ConocoPhillips Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.9

Messaging Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in July 2012.

I was first called by HR to set up a time to have a technical interview about a week out. I was called for a technical interview which was given by the IT Manager and the IT Director. The technical interview lasted a little over an hour. They basically wanted to me to tell them what I knew. They did ask a couple of technical questions, but it was one of the easiest technical interviews I’ve ever had. That could have been because I went into so much detail about my experience. About 30 minutes to an hour after the interview I was called and arrangements were made to fly to Tulsa for an interview in Bartlesville three weeks out.

The interview in Bartlesville was from 9:30 am till almost 3:00 pm. I was interviewed by the IT Manager and the IT Director. As all the other reviews state, it was not a technical interview. They asked a lot of scenario based questions. After that interview I was given a tour and then taken to lunch with the Manager and several team members. After lunch they drove me around town a little and then I was interviewed by two other team members. The IT Manager came back in and we talked for a while and then I flew back home. Overall a great interview process. I was impressed with the facilities, the management, and the team.

About a week later they called me asking what I was expecting for salary. I told them and about four days later they called back with the offer. The reason they called is it was so much lower than I was asking that they said they didn’t want to insult me. The HR guy I was talking to said I could go into negotiations with them if I wanted, but it was pointless because they couldn’t come close to what I was asking. At that point I thanked him and that was it. I did email/call him back a couple of times because I had a couple of more questions, but at that point I never received a response. I guess they were done with me after I declined their offer.

For the position they were filling and expectations for that position, I was extremely disappointed in the offer. Make sure you speak to the HR person about salary before agreeing to fly to Tulsa for an interview. If it was that low, I figured they would have asked me what I was expecting, however it was never mentioned. Had they offered me close to what I was asking, I would have taken the job.

Interview Questions
    • I read all of the questions on here and they suprised me with mostly new questions. If you read all the ones on here and write out answers to them, you should do fine.   Answer Question

It was well below what I'm currently making and the HR person told me it would be a waste of time to negotiate.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in March 2012.

I have applied to the position through their corporate website. 2 days later got a call from HR about telephonic interview.

Telephonic interview is more technical and focus on getting a feel about the candidate. Lasted for 30 minutes. Hiring manager and other technical person talked on the phone.

Got a call from HR next day about in person interview in Bartlesville following week. Used company shuttle to fly and stayed there 1 day.

In person interview is the best interview I ever had. Had a tour of ConocoPhilips campus for 30 minutes. It helped me a lot to calm down and focus.
    After the tour they take me into a meeting room. 3 member panel interviewed me. Very friendly and its a two way communication. They asked some technical questions and then some behavioral questions.

After the interview had a lunch with the team.
    Felt very confident after the interview.

Got a call from HR next week and he asked my salary expectations.
    Got the offer letter few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation you did learn new things and how you applied them.   Answer Question
    Not negotiated much. Offered me the salary according to my expectations.
    Very happy.
    Once you tell the salary range they will send you an offer letter with their figure. I don't think there is a scope for negotiation after offer is made.
    They have very good benefits like 401k , pension plan..

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in January 2012.

I received a phone call about 2-3 weeks after applying for the position online. I was asked to join them for an onsite interview scheduled for one week later. The interview consisted of two short 30 minute interviews with a panel consisting of 2-3 people in each panel. Everyone was very friendly and the interview process was more like a conversation. They did ask some standard behavior questions to describe a time when you were in a difficult situation, etc. Each member of the panel shared their story and did most of the talking. I was able to respond and react to each of their comments and asked some follow up questions. One of the most comfortable and natural interviews I have ever been through. I received a brief phone call exactly one week after my interview that I would be receiving an email offer from them. This is a company that really feels like a family and I can't wait to get started.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define good performance?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you worked with either an internal or external party to resolve an issue. What was the issue and how was it resolved?   Answer Question
    The negotiation process takes place between an HR specialist and the hiring manager. They communicated my questions and counter offers to them directly and responded back in a very quick and timely manner. Overall, I believe there is room to negotiate but it might be difficult as its done indirectly through HR.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in November 2011.

So, this is after they fly you down for an onsite interview. It involves about 5 different interviews strung out throughout the day, and a presentation you have to give likely on your thesis.

The ideal candidate would be a geologist that did a thesis on shale plays, using numerous types of data including geophysical. Experience with Petra would be a huge plus, and be sure to mention how successful you have been working in a team environment in the past.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in November 2011.

Applied through my schools website and was selected for and on-campus interview. The interview was all behavioral. Received an a week later for second rounds in the their Bartlesville office. Interviews there where the same as the previous.

Summit Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in November 2011.

Interviewed with six individuals for approximately 40 minutes each and was taken for lunch with two Summit engineers from the summer before. Exactly 2 weeks later, just as they had promised, they emailed me their decision letter with offer. Approx. 6 weeks before my start date I was mailed paperwork for background and hair test information which had to be completed two weeks prior to me starting to obtain HR clearance in time.

Did not negotiate.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in October 2011.

The interview opportunity was given through my University. I applied for the interview and was chosen to be selected out of the pool of applicants. An interview with ConocoPhillips is unlike a typical one. They ask questions that enable them to see what your character is like; leadership skills, working in a team atmosphere, confidence in your abilities. The questions are along the lines of "What is the biggest obstacle that you have come across in your life"....and questions that follow up you answer such as "And how did you handle that situation.". The best advice I have for an interview with this company would be to be honest, be yourself, and be able to talk about 4-7 different times in your life that have shown a successful track record such as school accomplishments, work experiences, and life changing experiences.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the biggest obstacle that you have come across in your life" " And how did you handle it?"   Answer Question
    • "Can you describe a time when you were working with a group and they disagreed with you, when you knew that you were right." "How did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in October 2011.

Visited information session and dropped my resume. Was pre-selected to interview (among 30 others). Interview consisted of behavioral and past experience questions. Also had a short case study regarding a specific job-related scenario. Interview was with two recruiters. Was called a month later with an offer.

Information Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2011.

Was invited for a student leadership forum on-site in Bartlesville. The experience was a 3 day event that was very informative about the operations of the company and different positions available.

Two behavioral interviews were conducted about 30 mins each. They focused mostly on past experience and different problems solved working in teams and such.

Interview Questions

The type of work was not pertinent to my interests at the time.

NMR Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ConocoPhillips in August 2011.

I started the interview process with an on campus recruiter whom I met several times over a two year period. Based on our interactions I was given a telephone interview. Following that I had a two day site visit that consisted of five one on one interviews and a presentation. In the end the company splitting up resulted in freeze on hiring and no job offer.