Condé Nast

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.6

General/Editorial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in February 2013.

I had arranged applied for a specific photo editor job, but also expressed my interest in other positions that could utilize my qualifications. I am a senior level creative with 15 years experience in the business. I rarely do interviewed with HR, usually the staff that are actually hiring. The woman I met at Conde was the cliche "Conde" girl. She had a horrible attitude of superiority. She ended up asking me superfluous questions that were insulting. Trick questions really. One of the worst interview experiences in my life. This is a horrible HR dept, just to warn you.

Interview Questions
    • Which other publications would you like to work for and why?   View Answer
    • Do you think the HR dept. has attitude   View Answer

Digital Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in February 2013.

Always good to have an inside contact at the company. Submitting through HR can work but usually takes a much longer time. The interview did not last for more than 30 minutes and 3 people interviewed me.
    They started out with taking them through my resume and then asked pretty typical questions like, Why Conde? Why Digital Ad Sales?
    Coming from basically no advertising experience they were more interested in my analytical skills.
    I heard nothing for over a month after my initial follow up and decided to reach out again and see if they had filled the position and/ or get feedback on my interview. They responded and let me know that they were still interested in me and I got the call from HR about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what in my background would make me good at digital sales?   View Answer
    No, this is an entry level position so there is only a base salary but you are eligible for overtime.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Did 1:1 interview with HR manager, and told me a colleague of his would be contacting me to schedule another interview. I reached out a couple of times, but received no response.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked very basic questions, why does marketing interest you? what magazines do you read?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2013.

Submitted application online in December, was interviewed in New York in January, followed up in March and received offer beginning of April.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the magazine publishing industry going in the next few years? What are the distinguishing features of your favorite Conde Nast magazines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in December 2012.

You definitely need to dress fashionably, but professionally. They make snap judgments on you based on what you're wearing, so come prepared.
    They ask you about your work ethic and what your past experience looks like. They interview a lot of people, so it's important to impress them with your eloquence and kind but firm manner. Mainly, they ask you to sell yourself. Make sure to send a card-- not a hallmark card, but a nice, unique boutique-style card (because they do receive a lot of products with cards in beautiful packaging, so in order to stand out you should get pretty stationary. Keep it brief, but enchanting.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite magazine and fashion designers (not brands- designers). This can be tricky, because most people only know the name of the brand, not the designer.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Freelance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in July 2012.

was really short, didn't really seem interested in hearing any of my answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2012.

I was contacted via e-mail to come in for an interview. She asked me different questions and we just talked. She then told me she would let me know after a week. I received an e-mail a week later saying they wanted to have me intern with them. Be prepared for long days but overall was educational if you want to intern for a fashion magazine.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Condé Nast in June 2012.

The process began with a brief phone screening conducted by someone in HR. I was then invited to come in for an in-person interview which took place about two weeks later. That went well and I was invited back in the following day for a final round, which seemed to go very well too. I was told I'd be contacted either way, but even after thank you's and several attempts at following up, I never heard a word.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very generic, nothing too difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2012.

Short phone screening followed by an in depth hour and a half long in-person interview. Interviewer asked pre-written questions printed out on 3-4 pieces of paper, many of them repetitive. Very "old school" method of interviewing, closing with a request for references (none of whom were called).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2012.

I applied online over winter break (by the January deadline), and got an email back about scheduling an interview mid-March. You could either go to NY to interview in person or interview via Skype. By the first week in April we were notified via email we were accepted and had a week to formally accept or decline the internship.

The interview lasted 15-20 minutes and my interviewer was super nice and made it relaxing over Skype, which is inherently awkward. Definitely know the company and throw in some facts when you're talking about it (i.e. I know you have X number of magazines and the first one went to tablet in 2010). Also, study the brands you are interested in and know them really well - maybe throw in your favorite article from the most recent issue in conversation.

Since it was an intern interview, questions were pretty basic, but they definitely ask follow up questions to things you say, so when I talked about being a leader, my interviewer asked what I thought made an effective leader and what my leadership style was like. I answered using examples from my time on the student paper. Also, make sure you know sort of what you want to do- it doesn't have to be clearly defined, they know you are an intern, but know whether you want to be on editorial or advertising.

Interview Questions
    • Questions:
      - Why do you want to work for CN?
      - What skills do you have that make you a good fit for this job?
      - Tell me about your roles at X internship?
      - Why are you interested in social media?
      - What do you think makes an effective leader?
      - What brands are you interested in working for? Why?
      - Where do you see yourself in five years?
      - What are your greatest assets you can bring to CN?

Answer Question