Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.6

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in May 2013.

I was invited to a general recruiting session for post-graduates. Many other job-seekers were former interns like myself, though a few had been invited because of resume submissions. It was essentially a cattle-call and the interviewer I had treated me like I wasn't worth his time. He asked if I still spoke with my former employers (of course, I had) and why I hadn't reached out to them for job recs (again, I had). None of my answers were impressive to him and he rarely even looked me in the eye. He was rude and honestly makes me want to turn my back on the company every time I consider applying for a position.

Fashion Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

I arrived at the interview meeting and my supervisor-to-be and I sat at an open lounge area where other people were passing by. I started explaining my CV and giving details about what I do as well as asked her whether she wanted to see my portfolio to which she never responded (and never got to see). I have to add that when I contacted through email I had sent her a link to my work but it never got discussed. I then answered all her question, made some of my own and then she told me that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • probably when she asked me what I disliked about the company cos i felt weird answering it. not really unexpected though   View Answer
    It happened instantly

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2013.

Applied via a job site, was contacted by email, and set up an interview with the person who would be my supervisor. Never met with anyone senior at the time. People were friendly, even though I don't think it's the sort of place that makes everyone feel comfortable. They mostly asked questions related to the job.

Interview Questions
    • They were pretty straightforward, no curve balls. Going in honest was the best choice.   Answer Question
    Should have tried.

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2013.

Applied on my school career website. Interview was very straight forward - one round with HR, one round with direct supervisor, one round with AP. Questions were very typical - what I did in the past, what I want to do in the future... made sure that I knew what I am getting myself into, and also made sure that I had the necessary skills to survive this role (in my case, advanced excel).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. It's all about whether they like you and if they think you can / willing to do the job.   Answer Question
    ALWAYS negotiate. I made the mistake of not negotiating but I was able to negotiate later on after a couple months in.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2013.

I received this interview through mutual connections. It was a pretty straightforward interview, although I was surprised to meet two more team members in addition to the one I was in communication with. I was asked general questions regarding my education and experience, nothing new. Obviously, I was asked about my knowledge about the publication as well-- so do your research!

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about if I could name an editor who could best fit the aesthetic of the magazine.   Answer Question

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2013.

The interview was quick and no hard questions. Just went over my resume and said they would be in contact within the next few days, once their decision was made. I emailed the interviewer, thanked him, but never received any message back. I emailed the Talent Manager and she responded that they were still in the interviewing process. After a month and 2 more emails to her, she finally replied that they went with someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really ask any difficult questions. They were impressed with my resume, handed it around to different people in the office who I would be working with. They just wanted to hear about my past experience.   Answer Question

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Condé Nast in February 2013.

There were two one-on-one interviews scheduled for two separate days; they were preceded by a quick phone interview. I very much enjoyed speaking with both interviewers--the key, I think, is to initially ask open-ended questions and try to find things in common with the interviewer. Once you find things in common, explore those things while trying not to stray off the reason why you are there--the company. This shows interest in both the interviewer and the company. This, however, can not be faked; you have to really find the stuff you are talking about with the interviewer interesting.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for this company? This has to be one of the hardest questions to answer! Good luck if you get asked this question! Be honest with your answer, but remember don't ever mention money as being one of your reasons...   Answer Question
    Very easy! They did not try to low-ball me.

Digital Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in February 2013.

Always good to have an inside contact at the company. Submitting through HR can work but usually takes a much longer time. The interview did not last for more than 30 minutes and 3 people interviewed me.
    They started out with taking them through my resume and then asked pretty typical questions like, Why Conde? Why Digital Ad Sales?
    Coming from basically no advertising experience they were more interested in my analytical skills.
    I heard nothing for over a month after my initial follow up and decided to reach out again and see if they had filled the position and/ or get feedback on my interview. They responded and let me know that they were still interested in me and I got the call from HR about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what in my background would make me good at digital sales?   View Answer
    No, this is an entry level position so there is only a base salary but you are eligible for overtime.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Did 1:1 interview with HR manager, and told me a colleague of his would be contacting me to schedule another interview. I reached out a couple of times, but received no response.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked very basic questions, why does marketing interest you? what magazines do you read?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2013.

Submitted application online in December, was interviewed in New York in January, followed up in March and received offer beginning of April.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the magazine publishing industry going in the next few years? What are the distinguishing features of your favorite Conde Nast magazines?   Answer Question