ConocoPhillips Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.9

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Met at career fair on campus. Heard back within a week. And set up an interview. The interview was completely behavioral. The recruiter really tried to make you feel comfortable and was very clear about the process and what to expect in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when working with a group didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

There was only one on campus interview, with two interviewers. They were very accommodating to find an interview time that fit my busy schedule. The interview consisted of standard behavioral questions, no surprises.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

Invited a couple of my colleagues in for interviews without any intention to hire them and told them so at the end of their respective interviews. My own interview felt aggressive, like they were trying to throw me off balance. Possible interviewing technique? Recruiting called everyone who interviewed to tell them they were their ideal choice but HR wouldn't let them pick you. Felt a bit dishonest. Not all bad but left with a negative experience. Recruiters were nice/ pleasant during their info session and at the career fair.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you took the initiative to fix a problem instead of waiting it out or letting someone else deal with it?   Answer Question

Landman Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

I did an on campus interview at my college. Instead of having you wait in a waiting room, you sit at a table filled with different free give aways, other students waiting for their interview, and one worker. This is your opportunity to display to the worker that you can network with the other students. A friend who interned with them during a previous summer told me that this is a sort of test to see which students will be worried about their interview and which students will be relaxed. The person who is going to interview you comes to get you and takes you into a small room where there is a person who asks the questions and a scribe. Both seemed very intimidating at first giving little feedback. Be very very familiar with behavioral questions and try to have an array of different stories lined up to tell. The interview took about 45 minutes. After the interview I immediately received an offer to join the team for dinner, where the people who interviewed me seemed much less intimidating and told me a did a very good job. Overall it was a tough interview but because of thoroughness it was easy to play up my strengths and really talk about why I was most qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging computer based problem that you have ever had to solve?   Answer Question
    • What do you understand the responsibilities of a land man to be?   Answer Question

Senior Drilling Engineer Interview

I was recruited through Lynced In, It was a simple process. I really liked the managers, and decided that a larger company wouldn't be so bad if I got the chance to work for these guys. Safety is a core value at COP.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in August 2014.

There were two interviewers. They basically just go through my resume from top to bottom and ask questions related to my resume, in great detail. Some questions involved the specific scientific term or experiment. Sometimes they ask me to describe the work experience and share some work knowledge with them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are mixed with technical and behavioral. I didn't find the question to be that hard if you know your resume really well. I find the toughest question is at the end, when they ask you if you have any questions for them. I still don't know what kind of question should I ask to get give interviewers the best impression.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Hiring and interview process is as easy as one can expect in terms of procedure. Very organized and structured. First round interview was on campus, afterwards they selected a few people for second round interviews the next day. Decisions came soon afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Questions revolving fitting prior experience to the oil/gas industry. (I had no oil/gas experience prior to the interview)   Answer Question

Construction Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Was given one week notice for the interview. The interview itself was condeucted by the construction projects manager himself, and was mainly about my personality, and motivations for applying. I was also the first intern they interviewed from my program, so they asked a lot of questions about that and the content of my classes.
    Was asked a few of the typical questions like:
    Why do you want to work for us?
    What would you say makes you a good fit for this job/internship and for this company?
    What is you view/philosophy on safety?
    Their website was also very helpfull in preparing for the interview. It had a lot of tips on what kinds of question I would be asked and what they expected me to know coming in. Apparently that whole section is gone...
    As a side note, make SURE you memorize COPs S.P.I.R.I.T values, and their motto. (At ConocoPhillips, our work is never so urgent or important that we cannot take the time to do it safely and in an environmentally prudent manner." You will be asked about the spirit values for sure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your view on safety? That is a tough question for a construction manager. I answered that safety is THE priority, but that it also had to be managed intelligently in order to keep a project moving forward. Prevention was the main tool in managing safety. That answer seemed to satisfy them.   Answer Question
    Very simple. As an intern, they make an offer 2 weeks after the interview (a good one), and i accept.

Intern Interview

Many behavioral questions

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in March 2014.

Met with managers and a hiring manager for a job interview. One of the project managers looked over my resume and became snarky and made remarks about where I went to college and assumed my religious preferences. Clearly, this person was biased and religious intolerant. The other people in the room let this unprofessional behavior continue on. This made the whole interview uncomfortable. However, I acted as a professional and knew that I was already disqualified from the job because of this person's assumptions. The whole interview, this person was aggressive and asked most of the questions, seemingly to attack my character and goals in life. Again, the interview was not fair due to one person's bias. I'm not entirely sure that ConocoPhillips as a whole is free any discrimination of any kind and promotes diversity.

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!