Condé Nast Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail to come in for an interview. She asked me different questions and we just talked. She then told me she would let me know after a week. I received an e-mail a week later saying they wanted to have me intern with them. Be prepared for long days but overall was educational if you want to intern for a fashion magazine.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

The process began with a brief phone screening conducted by someone in HR. I was then invited to come in for an in-person interview which took place about two weeks later. That went well and I was invited back in the following day for a final round, which seemed to go very well too. I was told I'd be contacted either way, but even after thank you's and several attempts at following up, I never heard a word.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very generic, nothing too difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Short phone screening followed by an in depth hour and a half long in-person interview. Interviewer asked pre-written questions printed out on 3-4 pieces of paper, many of them repetitive. Very "old school" method of interviewing, closing with a request for references (none of whom were called).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online over winter break (by the January deadline), and got an email back about scheduling an interview mid-March. You could either go to NY to interview in person or interview via Skype. By the first week in April we were notified via email we were accepted and had a week to formally accept or decline the internship.

The interview lasted 15-20 minutes and my interviewer was super nice and made it relaxing over Skype, which is inherently awkward. Definitely know the company and throw in some facts when you're talking about it (i.e. I know you have X number of magazines and the first one went to tablet in 2010). Also, study the brands you are interested in and know them really well - maybe throw in your favorite article from the most recent issue in conversation.

Since it was an intern interview, questions were pretty basic, but they definitely ask follow up questions to things you say, so when I talked about being a leader, my interviewer asked what I thought made an effective leader and what my leadership style was like. I answered using examples from my time on the student paper. Also, make sure you know sort of what you want to do- it doesn't have to be clearly defined, they know you are an intern, but know whether you want to be on editorial or advertising.

Interview Questions

• Questions:
      - Why do you want to work for CN?
      - What skills do you have that make you a good fit for this job?
      - Tell me about your roles at X internship?
      - Why are you interested in social media?
      - What do you think makes an effective leader?
      - What brands are you interested in working for? Why?
      - Where do you see yourself in five years?
      - What are your greatest assets you can bring to CN?

Answer Question

Junior Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

It was short, they didn't ask so many questions, basically what was my previous work experience, my education, they also asked if I had experience just in Digital format, and how much money I wanted. It took around 15 minutes. The person who interviewed me was very friendly and nice. I felt very comfortable speaking with him. At the end of the conversation he told me to expect a call in the next couple of days to continue the process, but I never received that call.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

interviewed at Condé Nast (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

Very short interview (it was about 20 min) so there are a lot of snap judgement. They care a lot about the way you dress. I mean let's be honest, it is conde nast. Unless you are applying to Wired, you need to be a fashionable person.
    Interview questions were very standard. Nothing too hard. I already had a paying offer at the time so i didn't prepare as well as I wanted for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in media/publishing industry? Why Conde Nast?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

applied online through condenastcareers.com in december/january of 2011/12
    was notified that i received an interview in mid-late january, scheduled it easily for mid feb
    met with one of the hr managers, she was very, very nice and easygoing
    we had more of a conversation than anything else, she asked about school and extracurriculars, asked me to expand upon my resume and explain items listed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i did not negotiate- internship was exactly what i wanted. the toughest part was figuring out how and when to follow up - they are very picky about it, and I had to wait until May to receive any news. My HR rep did respond to my emails, though!

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Condé Nast (Wilmington, DE) in January 2012.

Interview

Initially a phone interview with the staffing agency to confirm compatibility with the position, and then about a week later, a face-to-face interview was scheduled with the team supervisor and director.
    I'm told that other candidates were only interviewed by the team supervisor and were not even introduced to the director so I felt positive that my application was up for serious consideration after meeting with both. I was offered the position the next day.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge that you had to overcome and how you did so.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation. The position was offered as a "full-time temporary consultant" type role. The time span is open ended (I've met consultants that have been with the company for 3 years) and the wage set at an hourly rate that would go up if I was to be made permanent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Very relaxed and casual interview that discussed interests in the magazine.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Condé Nast (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Before I met with the Director I as asked to put together a project biased on a few guidelines of the job.
    I met with the Director outside of the company. I think was asked by HR to come in to meet with the rest of the team.

Interview Questions

• How do you see this magazine changing? In what director would you like to see it evolve?   Answer Question