Condé Nast

Updated Jan 18, 2015

2.6

Junior Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2012.

It was short, they didn't ask so many questions, basically what was my previous work experience, my education, they also asked if I had experience just in Digital format, and how much money I wanted. It took around 15 minutes. The person who interviewed me was very friendly and nice. I felt very comfortable speaking with him. At the end of the conversation he told me to expect a call in the next couple of days to continue the process, but I never received that call.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Condé Nast in February 2012.

Very short interview (it was about 20 min) so there are a lot of snap judgement. They care a lot about the way you dress. I mean let's be honest, it is conde nast. Unless you are applying to Wired, you need to be a fashionable person.
    Interview questions were very standard. Nothing too hard. I already had a paying offer at the time so i didn't prepare as well as I wanted for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in media/publishing industry? Why Conde Nast?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in February 2012.

applied online through condenastcareers.com in december/january of 2011/12
    was notified that i received an interview in mid-late january, scheduled it easily for mid feb
    met with one of the hr managers, she was very, very nice and easygoing
    we had more of a conversation than anything else, she asked about school and extracurriculars, asked me to expand upon my resume and explain items listed

Interview Questions
    i did not negotiate- internship was exactly what i wanted. the toughest part was figuring out how and when to follow up - they are very picky about it, and I had to wait until May to receive any news. My HR rep did respond to my emails, though!

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2012.

Initially a phone interview with the staffing agency to confirm compatibility with the position, and then about a week later, a face-to-face interview was scheduled with the team supervisor and director.
    I'm told that other candidates were only interviewed by the team supervisor and were not even introduced to the director so I felt positive that my application was up for serious consideration after meeting with both. I was offered the position the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a challenge that you had to overcome and how you did so.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much of a negotiation. The position was offered as a "full-time temporary consultant" type role. The time span is open ended (I've met consultants that have been with the company for 3 years) and the wage set at an hourly rate that would go up if I was to be made permanent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2012.

Very relaxed and casual interview that discussed interests in the magazine.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Condé Nast in January 2012.

Before I met with the Director I as asked to put together a project biased on a few guidelines of the job.
    I met with the Director outside of the company. I think was asked by HR to come in to meet with the rest of the team.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see this magazine changing? In what director would you like to see it evolve?   Answer Question

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Condé Nast in November 2011.

The editor in chief of the magazine where I work reached out directly, and then involved top level editors in the organization. The most sensitive spot came in negotiating salaries and expected staff I would bring on with me. The salary negotiations were quite easy, but the overall process took a lot longer than expected, as my hiring required various positions to be moved around. Thus, while there were really only three interviews conducted in about 2 weeks, there was 2 full months before the offer came

Interview Questions
    • Critique the current front of the book. What works and what doesn't?   Answer Question
    A 5% increase over the initial salary offer. Their offer came in below what I gave for salary expectations

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in August 2011.

Found the job via my university's job board and applied directly to the alum who had posted the posting. The next day, HR reached out to me to set up a meeting with the alum (who was high up in the department). When I came in for the interview, I met with the HR director, then the alum, then the person who would be my direct supervisor. I followed up that night with an email and heard back the next day. I submitted Excel spreadsheets and my transcripts to them.

I was brought in at the end of the week to meet with the Executive Director, which went very well. At this point all the interviews went well and they had told me specifically that even though I did not have strong experience as an analyst.

The next week, I met with the VP of the department. Speaking with the VP on the phone, I realized that he seemed to be tough. The alum called me the day before the interview to prep me and warned that he would be "thourough" and I should be confident. It was the final interview and I was warned it would take an hour at most.

The interview with the VP took 2 hours and included a long skills test. He was condescending and just as scary as the alum warned me about. He seemed to have various personalities during the interview, going from nice to scary to condescending to etc. It was pretty rough. At the end of the interview he told me that I was not a good fit with the department and told me that I would be fine. Offered to recommend me to positions in the company in which I would have a better fit.

Media Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Condé Nast in August 2011.

I went in for a 1:1 interview with one of the Managers. She was very friendly and we had a good discussion. She told me I would meet with some senior people the following week. When I did this and our schedules didn't match, she said she would contact me with availability for the following week. This did not happen. I contacted her twice to find out when we were to reschedule and there was no reply. It was a wholly unprofessional experience.

Public Relations Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2011.

I got the interview through our university career services office, who put me in touch with a director of communications. I then had a sit-down interview with the director and publicist of two titles.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to improve our communications strategy?   Answer Question
    They have a standing amount that they pay interns.