Condé Nast

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Editor Interview

Senior Editor
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Condé Nast in November 2011.

Interview Details – The editor in chief of the magazine where I work reached out directly, and then involved top level editors in the organization. The most sensitive spot came in negotiating salaries and expected staff I would bring on with me. The salary negotiations were quite easy, but the overall process took a lot longer than expected, as my hiring required various positions to be moved around. Thus, while there were really only three interviews conducted in about 2 weeks, there was 2 full months before the offer came

Interview Question – Critique the current front of the book. What works and what doesn't?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A 5% increase over the initial salary offer. Their offer came in below what I gave for salary expectations

Fashion Intern Interview

Fashion Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Condé Nast in May 2009.

Interview Details – Standard. Emailed my resume, began dialogue, set up in-person interview (with two editors), follow up email, offered position

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Condé Nast in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very short interview (it was about 20 min) so there are a lot of snap judgement. They care a lot about the way you dress. I mean let's be honest, it is conde nast. Unless you are applying to Wired, you need to be a fashionable person.
Interview questions were very standard. Nothing too hard. I already had a paying offer at the time so i didn't prepare as well as I wanted for the interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in media/publishing industry? Why Conde Nast?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Condé Nast in December 2012.

Interview Details – You definitely need to dress fashionably, but professionally. They make snap judgments on you based on what you're wearing, so come prepared.
They ask you about your work ethic and what your past experience looks like. They interview a lot of people, so it's important to impress them with your eloquence and kind but firm manner. Mainly, they ask you to sell yourself. Make sure to send a card-- not a hallmark card, but a nice, unique boutique-style card (because they do receive a lot of products with cards in beautiful packaging, so in order to stand out you should get pretty stationary. Keep it brief, but enchanting.

Interview Question – What's your favorite magazine and fashion designers (not brands- designers). This can be tricky, because most people only know the name of the brand, not the designer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

IOS Developer Interview

IOS Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Condé Nast in February 2013.

Interview Details – There were two one-on-one interviews scheduled for two separate days; they were preceded by a quick phone interview. I very much enjoyed speaking with both interviewers--the key, I think, is to initially ask open-ended questions and try to find things in common with the interviewer. Once you find things in common, explore those things while trying not to stray off the reason why you are there--the company. This shows interest in both the interviewer and the company. This, however, can not be faked; you have to really find the stuff you are talking about with the interviewer interesting.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for this company? This has to be one of the hardest questions to answer! Good luck if you get asked this question! Be honest with your answer, but remember don't ever mention money as being one of your reasons...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy! They did not try to low-ball me.

Marketing Intern At WIRED Interview

Marketing Intern At WIRED
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Condé Nast in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was intense because the entire events team interviewed me together. They were very nice but they were all asking questions. It was nerve racking to face three people at once. The interview was certainly a dialogue and they described the work culture and brand missions even as they asked questions.

Interview Question – What are you expecting to learn?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was looking for a paid internship and Condé Nast pays only a stipend of 12 dollars per day.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Marketing Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Condé Nast.

Interview Details – Did 1:1 interview with HR manager, and told me a colleague of his would be contacting me to schedule another interview. I reached out a couple of times, but received no response.

Interview Question – Was asked very basic questions, why does marketing interest you? what magazines do you read?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Condé Nast in February 2012.

Interview Details – applied online through condenastcareers.com in december/january of 2011/12
was notified that i received an interview in mid-late january, scheduled it easily for mid feb
met with one of the hr managers, she was very, very nice and easygoing
we had more of a conversation than anything else, she asked about school and extracurriculars, asked me to expand upon my resume and explain items listed

Interview Question – questions were all very straightforward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i did not negotiate- internship was exactly what i wanted. the toughest part was figuring out how and when to follow up - they are very picky about it, and I had to wait until May to receive any news. My HR rep did respond to my emails, though!

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
New York, NY

I interviewed at Condé Nast in June 2012.

Interview Details – The process began with a brief phone screening conducted by someone in HR. I was then invited to come in for an in-person interview which took place about two weeks later. That went well and I was invited back in the following day for a final round, which seemed to go very well too. I was told I'd be contacted either way, but even after thank you's and several attempts at following up, I never heard a word.

Interview Question – The questions were very generic, nothing too difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Freelance Photo Retoucher Interview

Freelance Photo Retoucher
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Condé Nast in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview Process for this was very easy, but it was very much about my having known someone already there. They very much like to hire a know variable and as such, you should have either a connection or a solid reputation. It was quick informal and painless. Make sure you know your Adobe, Mac, Scanning and retouching confidently enough to discuss it.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly difficult, just the usual self evaluative questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This particular position was really driven by a budget limitation so there wasn't much negotiation. I was asked what I hoped for, but only as a formality.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Condé Nast