Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.7

Photo/Art Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

Emailed from a job posting and heard back within a week. Came in for an interview the day after receiving the email of interest. Everything happened very fast. The interview itself lasted for only about 10 minutes. Another candidate arrived during my interview. After the first initial interview, I came in a different day to meet with the photo director.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough. I met with four separate people and was offered a position within a few hours. The hiring process was quick and painless. They asked me when I would like to start and my offer letter was drawn up and sent to me within 12 hours.

Interview Questions

• About my volunteer experience   1 Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

There was a quick phone interview with the HR people, followed by a face-to-face interview with the Technical Lead and the Manager. This interview wasn't too technical. The last interview was another face-to-face interview with the Technical Architect and the HR girl again.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I replied to the LinkedIn Pulse job post for CNE a division of CN with letter & portfolio. The lead engineer's assistant replied a few days later to schedule a phone interview with him, the lead engineer & the director of engineering. Round 1: Phone Screen I received the call & answered their usual questions. They were keen to emphasize they want full stack because the team operates that way, preferring "open collaboration" where anyone does as much as possible. Round 2: tech test I used the recommended 4.5-6hrs to complete the tech test which was to code thescene.com with the swiftype API & pushing to their private Git repo. It was really long & dissuading. I should've charged a fee. Round 3: edits Git commit messages & times were closely examined. They asked why I coded it the way I did, what I'd done differently, then asked if I could do those particular recommendations. I estimated it'd been another 2-3hrs. I got a job elsewhere so I stopped spending time coding here.

Interview Questions

• Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar.   1 Answer
    • What is Git, assume someone who knows nothing about code?   1 Answer
    • What is your career goal?   1 Answer
    • What is a load balancer? Describe in detail. How would you code 1?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent the director of engineering an e-mail along with my linkedin and links to side projects. He sent me an e-mail shortly after to schedule a phone interview with his assistant. I received a call from him with another person on the line, I'm assuming the person was a software engineer on the team. First they ask if I have any questions for them. Then phone call went straight to technical questions, no behavioral questions. The technical questions did not compose of any algorithm or coding questions... it was more networks and how to set up the environment.

Interview Questions

• 1) Go through the process of what happens after you type a website in the URL bar. 2) What is an IP address? 3) What is webrick/handle requests? 4) Scaling for high traffic websites 5) What are load balancers?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

A brief over the phone interview with a designer. This was followed by a portfolio review/ interview on site with multiple designers. Was asked to submit a redesign of a webpage from a publication site.

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Was asked a bunch of questions about my background, he was very friendly and loved my work so it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. Don't get caught up in how cool the people or office looks, you won't win them over by being nervous because of that. Definitely dress your best and own it, but don't be cocky. I had to explain my work so be prepared for that. Be sure to know about fashion and the industry you are reviewing for b/c you won't be happy there unless you have an inherent interest, some people really live and breath this stuff.

Interview Questions

• Who is an artist that influences you now?   1 Answer

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Straight forward. Contacts. Past wins. The final interview was tough. The hiring manager went line for line through my resume and asked detailed questions for each of my past jobs.

Interview Questions

• They asked for a 90 day plan.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Met with a few people. Asked good questions. Met with Chief Dig Officer. A few people at the brands. Was in World Trade Center. They asked good questions. Really good questions. Actually, really great questions. Interview went well.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and got an email from HR about a week or two later asking to set up an interview. I went in for an interview with HR and the hiring manager two days later and was given an edit test. Emailed HR about a month later to check on status of the position.