Condé Nast

2.6

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in October 2010.

Saw ad on craigslist and sent a resume and cover letter to the hiring manager via e-mail in mid-October. I was selected as a short-list candidate a few days after sending the resume and asked to complete an editing test within a few days, turning a poorly written passage into a finished piece suitable for publication. I sent the edited submission by the deadline. The process was delayed several times until I finally learned that I didn't get the job about 3 1/2 weeks later. The delays were frustrating.

Interview Questions
    • The editing test was a challenge because I was required to edit for syntax and style without losing the writer's personality. It's tricky making a judgement call about how much editing is too much or not enough. It would have been helpful to be more familiar with the publication. Although I had read articles from Ars Technica from time to time, it was't something I read regularly. The timing of the test was also tricky because it had to be completed during the week and I had a full-time job.   Answer Question

Product Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Went in for referral. First interview was over the phone, very friendly, to get background. One week later went in for 2 in-person interviews. The 2nd one was rushed in the end. I was followed up with two HR phone calls, which were positive and seemed ready to move quickly. One week later I got a homework assignment which I completed. Then one week later I went back in for 3 more in-person interviews - 2 of which got moved to a phone interview instead. Mostly behavioral / background questions, with one strategic question which I didn't answer too well. HR followed up again after a couple of days saying they'd get back to me. They never did

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2008.

I was really nervous because I wanted an interview here (it was with one of the men's magazines) for so long. The assistant who coordinated the interviews was very professional and quick to respond to my resume and when we were trying to schedule a good interview time. This was positive considering my experience with some other publications.

The first person I interviewed with was an editorial assistant who made me feel very comfortable despite very specific questions on the magazine that made me sweat. Our interview lasted about 30 minutes and then I met with another editorial assistant. He was not as concerned with making me feel comfortable. It was intimidating actually. BUT, he was also very professional and thorough. After those first two interviews I was up in the air about how they went.

The third interview was two weeks later with the Managing Editor. He was pretty awesome - laid back, standard interview questions. I was a little put off by the fact that he kept reading his blackberry during the interview. He apologized but it was constant and distracting.

A month after the third interview, I was offered an internship. I was surprised because I thought they weren't interested in me. I hadn't heard anything from them since the third interview and was sad about that BUT I had really liked the people I had met and the vibe of the office (everyone works hard but is also very laid back and SMART. They have a great team in place) when I visited so I was open to accepting the position with them. If I didn't like them or the other people in the office, I wouldn't have been open to accepting a position with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in August 2009.

This interview was a few years ago. I interviewed with two girls in the lobby of one of the magazines offices. I was asked pretty basic questions: why are you interested in publishing, why do you want to intern at Conde Nast, etc. It was horrible though, because this was one of my first professional interviews and the interviewers made me so uncomfortable. They were playing a good cop/bad cop sort of thing. One of the girls was nice enough, asking me most of the questions and the other girl just sat there and stared me down. She was dressed like an Abercrombie kids model circa 2004 and wearing aviators the whole time. INDOORS. Very intimidating and unprofessional.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2012.

Short phone screening followed by an in depth hour and a half long in-person interview. Interviewer asked pre-written questions printed out on 3-4 pieces of paper, many of them repetitive. Very "old school" method of interviewing, closing with a request for references (none of whom were called).

Media Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in May 2010.

Presentation by Head of Media Sales, then a psychometric test with 20 other applicants followed by an interview. Test was timed (can’t remember exactly how long but I think about half an hour) and the interview lasted only 5 mins! Called back for a second interview which lasted 45 mins - hour. The second interview as a week after the first and was held at the same location.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what I did at primary school! Very odd question and was not expecting that!   View Answers (2)

Public Relations Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2011.

I got the interview through our university career services office, who put me in touch with a director of communications. I then had a sit-down interview with the director and publicist of two titles.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to improve our communications strategy?   Answer Question
    They have a standing amount that they pay interns.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in May 2013.

I was invited to a general recruiting session for post-graduates. Many other job-seekers were former interns like myself, though a few had been invited because of resume submissions. It was essentially a cattle-call and the interviewer I had treated me like I wasn't worth his time. He asked if I still spoke with my former employers (of course, I had) and why I hadn't reached out to them for job recs (again, I had). None of my answers were impressive to him and he rarely even looked me in the eye. He was rude and honestly makes me want to turn my back on the company every time I consider applying for a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2013.

Submitted application online in December, was interviewed in New York in January, followed up in March and received offer beginning of April.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the magazine publishing industry going in the next few years? What are the distinguishing features of your favorite Conde Nast magazines?   Answer Question

Fashion Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Condé Nast in May 2009.

Standard. Emailed my resume, began dialogue, set up in-person interview (with two editors), follow up email, offered position