of the men's magazines) for so long. The assistant who coordinated the interviews was very professional and quick to respond to my resume and when we were trying to schedule a good interview time. This was positive considering my experience with some other publications.

The first person I interviewed with was an editorial assistant who made me feel very comfortable despite very specific questions on the magazine that made me sweat. Our interview lasted about 30 minutes and then I met with another editorial assistant. He was not as concerned with making me feel comfortable. It was intimidating actually. BUT, he was also very professional and thorough. After those first two interviews I was up in the air about how they went.

The third interview was two weeks later with the Managing Editor. He was pretty awesome - laid back, standard interview questions. I was a little put off by the fact that he kept reading his blackberry during the interview. He apologized but it was constant and distracting.

A month after the third interview, I was offered an internship. I was surprised because I thought they weren't interested in me. I hadn't heard anything from them since the third interview and was sad about that BUT I had really liked the people I had met and the vibe of the office (everyone works hard but is also very laid back and SMART. They have a great team in place) when I visited so I was open to accepting the position with them. If I didn't like them or the other people in the office, I wouldn't have been open to accepting a position with them.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast in August 2009.

Interview Details – This interview was a few years ago. I interviewed with two girls in the lobby of one of the magazines offices. I was asked pretty basic questions: why are you interested in publishing, why do you want to intern at Conde Nast, etc. It was horrible though, because this was one of my first professional interviews and the interviewers made me so uncomfortable. They were playing a good cop/bad cop sort of thing. One of the girls was nice enough, asking me most of the questions and the other girl just sat there and stared me down. She was dressed like an Abercrombie kids model circa 2004 and wearing aviators the whole time. INDOORS. Very intimidating and unprofessional.

Interview Question – Why Conde Nast?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Condé Nast in April 2012.

Interview Details – Short phone screening followed by an in depth hour and a half long in-person interview. Interviewer asked pre-written questions printed out on 3-4 pieces of paper, many of them repetitive. Very "old school" method of interviewing, closing with a request for references (none of whom were called).

Interview Question – Who is your business role model?   Answer Question

Media Sales Executive Interview

Media Sales Executive
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Condé Nast in May 2010.

Interview Details – Presentation by Head of Media Sales, then a psychometric test with 20 other applicants followed by an interview. Test was timed (can’t remember exactly how long but I think about half an hour) and the interview lasted only 5 mins! Called back for a second interview which lasted 45 mins - hour. The second interview as a week after the first and was held at the same location.

Interview Question – Asked what I did at primary school! Very odd question and was not expecting that!   View Answers (2)

Public Relations Intern Interview

Public Relations Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Condé Nast in June 2011.

Interview Details – I got the interview through our university career services office, who put me in touch with a director of communications. I then had a sit-down interview with the director and publicist of two titles.

Interview Question – What would you do to improve our communications strategy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have a standing amount that they pay interns.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to a general recruiting session for post-graduates. Many other job-seekers were former interns like myself, though a few had been invited because of resume submissions. It was essentially a cattle-call and the interviewer I had treated me like I wasn't worth his time. He asked if I still spoke with my former employers (of course, I had) and why I hadn't reached out to them for job recs (again, I had). None of my answers were impressive to him and he rarely even looked me in the eye. He was rude and honestly makes me want to turn my back on the company every time I consider applying for a position.

Interview Question – Why don't you just freelance?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Condé Nast in January 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online in December, was interviewed in New York in January, followed up in March and received offer beginning of April.

Interview Question – Where do you see the magazine publishing industry going in the next few years? What are the distinguishing features of your favorite Conde Nast magazines?   Answer Question

Fashion Intern Interview

Fashion Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Condé Nast in May 2009.

Interview Details – Standard. Emailed my resume, began dialogue, set up in-person interview (with two editors), follow up email, offered position

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Senior Editor Interview

Senior Editor
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Condé Nast in November 2011.

Interview Details – The editor in chief of the magazine where I work reached out directly, and then involved top level editors in the organization. The most sensitive spot came in negotiating salaries and expected staff I would bring on with me. The salary negotiations were quite easy, but the overall process took a lot longer than expected, as my hiring required various positions to be moved around. Thus, while there were really only three interviews conducted in about 2 weeks, there was 2 full months before the offer came

Interview Question – Critique the current front of the book. What works and what doesn't?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A 5% increase over the initial salary offer. Their offer came in below what I gave for salary expectations

Interviews for Top Jobs at Condé Nast

Worked for Condé Nast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Condé Nast interview questions and advice. All 90 interview reviews posted anonymously by Condé Nast employees and interview candidates.