Consumers Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interview Details – Online application through company web site. No option to mail in paper resumes.
In-person interview with manager & 2 co-workers at the Jackson office. Single interview, followed by a brief tour of the department & workplace.
About a month to hear back with an offer. People who are not the first choice often have to wait longer.
After offer accepted, about 3 weeks before able to start. The company likes to hire people at the start of accounting quarters, or at the start of pay periods.

Interview Question – Equal mix of technical questions (what's the SQL command to yadda) and personality questions (How would you deal with an unreasonable user request ).
Fairly straight forward interview.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. HR tells you (and your new manager) what pay grade you're going to get. Take it or leave it.

Employee Development Consultant Interview

Employee Development Consultant
Jackson, MI

I applied in-person and interviewed at Consumers Energy.

Interview Details – Basic interview process, be aware of your ability and comfort training leadership training, know the SAM and ADDIE model and understand what you bring to the company.You may be required to have a phone screen first with HR,

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotate.

Resource Planning Engineer Interview

Resource Planning Engineer
Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in December 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online at the Consumers Energy website in early November 2013. Two weeks later I was contacted and we scheduled a phone screening interview for later in that week.

The phone interview was with two staff engineers and was about an hour long. A lot of the questions were behavioral (What would you do in this situation) or asking to give specific examples of past experience pertaining to responsibilities of the job. Immediately after we finished, I received an email inviting to come in for an in-person interview. I agreed and they scheduled me to come in 2.5 weeks later.

The in-person interview was performed by four people (the two staff engineers, an HR rep and a director of a relevant department). The interview was 1.5 hours long and the questions were similar in nature to those asked over the phone.

A month after the in-person interview, they emailed me and asked to have another brief phone interview. Again, I spoke with the two staff engineers and answered only a couple questions about why I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Other than Microsoft Excel, give an example of computer software that you have used in the past for analyzing data.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Jackson, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in March 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call for a phone interview about a month after submitting my resume. I was asked basic behavioral questions. There were about 4 people in a conference that were apart of my interview. My interview was only about 10 minutes. There weren't any curveball questions. Always ask them questions! I heard back from them about a week later with an offer. A drug test and background check was administered before I was officially hired.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The offer was based off your class level.

Engineering Entry Program Interview

Engineering Entry Program
Jackson, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Consumers Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – On-campus interview and on-site interview. On-campus was really basic 'screening' interview. It took a long time before I was called to an on-site interview.

On-site was with one other candidate and was at the company headquarters. 2 different interviews (2 on 1). All the interviewers were engineers. No oddball, hard questions. It seemed like they were mostly concerned with the way you approach and solve problems as well as multitask. A lot of questions about how you approach situations or problems.

The headquarters is in the middle of nowhere.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine what to do first in a given day?   Answer Question
  • You have 2 classes, how do you decide which one to study for first with exams coming up on both of them?   Answer Question

Financial Accounting Analyst Interview

Financial Accounting Analyst
Jackson, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Consumers Energy in May 2009.

Interview Details – Only one interview before receiving an offer.

Negotiation Details – I used a recruiter

Applications Development Intern Interview

Applications Development Intern
Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Consumers Energy in April 2012.

Interview Details – Consisted of single phone interview with two team leads; basic questions such as "What projects have you worked on outside of class?"

Interview Question – How would you handle conflicting code specs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Received email next day regarding internship offer, pay, and starting date.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Consumers Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consumers Energy interview questions and advice in Jackson, MI. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Consumers Energy employees and interview candidates.