ConocoPhillips

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.9

GIS IT New Hire Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

First off, while this was not the right fit for me, I must say, every person I encountered at Conoco was exceedingly nice and happy to answer whatever questions I might have had.

Conoco Phillips maintained a pretty decent presence at my university, so they gently began recruiting in my classes starting junior year for interns and geared up my senior year for full time new-grad IT positions which would be in Bartlesville, OK.

The initial interview consisted of the regular behavioral-based questions such as:

- Tell me about how you work in a team
    -What is your biggest weakness?
    -What was a failure you had to deal with in college, what did you do?

and of course there were questions based around things pulled from your resume. My interviewer kept a copy in front of him and asked questions as we worked our way down the document, with him taking notes on the hard copy.

The first round is definitely trying to get to know you as a person but I would say there is a huge emphasis placed on gleaning out the individuals who would not be happy in Bartlesville, so be prepared and give that some thought beforehand. Also, I would suggest arriving a little bit early because they usually have a greeter and the more engaged you can be in conversations with the greeter, the better off you are (I got the distinct feeling she had more say than greeters usually do at companies)

If you are invited to go out to Oklahoma, they will contact you to put you in touch with their internal travel-agent of sorts, who will then make arrangements for your transportation. Once you arrive, they take you out to dinner and the next morning is split between a tour of the town, lunch and your interviews. In my case, there was a small "team" of folks who shepherded you around the buildings and town for your tour and the interview was split into three mini-interviews with three different levels of staffer, one senior IT, one mid-level IT and a senior HR.

Again, the interview was heavily behavioral-based and there were a lot of previous-project based questions. They will also ask you how you've liked your time there and there is a LOT of pride in being from Oklahoma & in the town of Bartlesville, so keep that in mind throughout the process.

Warning: If you are not used to eating lots of rich foods, be careful at lunch, most of the restaurants in town seem to favor cheese, frying things and cream sauces, and in my case I had an uneasy stomach from 24 hours of heavy foods so I had a hard time keeping a cheerful appearance while my body was revolting against steak, mac and cheese and fried pickles!

Also, be prepared for a lot of family/settling down-type talk. Even though my whole interview group consisted of college juniors and seniors most everyone was extremely interested in the 'trailing spouse" program for the bf/gf from school and on the tour they will show you multiple neighborhoods "where a couple from my Navigate 360 just bought a house" with great schools for your future kids. Most people I talked to were either married, engaged or at the least, seeing someone seriously.

I would say you definitely see that reflected in the culture of the area. However, if you are looking to settle down around kind people in an extremely family-oriented town, you have found the right place!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer how you feel about living in Bartlesville and if you are not coming from a smaller community, have ideas and methods to justify why you would be well-equipped to adapt to life in the heartland.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Very informal, Interviewed with someone who worked in supply chain, not someone from H.R. Two people, one mostly asked the questions and talked while the other mostly took notes. Most questions related to how I handled situations in the past and my experience relevant to the position. Overall, a relaxed interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you knew that you were right but others wouldn't believe you.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Behavioral interview, followed by a "Super Day"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really...pretty straightforward behavioral questions   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

I applied through the university and was notified after 2 weeks of an interview. Philips 66 hosted an info session for everyone and brought us out to dinner on the night before the interview. During the interview, I was given basic behavior questions along with a case interview. Recruiters are all really helpful and they try to make you as comfortable as possible.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do for fun? Why do you want to work in the oil industry.   Answer Question
    They were pushy in terms of their offer. They gave a very limited amount of time to accept and really push candidates to accept. Did not have room for negotiation.

Engineering Intern Interview

Selected for interview through campus hiring process. Had 2 interviewers. Ask the typical behavior questions. Example: Give a time you were given a project and how did you handle it.?I interviewed with the company twice in 2 years. The first time I did not receive an offer but the second time I did.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time you had to work with an uncooperative coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Applied through college recruiting service, got an interview, and was just asked a series of behavioral questions.

Supply Chain Interview

The process was a little bit slow, but that it to be expected for a large company. They posted updates on their review of application/resume after you apply on the website. It took about 5-6 weeks from application to an initial phone interview with HR. That interview was short and straightforward to see if salary expectations and basic skills are a good fit for the job. 1 week after the phone interview i heard back and had a face to face. The face to face was about 90 minutes total with 3 people. It was a behavioral interview asking for examples of scenarios from previous employment. All questions were reasonable, no curve balls. They felt out for some technical experience and interest in future aspirations

Interview Questions
    • No curve ball questions. Typical behavioral interview. Explaining difficult situations or difficult bosses at previous jobs can be hard but isn't anything you wouldn't expect.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in April 2011.

I went through two rounds of interviews. The first round was with the Oil Sands department, the second round was with the Information technology department.

Interview Questions
    • They asked general questions about my previous work experience and how it related to the position I was applying for   Answer Question
    I asked for a 10% raise compared to my previous job, and they offered a 25% raise compared to my previous job

Intern Interview

Many behavioral questions

Petrotech Apprentice Interview

Register from Campus Recruitment Program. Got an asessment in two days (TOEIC, Psychometric and Psycho Test Interview). Everything seems common. Now, I'm waiting for next assessment (HR & User Interview) in Jakarta.

Interview Questions
    • Just asking about your field work experience, your most interesting experience and your activities during study in campus.   Answer Question