ConocoPhillips

ConocoPhillips GIS IT New Hire Interview Questions

2.0

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

GIS IT New Hire Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2010.

On campus Interview followed by an on-site interview if you make it past the on campus interview. All the questions are behavioral. The hiring process includes a hair drug test and background check.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had a group member who wasn't as knowledgable at something as the rest of the group. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ConocoPhillips

GIS IT New Hire Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

First off, while this was not the right fit for me, I must say, every person I encountered at Conoco was exceedingly nice and happy to answer whatever questions I might have had.

Conoco Phillips maintained a pretty decent presence at my university, so they gently began recruiting in my classes starting junior year for interns and geared up my senior year for full time new-grad IT positions which would be in Bartlesville, OK.

The initial interview consisted of the regular behavioral-based questions such as:

- Tell me about how you work in a team
    -What is your biggest weakness?
    -What was a failure you had to deal with in college, what did you do?

and of course there were questions based around things pulled from your resume. My interviewer kept a copy in front of him and asked questions as we worked our way down the document, with him taking notes on the hard copy.

The first round is definitely trying to get to know you as a person but I would say there is a huge emphasis placed on gleaning out the individuals who would not be happy in Bartlesville, so be prepared and give that some thought beforehand. Also, I would suggest arriving a little bit early because they usually have a greeter and the more engaged you can be in conversations with the greeter, the better off you are (I got the distinct feeling she had more say than greeters usually do at companies)

If you are invited to go out to Oklahoma, they will contact you to put you in touch with their internal travel-agent of sorts, who will then make arrangements for your transportation. Once you arrive, they take you out to dinner and the next morning is split between a tour of the town, lunch and your interviews. In my case, there was a small "team" of folks who shepherded you around the buildings and town for your tour and the interview was split into three mini-interviews with three different levels of staffer, one senior IT, one mid-level IT and a senior HR.

Again, the interview was heavily behavioral-based and there were a lot of previous-project based questions. They will also ask you how you've liked your time there and there is a LOT of pride in being from Oklahoma & in the town of Bartlesville, so keep that in mind throughout the process.

Warning: If you are not used to eating lots of rich foods, be careful at lunch, most of the restaurants in town seem to favor cheese, frying things and cream sauces, and in my case I had an uneasy stomach from 24 hours of heavy foods so I had a hard time keeping a cheerful appearance while my body was revolting against steak, mac and cheese and fried pickles!

Also, be prepared for a lot of family/settling down-type talk. Even though my whole interview group consisted of college juniors and seniors most everyone was extremely interested in the 'trailing spouse" program for the bf/gf from school and on the tour they will show you multiple neighborhoods "where a couple from my Navigate 360 just bought a house" with great schools for your future kids. Most people I talked to were either married, engaged or at the least, seeing someone seriously.

I would say you definitely see that reflected in the culture of the area. However, if you are looking to settle down around kind people in an extremely family-oriented town, you have found the right place!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer how you feel about living in Bartlesville and if you are not coming from a smaller community, have ideas and methods to justify why you would be well-equipped to adapt to life in the heartland.   Answer Question