Consumers Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Royal Oak, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in May 2012.

Interview Details – Several steps in process. First 3 online tests. After the tests you are invited in to there office for additional computer based testing for keyboarding skills, customer service handling skills and logic type skill questions. If you pass all of that then you go for a face to face interview. At that interview its a pretty typical interview they also let you know its a sales job as well as a customer service job which was no issue for me. They ask you to off the top of your head sell a product of which they let you examine for a minute.

If you pass all of that they have you go for a drug test not just a urine test but the hair sample and everything. once that is done they set up your training of which you either have to commute or they will put you up in Lansing where the training is located for 8 weeks. You must pass certification tests at 100 percent 2 chances or you are immediately released. After that after passing all tests and then passing certification by your instructor you are sent out to you new office as a probationary employee. Which means you work all holidays if you make an error whether as a new employee you know it or not you get a warning and then on the second time you get walked out. Also if your call times and sales are not in line you get walked out.

Interview Question – sell this product in one minute which was a co detector   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary and benefits are what they are no negoation

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interview Details – Online application through company web site. No option to mail in paper resumes.
In-person interview with manager & 2 co-workers at the Jackson office. Single interview, followed by a brief tour of the department & workplace.
About a month to hear back with an offer. People who are not the first choice often have to wait longer.
After offer accepted, about 3 weeks before able to start. The company likes to hire people at the start of accounting quarters, or at the start of pay periods.

Interview Question – Equal mix of technical questions (what's the SQL command to yadda) and personality questions (How would you deal with an unreasonable user request ).
Fairly straight forward interview.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. HR tells you (and your new manager) what pay grade you're going to get. Take it or leave it.

Employee Development Consultant Interview

Employee Development Consultant
Jackson, MI

I applied in-person and interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interview Details – Basic interview process, be aware of your ability and comfort training leadership training, know the SAM and ADDIE model and understand what you bring to the company.You may be required to have a phone screen first with HR,

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotate.

Call Center Representative Interview

Call Center Representative
Saginaw, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in May 2014.

Interview Details – Communication is good through the whole process and there are a lot of o line assessments, in person testing, phone interview and finally an in person interview. Overall a lengthy process.

Interview Question – When did your morals and company values not match and what did you do?   Answer Question

Human Resources Consultant Interview

Human Resources Consultant

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interview Details – Interviews are behavioral based questions with some cultural fit and technical questions. Most hiring managers do at least two rounds of interviews and panel interviews.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you changed the outcome of a key strategic initiative.   Answer Question

Resource Planning Engineer Interview

Resource Planning Engineer
Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in December 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online at the Consumers Energy website in early November 2013. Two weeks later I was contacted and we scheduled a phone screening interview for later in that week.

The phone interview was with two staff engineers and was about an hour long. A lot of the questions were behavioral (What would you do in this situation) or asking to give specific examples of past experience pertaining to responsibilities of the job. Immediately after we finished, I received an email inviting to come in for an in-person interview. I agreed and they scheduled me to come in 2.5 weeks later.

The in-person interview was performed by four people (the two staff engineers, an HR rep and a director of a relevant department). The interview was 1.5 hours long and the questions were similar in nature to those asked over the phone.

A month after the in-person interview, they emailed me and asked to have another brief phone interview. Again, I spoke with the two staff engineers and answered only a couple questions about why I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Other than Microsoft Excel, give an example of computer software that you have used in the past for analyzing data.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Jackson, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in March 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call for a phone interview about a month after submitting my resume. I was asked basic behavioral questions. There were about 4 people in a conference that were apart of my interview. My interview was only about 10 minutes. There weren't any curveball questions. Always ask them questions! I heard back from them about a week later with an offer. A drug test and background check was administered before I was officially hired.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The offer was based off your class level.

Engineering Entry Program Interview

Engineering Entry Program
Jackson, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – On-campus interview and on-site interview. On-campus was really basic 'screening' interview. It took a long time before I was called to an on-site interview.

On-site was with one other candidate and was at the company headquarters. 2 different interviews (2 on 1). All the interviewers were engineers. No oddball, hard questions. It seemed like they were mostly concerned with the way you approach and solve problems as well as multitask. A lot of questions about how you approach situations or problems.

The headquarters is in the middle of nowhere.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine what to do first in a given day?   Answer Question
  • You have 2 classes, how do you decide which one to study for first with exams coming up on both of them?   Answer Question

Digital Experience Designer Interview

Digital Experience Designer
Midland, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews for this position within Consumers Learning & Development department. First was in Midland, with 3 people. Had to show my portfolio and talk about my design experience. Second was in Flint with 4 people, had to show portfolio and talk more about experience. Overall they were difficult interviews, with odd questions. I thought the interviews went very well, but was denied the job.

Interview Question – What would be your peak job in your graphic design career?   Answer Question

BizTalk Consultant Interview

BizTalk Consultant

Interviewed at Consumers Energy

Interview Details – Phone and In person

Interview Question – Covast   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Consumers Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consumers Energy interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Consumers Energy employees and interview candidates.