ConnectEDU

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Interview

Sales

Interviewed at ConnectEDU

Interview Details – Round of interviews of 20-30 mins with mid-and senior people in sales, support, mktg, and product. All knew I was coming and had seen resume. WHile busy, most seemed engaged in the process and seemed interested in hiring the right person.

Interview Question – Interested in my connections in the business areas, my experience, actual history of closing deals of various sizes. No esp wierd or out of left field questions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at ConnectEDU.

Interview Details – The entire interview process took 5 months! First was a phone interview with the former COO. A month later I met with the COO in person, a product manager, and a business associate (really, a business associate??). The three hour interview went well and I asked for a tour of the company which is all of one floor in the Federal Reserve Building. The layout is similar to Facebook and Google - no cubes but open floor layout with long tables. Each person had a small share of the table - not great for trying to hold phone conversations with clients. Understand the mentality in wanting to create a "collaborative" environment. Only issue was that Sr. Management had offices which surrounded the open floor plan. Wasn't thrilled with this.

About 2 weeks after the meet and greet, I had additional phone interviews with HR and Head of Sales. All went well and then it was MIA for, no lie, two months. I finally emailed the COO who replied that he was sorry but was leaving the company at the end of the month and wished me luck. I was astonished needless to say. He told me that another Sr. Manager would continue the process and I waited for two more weeks before this manager connected with me. Finally he did and we had two more phone conversations within another three weeks. At that point I really was considering dumping the whole process when finally HR called me with an offer. I did negotiate for a higher salary which I got and also requested a revisit because I wanted to see how the company "functioned" during the day (my meet & greet was in the late afternoon).

My revisit was interesting. The HR Director walked me around the open floor space - everyone was working diligently but what I noticed immediately was the lack of spark, energy, buzz. There was nada and it felt morose. (Plus, it was a Friday which really surprised me since most companies I worked for in the past, Friday's were energy central!)

Needless to say, not a great process and was happy to decline the offer.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Idiotic interview process with COO leaving abruptly after our meet & greet; always felt like there was something he wasn't telling me. Atmosphere of company is dead pan; morgue like. Didn't like the open environment especially when Sr. Management feels they should have offices but no one else. Not enough conference rooms - overall, uninspiring.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate, Entrepreneurship Program Interview

Associate, Entrepreneurship Program
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ConnectEDU in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process for ConnectEDU's Entrepreneurship Program is rigorous and comprehensive, especially considering that it's aimed at candidates with 0-3 years of experience.

Like other reviews note, there are 3 rounds. The first is a phone interview with a former member of the program, which consists of questions about your prior leadership experience, either of teams or of resources. The second round was an in-person round-robin interview in their 20th floor office, which has gorgeous views of Boston. This gave me a ton of insight into the company; I met friendly people from all different levels and departments who gave me candid insight into what they do and who they're looking for. Finally, in the third round, we were given 48 hours to read a lengthy case study and prepare our responses to a 10-minute prompt. Each of the candidates delivered their presentation to the senior management team, who then asked follow-up questions. This was the most nerve-wracking part of the process, but the fact that senior management was involved in entry-level recruiting demonstrated the company's commitment to its employees.

I ultimately did not receive an offer and was very disappointed about it. I hope to reapply to the program at a later date, in part because of the positive and well-run interview experience I had there. Seem like great people to work with.

Interview Question – ConnectEDU defines the "Entrepreneurship" aspect of the program as being able to make decisions and make an impact with imperfect or limited information. They asked me about a time that I had been entrepreneurial in that way. They are not looking to help you start your own business at the end of two years; they are more interested in your ability be "intrapreneurial" within the company. They also asked me to shed light on my GPA, which was lower than the 3.5 average they have in the program.   Answer Question

State Director Interview

State Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ConnectEDU in August 2012.

Interview Details – The initial process was smooth. I was contacted by a headhunter out of Boston about the position. We spoke two or three times when he handed me off to a senior team member in Boston. I should have started to worry at that point. The interviews were all phone based and spanned out over two months. The final step was flying to the Denver Airport where I met with their Solutions VP and talked for a few hours.

Interview Question – The interviews never went too deep into the role of the position. That in itself was extremely unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, I named a price and they immediately accepted. Was not expecting that to happen.

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ConnectEDU in May 2011.

Interview Details – This process was rigorous - it started off with a 30 minute phone interview with the program coordinator, 2nd round was a round-robin Skype interview with 5 company employees (each for 10 minutes, each asked a different set of questions), and 3rd round was an in-office presentation (they sent you the materials 48 hours before the interview, you had to research and present a marketing campaign for one of their products). Very intense for an entry-level position.

Interview Question – How many degrees are between the hour hand and minute hand on a clock?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a starting salary increase, wasn't that difficult.

Entrepreneurship Program Business Analyst Interview

Entrepreneurship Program Business Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ConnectEDU in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked some standard interview questions first -- what work experiences qualify you for this job, why are you interested, how did you academic studies prepare you for this job/demonstrate an interest in what we're doing, what other jobs are you looking at, etc. I sensed that they look for proof of your passion for education. At the end, they asked me a market sizing question: How many high school students reside in the U.S.? Just like all market sizing questions, they want to see how you approach the question and your thought process. I could easily tell from her lack of enthusiasm that they were already speaking with tons of other interviewees.

Interview Question – How many high school students are there in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Worked for ConnectEDU? Contribute to the Community!