Conservation International Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Conservation International.

Interview

It was a phone interview that they set up by email. 3 people participated, and 1 person was about 10 minutes late to the call. One person asked most of the questions, and collectively as a group they were polite and willing to answer questions. They never let me know, however, that I was not selected to continue in the process, despite telling me that they would get back to me in a week or two. Not a letter, an email, nada, even after I sent a thank you email to each of them. Was a pretty big turn-off.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by two team in person interviews. The first in-person interview was with a panel. And, the second in-person interview was with staff from some of the field offices

Interview Questions

• Should you take this job, what would be the top five things you'd do first?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Never negotiate over the phone

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone, Video and in person interviews with mostly behavioral questions. I interviewed with about 5 people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was some back and forth but not a lot of play in the offer. I think I went up $4,000

Manager Interview

Interview

Why you want to work with us?

Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

CI has a tough hiring process. I felt the interview was thorough and fair. But I will never pursue another opportunity with them. Why? Even though I didn't get the job, I think it's only fair that they get back to me and tell me. They never even wrote a 1-line email. I find that hurtful and frankly unprofessional.

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Smooth interview process which was helped by the fact they had been recruiting for this position for a long time and I was a good fit. The quickly moved forward and provided relocation assistance.

Negotiation

Yes. They made the position a higher level with more salary per my request.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got called by hr, then a phone interview was setup, and after that a person interview was setup. After all paper work was submitted I got the job.

Special Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

I had two interviews - one phone, and one in person. I was very pleased with how quickly they moved along - my in-person was within 2 weeks of my phone interview. Interview questions were very standard, nothing that I could not answer. Ultimately I did not get the job, but the person I interviewed with thanked me personally for coming in.

Interview Questions

• Asked why I wanted to work with CI - this is difficult, because I think they are looking for some passion-inspired, overarching answer to why someone would want to work for a nonprofit, specifically theirs.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Conservation International in July 2008.

Interview

Applied for job and got an email back requesting a phone interview. We had the standard questions - why are you interested in this job, your work experience, etc.. This phone interview was only with one person - the coordinator of the team that I would be working with. That was successful and they asked me in for a second, in person panel interview, which consisted of the core members of the team. Pretty relaxed - it seemed like the second interview was mostly for finding out about my personality, interacting with me in person, and seeing my body language in addition to my answers for the interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in conservation (my experience did not show any conservation interests or background)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for a minimally higher salary but I shot myself in the foot because I made it very clear that I was going to be taking this job even if they did not increase the salary. Also only had one round of negotiations - felt like I could have negotiated harder. Negotiations also probably depend on the time of year - if it's early or late in the fiscal year (June), then you can probably negotiate better because they're either developing the budget or they have a full pot to work from.

Field Position Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Conservation International.

Interview

Online application, email response, individual interview by phone, panel interview by skype. Very enjoyable discussions with several managers and directors to learn about their objectives and convey how my experience relates

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer, counteroffer, finalization. Very amicable throughout.