ConocoPhillips

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

The entire process with ConocoPhillips was incredibly pleasant and quick - I was never wondering what the next steps were. I met them at first on campus at a career fair, where they told me all about the world of IT and ConocoPhillips. I gave them my resume, and they quickly contacted me for an on-campus interview. Before the interview, they invited me to a wonderful dinner, where I got to know the recruiters and other possible new hires.
    The on-campus interview was completely behavioral, and it was relaxed and comfortable. I talked to two interviewers simultaneously for about 45 minutes, and they were both professional and friendly. They left me with instructions to wait for communication in the next two weeks - it came, as promised, in a timely fashion. They invited me for an on-site interview.
    I drove to Bartlesville and all expenses were paid, from the gas to the hotel to all the food I could hope for. It was a wonderful experience. The day of the interview we split up into two groups - half of us toured through Bartlesville while the other half interviewed, and then we switched. I met with three interviewers individually for about 45 minutes each, and we rotated. Again, the questions were almost exclusively behavioral - I was never asked to write any code or demonstrate knowledge, only to talk about my past experiences and how I made decisions in certain situations.
    I ended up going with a different offer since Bartlesville, OK is not a particularly interesting location, but it was still a great experience and I'd recommend ConocoPhillips to anybody.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you lead a group and one member did not perform to your expectations.   Answer Question

The offer was really nice - nice pay, nice benefits - and their work campus is very spacious and active. However, I ended up choosing a different offer with a different company, because location is very important to me and Bartlesville is not the most exciting.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

It is incredibly important that you make a personal connection with someone in the company (and get them to ping the hiring manager for you as a referral) if you want your resume to be considered. Otherwise there are simply too many applicants for every job. Once you get through the initial technical screening (which is relatively simple), you are going to do a STAR behavioral interview. Be sure to do some research so you understand how to answer these questions. The hiring manger is essentially just trying to complete a worksheet on you to make sure you provide all the elements of the STAR. From there, I would just say that ConocoPhillips is a very family/friend oriented organization. You are much more likely to be hired if (in addition to being qualified for the job), you come across like a great guy/girl who just wants to help out. Nice people are preferred.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been in a group that did not work well together?   Answer Question
    You are negotiating with an IT staffer, not your hiring manager. Remember that. They have certain limits they can negotiate within for the job's salary grade. Your years of experience are important for them. Relocation is a great package, be sure to ask for it if you are eligible (live more than 50 miles away). You do not want to be above your salary mid-point or your year end bonus will be reduced. Generally speaking, they are going to make an offer, you get one counter, then you get to choose to accept/reject their final offer. Finally, don't be discouraged if the process takes a long time. From my initial application to my offer acceptance, it took 90 days. I was told that was one of the fastest they had had in the last year. Good luck!

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Talked with a representative at the college career fair, was offered an interview on spot. Interview was 45 minutes long, and very thorough with respect to your work experiences. Interviewer was not very personable, difficult interview overall. Got a rejection 2 months after the interview, but it was expected, as some friends were invited to dinner 1-2 weeks after interview.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Behavioral Interviews. Multiple interviews over a two hour span. Spoke with three different interviewers. Be sure you study up for the interview. Need to recall all the experiences you've had in different areas and how you can apply them to the "Tell me about a time when...." type questions - leadership, decision making, team work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were challenged by a team you were leading and how did you overcome those challenges?   View Answer

Land New Hire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Applied through University on-campus interviews system. Once accepted for an interview, scheduled one a week later. The interview was pretty much as expected. They dived right into the behavioral questions and had one person asking the questions while another took notes. They are looking for you to use the STAR method of answering behavioral questions and will probe you further on each answer you give. I tried to be prepared as much as possible by looking at all the interview reviews on this website but they still managed to come up with new ones. The interview lasted a little over an hour and later that day they asked me to dinner. For on-campus interviews, this is the equivalent of a second interview. They only ask the ones they really liked that day to join them (4 out of 16 in my case). The dinner is pretty laid back, just practice good manners and try to talk to all the different people around you. After two weeks I was offered the job and took it after about a week of thinking about it. Overall, just have stories prepared for the interview and remember that it's just a conversation. They don't discard you if you take some time to answer, I asked to take some time to think on several questions.

Interview Questions
    They're extremely flexible with the start dates but wouldn't budge on the salary, bonus, vacation, and moving stipend.

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Met at career fair on campus. Heard back within a week. And set up an interview. The interview was completely behavioral. The recruiter really tried to make you feel comfortable and was very clear about the process and what to expect in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when working with a group didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

There was only one on campus interview, with two interviewers. They were very accommodating to find an interview time that fit my busy schedule. The interview consisted of standard behavioral questions, no surprises.

Geoscience Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

There were two interviewers, one who was asking the required questions and one who more carried on a conversation. It felt a little like "good cop, bad cop" and I wasn't sure what my chances were for an offer after the interview. The interviewer who carried on the conversation was very positive and easy to talk to. The other interviewer (who was asking questions from a paper) was a little less easy to talk to, and the questions weren't easy to answer. I guess with the two interviewing styles intermixed, the questions just caught me off-guard and I really had to switch gears to think of an answer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you failed. What did you do afterwards?   Answer Question
    I had another offer in hand from another company and had not heard from ConocoPhillips, so I let them know. They responded with a better offer, which I accepted.

Landman Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

I did an on campus interview at my college. Instead of having you wait in a waiting room, you sit at a table filled with different free give aways, other students waiting for their interview, and one worker. This is your opportunity to display to the worker that you can network with the other students. A friend who interned with them during a previous summer told me that this is a sort of test to see which students will be worried about their interview and which students will be relaxed. The person who is going to interview you comes to get you and takes you into a small room where there is a person who asks the questions and a scribe. Both seemed very intimidating at first giving little feedback. Be very very familiar with behavioral questions and try to have an array of different stories lined up to tell. The interview took about 45 minutes. After the interview I immediately received an offer to join the team for dinner, where the people who interviewed me seemed much less intimidating and told me a did a very good job. Overall it was a tough interview but because of thoroughness it was easy to play up my strengths and really talk about why I was most qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging computer based problem that you have ever had to solve?   Answer Question
    • What do you understand the responsibilities of a land man to be?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

Invited a couple of my colleagues in for interviews without any intention to hire them and told them so at the end of their respective interviews. My own interview felt aggressive, like they were trying to throw me off balance. Possible interviewing technique? Recruiting called everyone who interviewed to tell them they were their ideal choice but HR wouldn't let them pick you. Felt a bit dishonest. Not all bad but left with a negative experience. Recruiters were nice/ pleasant during their info session and at the career fair.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you took the initiative to fix a problem instead of waiting it out or letting someone else deal with it?   Answer Question