Consumers Energy

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Worked as a contractor prior to being interviewed for position. Was referred for an open position by a current employee. Interview seemed very straightforward. Panel was willing to let you speak your mind as a current contractor on the pros/cons of being a contractor within the company. And took into consideration the time as a contractor as being a 'regular' employee.... which is very unusual.

I did not negotiate. Happy to be offered the position

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy.

Online application through company web site. No option to mail in paper resumes.
    In-person interview with manager & 2 co-workers at the Jackson office. Single interview, followed by a brief tour of the department & workplace.
    About a month to hear back with an offer. People who are not the first choice often have to wait longer.
    After offer accepted, about 3 weeks before able to start. The company likes to hire people at the start of accounting quarters, or at the start of pay periods.

Interview Questions
    • Equal mix of technical questions (what's the SQL command to yadda) and personality questions (How would you deal with an unreasonable user request ).
      Fairly straight forward interview.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. HR tells you (and your new manager) what pay grade you're going to get. Take it or leave it.

Employee Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied in-person – interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Basic interview process, be aware of your ability and comfort training leadership training, know the SAM and ADDIE model and understand what you bring to the company.You may be required to have a phone screen first with HR,

I didn't negotate.

Resource Planning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy in December 2013.

I initially applied online at the Consumers Energy website in early November 2013. Two weeks later I was contacted and we scheduled a phone screening interview for later in that week.

The phone interview was with two staff engineers and was about an hour long. A lot of the questions were behavioral (What would you do in this situation) or asking to give specific examples of past experience pertaining to responsibilities of the job. Immediately after we finished, I received an email inviting to come in for an in-person interview. I agreed and they scheduled me to come in 2.5 weeks later.

The in-person interview was performed by four people (the two staff engineers, an HR rep and a director of a relevant department). The interview was 1.5 hours long and the questions were similar in nature to those asked over the phone.

A month after the in-person interview, they emailed me and asked to have another brief phone interview. Again, I spoke with the two staff engineers and answered only a couple questions about why I wanted the job.

Interview Questions
    • Other than Microsoft Excel, give an example of computer software that you have used in the past for analyzing data.   Answer Question

Engineering Entry Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy in October 2013.

On-campus interview and on-site interview. On-campus was really basic 'screening' interview. It took a long time before I was called to an on-site interview.

On-site was with one other candidate and was at the company headquarters. 2 different interviews (2 on 1). All the interviewers were engineers. No oddball, hard questions. It seemed like they were mostly concerned with the way you approach and solve problems as well as multitask. A lot of questions about how you approach situations or problems.

The headquarters is in the middle of nowhere.

Interview Questions
    • How do you determine what to do first in a given day?   Answer Question
    • You have 2 classes, how do you decide which one to study for first with exams coming up on both of them?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Consumers Energy in March 2013.

I received a call for a phone interview about a month after submitting my resume. I was asked basic behavioral questions. There were about 4 people in a conference that were apart of my interview. My interview was only about 10 minutes. There weren't any curveball questions. Always ask them questions! I heard back from them about a week later with an offer. A drug test and background check was administered before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. The offer was based off your class level.

Applications Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Consumers Energy in April 2012.

Consisted of single phone interview with two team leads; basic questions such as "What projects have you worked on outside of class?"

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Received email next day regarding internship offer, pay, and starting date.

Financial Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Consumers Energy in May 2009.

Only one interview before receiving an offer.

I used a recruiter