Consumers Energy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.2

Any Exempt Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Predictable, no real surprises experienced. A lot of people apply for open positions. Be sure to check every possible qualification on the online application. Often candidates names don't even make it to the hiring managers desk due to the computer screening the apps. for specific qualifications. Check even the basic ones, word, excel, power point, etc..

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected: Why would you be the best candidate for this position?   View Answer
    Salary level was a little negotiable, vacation time was negotiable up to 4 weeks to start if previous professional.

Cooperative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Talked to Consumers during university recruiting last fall and did not receive in interview. After networking with the company at several events and the career gallery in the Spring I got an interview. The people were very friendly and are very people oriented. There were two people interviewing and it took about a month after my interview to get an offer from the company so do not get discouraged too quickly if you don't hear back right away!

I did not negotiate

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Consumers Energy in October 2014.

After the campus career fair, I got the interview confirmation. And the interview is 2:1, both of the interviewers are from the technique group. All questions are behavioral questions, such as why are you choose your current major? why are you choose our company? And some location questions and some about your life such as your hobby.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Worked as a contractor prior to being interviewed for position. Was referred for an open position by a current employee. Interview seemed very straightforward. Panel was willing to let you speak your mind as a current contractor on the pros/cons of being a contractor within the company. And took into consideration the time as a contractor as being a 'regular' employee.... which is very unusual.

I did not negotiate. Happy to be offered the position

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Pretty straight forward. Not a lot of technical questions more problem solving questions like "If you are in a building and unable to leave how can you tell the temperature outside?"

Interview Questions
    Not to much of a negotiation because im an intern without much experience

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Online application through company web site. No option to mail in paper resumes.
    In-person interview with manager & 2 co-workers at the Jackson office. Single interview, followed by a brief tour of the department & workplace.
    About a month to hear back with an offer. People who are not the first choice often have to wait longer.
    After offer accepted, about 3 weeks before able to start. The company likes to hire people at the start of accounting quarters, or at the start of pay periods.

Interview Questions
    • Equal mix of technical questions (what's the SQL command to yadda) and personality questions (How would you deal with an unreasonable user request ).
      Fairly straight forward interview.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. HR tells you (and your new manager) what pay grade you're going to get. Take it or leave it.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Oak, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Oak, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy in July 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn at the end of May. I was contacted within a week to take 3 different online assessments over the next month . A personality test an IQ and math test and a customer service simulation with a typing test, where you would help customers make appointments and data entry. I was then emailed that I passed and needed to come in to take more assessments. There was 20 or so other people also their to take the test. The test was the same type of questions as the IQ test (logic, which word doesn't fit with rest, math, etc.) But more questions and more time. After the test was over, everyone but four people including myself was told to step out I'm the hallway. He closed the door and informed the 4 of us that we had passed. We set up a time to be called within the next two days for our phone interview. The phone interview explained the position and informed me that the drug test was urine and hair. The questionsecond were similar to name a time when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker. I received an email I passed and needed to come in for the panel interview within a week and half. 3 people took turn asking questions and writing down your answers. I was offered the position the following week contingent upon background and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you didn't agree with company policy. What is your weakness? How do you deal with difficult customers? Is there anything in your life that would prevent you from being available at all hours? What made you apply for this position?   View Answer
    Non negotiable. Union position with benefits.

Employee Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied in-person – interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Basic interview process, be aware of your ability and comfort training leadership training, know the SAM and ADDIE model and understand what you bring to the company.You may be required to have a phone screen first with HR,

I didn't negotate.

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy in May 2014.

Communication is good through the whole process and there are a lot of o line assessments, in person testing, phone interview and finally an in person interview. Overall a lengthy process.

Interview Questions
    • When did your morals and company values not match and what did you do?   Answer Question

Human Resources Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interviews are behavioral based questions with some cultural fit and technical questions. Most hiring managers do at least two rounds of interviews and panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you changed the outcome of a key strategic initiative.   Answer Question