Conservation International

Updated Dec 29, 2014
Updated Dec 29, 2014

3.1

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Conservation International.

Phone interview, followed by two team in person interviews. The first in-person interview was with a panel. And, the second in-person interview was with staff from some of the field offices

Interview Questions
    • Should you take this job, what would be the top five things you'd do first?   Answer Question
    Never negotiate over the phone

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Conservation International.

Phone, Video and in person interviews with mostly behavioral questions. I interviewed with about 5 people.

Interview Questions
    There was some back and forth but not a lot of play in the offer. I think I went up $4,000

Manager Interview

Why you want to work with us?

Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Conservation International in February 2014.

CI has a tough hiring process. I felt the interview was thorough and fair. But I will never pursue another opportunity with them. Why? Even though I didn't get the job, I think it's only fair that they get back to me and tell me. They never even wrote a 1-line email. I find that hurtful and frankly unprofessional.

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Smooth interview process which was helped by the fact they had been recruiting for this position for a long time and I was a good fit. The quickly moved forward and provided relocation assistance.

Yes. They made the position a higher level with more salary per my request.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Conservation International in March 2013.

Submitted resume online, got called by hr, then a phone interview was setup, and after that a person interview was setup. After all paper work was submitted I got the job.

Special Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Conservation International in November 2012.

I had two interviews - one phone, and one in person. I was very pleased with how quickly they moved along - my in-person was within 2 weeks of my phone interview. Interview questions were very standard, nothing that I could not answer. Ultimately I did not get the job, but the person I interviewed with thanked me personally for coming in.

Interview Questions
    • Asked why I wanted to work with CI - this is difficult, because I think they are looking for some passion-inspired, overarching answer to why someone would want to work for a nonprofit, specifically theirs.   View Answer

Associate Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Conservation International in July 2008.

Applied for job and got an email back requesting a phone interview. We had the standard questions - why are you interested in this job, your work experience, etc.. This phone interview was only with one person - the coordinator of the team that I would be working with. That was successful and they asked me in for a second, in person panel interview, which consisted of the core members of the team. Pretty relaxed - it seemed like the second interview was mostly for finding out about my personality, interacting with me in person, and seeing my body language in addition to my answers for the interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in conservation (my experience did not show any conservation interests or background)?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate for a minimally higher salary but I shot myself in the foot because I made it very clear that I was going to be taking this job even if they did not increase the salary. Also only had one round of negotiations - felt like I could have negotiated harder. Negotiations also probably depend on the time of year - if it's early or late in the fiscal year (June), then you can probably negotiate better because they're either developing the budget or they have a full pot to work from.

Field Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Conservation International.

Online application, email response, individual interview by phone, panel interview by skype. Very enjoyable discussions with several managers and directors to learn about their objectives and convey how my experience relates

Interview Questions
    Offer, counteroffer, finalization. Very amicable throughout.