ConocoPhillips

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.9

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Talked with a representative at the college career fair, was offered an interview on spot. Interview was 45 minutes long, and very thorough with respect to your work experiences. Interviewer was not very personable, difficult interview overall. Got a rejection 2 months after the interview, but it was expected, as some friends were invited to dinner 1-2 weeks after interview.

Geoscience Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

There were two interviewers, one who was asking the required questions and one who more carried on a conversation. It felt a little like "good cop, bad cop" and I wasn't sure what my chances were for an offer after the interview. The interviewer who carried on the conversation was very positive and easy to talk to. The other interviewer (who was asking questions from a paper) was a little less easy to talk to, and the questions weren't easy to answer. I guess with the two interviewing styles intermixed, the questions just caught me off-guard and I really had to switch gears to think of an answer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you failed. What did you do afterwards?   Answer Question
    I had another offer in hand from another company and had not heard from ConocoPhillips, so I let them know. They responded with a better offer, which I accepted.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips in June 2014.

The interview was very straight forward. There weren't any technical questions asked. I met with a recruiter at a University Career Fair where they took my resume. I was contacted a week later and asked to schedule an interview. The interview was very straigh forward and only consisted of behavior questions after they asked me to briefly run through my Resume. Overall a great experience

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

The communication in the beginning is fantastic. Once you get to the onsite interview it completely changes. The employees don't make you feel welcome and it is relatively hard to get conversation going. The process is long and you shouldn't get your hopes up. They don't hire a lot of people and you need to be pretty much perfect to get a job.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral based interview. The questions are basic for the interview.   Answer Question

Land New Hire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Applied through University on-campus interviews system. Once accepted for an interview, scheduled one a week later. The interview was pretty much as expected. They dived right into the behavioral questions and had one person asking the questions while another took notes. They are looking for you to use the STAR method of answering behavioral questions and will probe you further on each answer you give. I tried to be prepared as much as possible by looking at all the interview reviews on this website but they still managed to come up with new ones. The interview lasted a little over an hour and later that day they asked me to dinner. For on-campus interviews, this is the equivalent of a second interview. They only ask the ones they really liked that day to join them (4 out of 16 in my case). The dinner is pretty laid back, just practice good manners and try to talk to all the different people around you. After two weeks I was offered the job and took it after about a week of thinking about it. Overall, just have stories prepared for the interview and remember that it's just a conversation. They don't discard you if you take some time to answer, I asked to take some time to think on several questions.

Interview Questions
    They're extremely flexible with the start dates but wouldn't budge on the salary, bonus, vacation, and moving stipend.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Behavioral Interviews. Multiple interviews over a two hour span. Spoke with three different interviewers. Be sure you study up for the interview. Need to recall all the experiences you've had in different areas and how you can apply them to the "Tell me about a time when...." type questions - leadership, decision making, team work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were challenged by a team you were leading and how did you overcome those challenges?   View Answer

Landman Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

I did an on campus interview at my college. Instead of having you wait in a waiting room, you sit at a table filled with different free give aways, other students waiting for their interview, and one worker. This is your opportunity to display to the worker that you can network with the other students. A friend who interned with them during a previous summer told me that this is a sort of test to see which students will be worried about their interview and which students will be relaxed. The person who is going to interview you comes to get you and takes you into a small room where there is a person who asks the questions and a scribe. Both seemed very intimidating at first giving little feedback. Be very very familiar with behavioral questions and try to have an array of different stories lined up to tell. The interview took about 45 minutes. After the interview I immediately received an offer to join the team for dinner, where the people who interviewed me seemed much less intimidating and told me a did a very good job. Overall it was a tough interview but because of thoroughness it was easy to play up my strengths and really talk about why I was most qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging computer based problem that you have ever had to solve?   Answer Question
    • What do you understand the responsibilities of a land man to be?   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Met at career fair on campus. Heard back within a week. And set up an interview. The interview was completely behavioral. The recruiter really tried to make you feel comfortable and was very clear about the process and what to expect in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when working with a group didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

There was only one on campus interview, with two interviewers. They were very accommodating to find an interview time that fit my busy schedule. The interview consisted of standard behavioral questions, no surprises.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2014.

Invited a couple of my colleagues in for interviews without any intention to hire them and told them so at the end of their respective interviews. My own interview felt aggressive, like they were trying to throw me off balance. Possible interviewing technique? Recruiting called everyone who interviewed to tell them they were their ideal choice but HR wouldn't let them pick you. Felt a bit dishonest. Not all bad but left with a negative experience. Recruiters were nice/ pleasant during their info session and at the career fair.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you took the initiative to fix a problem instead of waiting it out or letting someone else deal with it?   Answer Question