ConocoPhillips

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Analyst Interview

Associate Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in May 2010.

Interview Details – Typical interview where you interview with a couple supervisors who ask questions about your background and accomplishments that were achieved at pass jobs. They score your answers on a 1-5 scale

Interview Question – Tell us a time where you made a dramatic impact in your job?   Answer Question

Construction Management Intern Interview

Construction Management Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview Details – Was given one week notice for the interview. The interview itself was condeucted by the construction projects manager himself, and was mainly about my personality, and motivations for applying. I was also the first intern they interviewed from my program, so they asked a lot of questions about that and the content of my classes.
Was asked a few of the typical questions like:
Why do you want to work for us?
What would you say makes you a good fit for this job/internship and for this company?
What is you view/philosophy on safety?
Their website was also very helpfull in preparing for the interview. It had a lot of tips on what kinds of question I would be asked and what they expected me to know coming in. Apparently that whole section is gone...
As a side note, make SURE you memorize COPs S.P.I.R.I.T values, and their motto. (At ConocoPhillips, our work is never so urgent or important that we cannot take the time to do it safely and in an environmentally prudent manner." You will be asked about the spirit values for sure.

Interview Question – What is your view on safety? That is a tough question for a construction manager. I answered that safety is THE priority, but that it also had to be managed intelligently in order to keep a project moving forward. Prevention was the main tool in managing safety. That answer seemed to satisfy them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very simple. As an intern, they make an offer 2 weeks after the interview (a good one), and i accept.

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in March 2014.

Interview Details – Met with managers and a hiring manager for a job interview. One of the project managers looked over my resume and became snarky and made remarks about where I went to college and assumed my religious preferences. Clearly, this person was biased and religious intolerant. The other people in the room let this unprofessional behavior continue on. This made the whole interview uncomfortable. However, I acted as a professional and knew that I was already disqualified from the job because of this person's assumptions. The whole interview, this person was aggressive and asked most of the questions, seemingly to attack my character and goals in life. Again, the interview was not fair due to one person's bias. I'm not entirely sure that ConocoPhillips as a whole is free any discrimination of any kind and promotes diversity.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got in contact with them through the career website, and had to fill out an application online. In the interview there were lots of behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to bring a group of people together to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Drilling Engineer Interview

Drilling Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview Details – It was a decent interview, typical shuffle between different managers and future work colleagues. I was able to ask questions very candidly and be open.

The questions that managers had were rather insightful, I was surprised at the personal nature of questions that were sometimes asked (showed what I thought was a caring spirit)

Interview Question – There were no technical questions. They know your experience and were more interested in who you were rather than what you knew.   Answer Question

Production Engineering Intern Interview

Production Engineering Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus recruitment through my university. I met the head engineering recruiter three times- once at the career fair, and twice at on campus information sessions. Every time I spoke with a Conocophillips recruiter they seemed genuinely interested in me. Overall a friendly and welcoming company.

Interview was extremely comfortable and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker. No technical questions were asked- strictly behavioral.   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work for ConocoPhillips?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation over salary, placement, or benefits, which makes perfect sense. The compensation for an engineering intern is beyond amazing, and there is simply no need for negotiation. They provided housing compensation as well as generous monthly salary.

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Accounting/Finance Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2013.

Interview Details – They took us out to a pre-interview dinner the night before, at a nice place. The next day we were taken to a "holding" room where we were greeted by a current employee who answered any questions we had and gave us some confidence. We were then taken back to the room where I was greeted by my two interviewers who I had met the night before. Since we had chatted at the dinner, the atmosphere was pretty relaxed. All behavioral, nothing hard. Took a little over 2 weeks for the to get back with me.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to recruit other people? Was it difficult?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as the price is very high compared to other firms for an internship.

Compliance Analyst Interview

Compliance Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the website and contacted for phone interview few weeks after. the phone interview was very quick going through backgrounds on my resume. By the end of the week I was invited to a onsite interview. The onsite interview included four panel and asked five behavior questions. They were really friendly and nice. A week later I was told to go for another interview. This time it was with the manager of the department and had similar questions to the first round. Now I'm waiting for their decision.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult but the questions are all behavioral so you really need to prepare ahead of time. You will need to provide them with examples and not how you will handle the situation.   Answer Question

Summit Engineer Interview

Summit Engineer
Houston, TX

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview Details – Interviewed at a job fair and a site visit a few weeks later at the HQ in Houston. Interviewed with 5 different people who asked a lot of cliche behavioral questions from what I believe was a prepared list. Everyone I met with seemed professional and pleasant. Didn't hear back from this company for 3 WEEKS after this interview, but was finally given a verbal offer (salary, start date, etc).
Was told to expect an official written offer in a few days, then was asked for my college transcript which no one had asked for during this whole process. Didn't hear anything for a few days, then received a call saying they were retracting my offer due to lower than expected grades on my transcript.
Obviously I thought this was poorly handled, if it was so important to them why did they not ask for it before?
 I recommend you take a strong look at this program before you potentially waste over a month of your time with these people like I did.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you used your technical abilities to solve a problem?   Answer Question

PTRRC Associate Interview

PTRRC Associate
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview Details – Interviewed by two managers. They asked about my experience. Very conversational.

Con: It took 4 months to hear back on a decision.

Interview Question – The interview was more like a conversation to get to know me. They asked if I had any experience in taxes, real estate, and properties.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ConocoPhillips

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ConocoPhillips interview questions and advice in Houston, TX. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by ConocoPhillips employees and interview candidates.