ConocoPhillips Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.8

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

interview with campus recruiter first, then interview with three supervisors. Interviews are behavioral but also include a few basic accounting questions about the financial statements. The company is big on having an ideal fit for their culture.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were behavioral apart for a few accounting and finance questions   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collinsville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Collinsville, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First phase of testing was a multiple choice exam. First two sections are very easy since you pull information from charts, graphs, and mechanical reasoning. Behavioral section is personal info about you.

Data Integration Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviewed me once on the phone and then offered me the job. They usually have some immediate project need when they are hiring a contractor, so they would like you to start as soon as possible. If you want to be a full-time employee, it is easier to get on as a contractor, and then get hired on full time when they like you, than to get a full-time offer up front.

Interview Questions

• What type of Informatica Transformations have you worked with?   1 Answer

Project Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

Phone interview: Benchmarking supervisor Tom Hren called me for an half hour interview. He is interested in the CII project I completed and want more details. Got oral offer four days later.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me how you built the model for predicting the impact of change?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

Relatively easy. Was the last one to interview for the day and decided to just review my resume. Ask indirect behavioral questions about my teamwork and problem-solvering skills. Should of lasted 30 minutes but ended up talking for about 45 mins.

Applications Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

In-person panel interview with team manager and a couple team specialists. The tone of the interview was courteous and professional throughout. The interviewers allowed time to elaborate on answers and I did not feel rushed or grilled. The discussion was primarily technical and revolved around a review of my past work experience with a few behavioral questions. Overall, a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a call from an upset co-worker demanding an immediate solution to his/her technical issues?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Houston, TX).

Interview

Started with a phone interview with hiring manager. She wanted to know what kind of evaluations I've done. Otherwise the questions were pretty standard. She also said they get a lot of submissions for these roles. I didn't get a call back and I don't know why.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

The entire process with ConocoPhillips was incredibly pleasant and quick - I was never wondering what the next steps were. I met them at first on campus at a career fair, where they told me all about the world of IT and ConocoPhillips. I gave them my resume, and they quickly contacted me for an on-campus interview. Before the interview, they invited me to a wonderful dinner, where I got to know the recruiters and other possible new hires. The on-campus interview was completely behavioral, and it was relaxed and comfortable. I talked to two interviewers simultaneously for about 45 minutes, and they were both professional and friendly. They left me with instructions to wait for communication in the next two weeks - it came, as promised, in a timely fashion. They invited me for an on-site interview. I drove to Bartlesville and all expenses were paid, from the gas to the hotel to all the food I could hope for. It was a wonderful experience. The day of the interview we split up into two groups - half of us toured through Bartlesville while the other half interviewed, and then we switched. I met with three interviewers individually for about 45 minutes each, and we rotated. Again, the questions were almost exclusively behavioral - I was never asked to write any code or demonstrate knowledge, only to talk about my past experiences and how I made decisions in certain situations. I ended up going with a different offer since Bartlesville, OK is not a particularly interesting location, but it was still a great experience and I'd recommend ConocoPhillips to anybody.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a group and one member did not perform to your expectations.   Answer Question

The offer was really nice - nice pay, nice benefits - and their work campus is very spacious and active. However, I ended up choosing a different offer with a different company, because location is very important to me and Bartlesville is not the most exciting.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips (Bartlesville, OK).

Interview

It is incredibly important that you make a personal connection with someone in the company (and get them to ping the hiring manager for you as a referral) if you want your resume to be considered. Otherwise there are simply too many applicants for every job. Once you get through the initial technical screening (which is relatively simple), you are going to do a STAR behavioral interview. Be sure to do some research so you understand how to answer these questions. The hiring manger is essentially just trying to complete a worksheet on you to make sure you provide all the elements of the STAR. From there, I would just say that ConocoPhillips is a very family/friend oriented organization. You are much more likely to be hired if (in addition to being qualified for the job), you come across like a great guy/girl who just wants to help out. Nice people are preferred.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a group that did not work well together?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You are negotiating with an IT staffer, not your hiring manager. Remember that. They have certain limits they can negotiate within for the job's salary grade. Your years of experience are important for them. Relocation is a great package, be sure to ask for it if you are eligible (live more than 50 miles away). You do not want to be above your salary mid-point or your year end bonus will be reduced. Generally speaking, they are going to make an offer, you get one counter, then you get to choose to accept/reject their final offer. Finally, don't be discouraged if the process takes a long time. From my initial application to my offer acceptance, it took 90 days. I was told that was one of the fastest they had had in the last year. Good luck!

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interview

Talked with a representative at the college career fair, was offered an interview on spot. Interview was 45 minutes long, and very thorough with respect to your work experiences. Interviewer was not very personable, difficult interview overall. Got a rejection 2 months after the interview, but it was expected, as some friends were invited to dinner 1-2 weeks after interview.