Container Store Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.5

Prime Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

Phone Interview, Group Interview, Personal Interview
    I loved the process and it allows you to be seen in every scenario. It was interesting in the group interview to see people react to a question. I would love this method as a hiring manager. It gives a true view into how people deal with the public/strangers.
    If you can’t be nice in a group interview, how would you react one on one with a customer?

Interview Questions

• Pick your favorite product from the store and why.
      Allows you to show how well you can sell the product.

Answer Question

Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store (Tampa, FL).

Interview

I applied on their website, the next day I received an email asking me to RSVP for an interview the following week. I was supposed to figure out an area in my home that needed organizing, and find a TCS item I would use to organize that area. This item would be presented at the interview. When I arrived at the interview (at 7am!!!), I was directed to an area with a (half) circle of chairs and a TV. I was given a name tag, and sat down. There were 15 of us, we were asked to introduce ourselves, and for the most part, everyone was given an opportunity to answer each question.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Container Store in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and (the same evening) received an email for an interview with a few dates prompting me to confirm which day I wanted to meet. The email also instructed me to find an area in my home that may need organizing and a product that would help. I picked the soonest date and arrived prepared to explain the item that I could use to organize at home. There was about eight other people at the group interview. The "interview" consisted of watching a few informative videos about the company and the manager explaining more details about the position+ company. The ad I applied to was for FT/PT Retail Sales/visual Merchandiser. She explained that they were only hiring for part time merchandising positions which consisted mostly of breaking down boxes and getting new product on the sales floor. I found the panel to be quite awkward; seating a panel of strangers in a semi-circle and having them each answer the same question was..different . It wasn't so painful though, it lasted about an hr and a half, most of that time being consumed by videos. I did however feel tinges of nervousness, desperation and awkwardness in the air like any normal interview except this time x8. Towards the end we each filled out a sheet with our availability which was supposed to be a determining factor on candidacy.

I left the interview feeling unsure but to my surprise received a call about 4 days later for an interview the following day. I arrived and met with another manager who seemed quite nice. He asked me a number of relevant questions about why I chose the Container Store and my work ethic/history but he also kept pressing me about my "passion" and the future of my career. My work experience was relevant to the position so I'm unsure about his angle but it was like my answer just wasn't good enough for him personally and he wanted me to say something else. Lol. Maybe that was just him trying to get to know me but I got the impression that he was judging me beyond a professional level. He explained the next steps; drug test, background check, etc. Long story long, I didn't get the job. A few days later I received a rejection email. Although I am sinking further in my unemployment depression, I really appreciate how fast the experience was. They were very good with letting you know the next steps.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the container store? (How do you fit in?)
      What would your former employer say negatively about you?
      What would you like to be in the future?
      What is your passion/hobbies?

Answer Question

Visual Sales - Part Time Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

They want to make sure the best people out there are hired. TCS is pretty on top of the process, and only took about 3 weeks for it to be completed in my case. There is an email sent out for the group interview, and then a one on one interview after that. Everyone I met was super nice, and they just wanted you to be energetic and excited about the company!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Received a phone call a couple days after the one on one interview. Very kind and accepted offer on the spot.

Interview

One interview, went well and the communication an expectations are pretty laid out on the first visit. A lot of energy and positive vibes. Interview held on the sales floor.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Container Store.

Interview

The first interview was very informative and very relaxed. Felt very comfortable in the process and learned more about the company and mandatory job duties. Saw a few videos about the company and their culture and values and effort into taking care of the person/employee. Every one seemed happy and the environment was friendly and fun. Had my questions answered without having to ask them. The second interview was also very relaxed and actually fun. They were very interested in learning about me and my motivations. Again, I enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• What other jobs have you applied for?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with DM. The whole interview was very strange. I spent most of the time listening to the DM talk about her career with the company. A good deal of bragging. I had to look for areas to try to turn the conversation into an "interview". The only thing left to do was to compliment her on her achievements.

Prime Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

First interview is a Group Interview. They show you a video about The Container Store and then ask a series of questions such as, what is your favorite product and why? They also ask you questions regarding the video and you basically regurgitate information. The key is to show initiative and be positive.

Second interview was very short. Basically asked me what my schedule was, and lasted 5 minutes. I got the job offer right away. After you pass background check and drug test you enter Foundation Training which last 3 weeks. You get trained to work in all the areas of the store, which was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product? What did you like about the video?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

Interview consists of a phone and two in person interviews. The phone one is a breeze so long as you don't 'go through the motions' and show a little personality (taste, not a meal). The first is a group interview where you discuss what your favorite TCS product is and why, as well as the usual prompts of why you want to work for the company and how you think it might aid you. The other is a one on one that is far more personal and will delve into your personal history of employment, as well as what your other ambitions and prospects for the future might be.

Interview Questions

• Did you have any questions for us? (Don't let it throw you, prepare something good and unexpected to separate yourself from the pack)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a call with a salary offer and start date.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store.

Interview

I think their interview process is strange. You and ten other people are in a room and have to answer questions and make a presentation on one of their products; it is very competitive; every one is trying to out do the previous candidates and it is uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Not any particularly difficult questions, but making a presentation in front of everyone is a bit off putting.   Answer Question

I feel that they are phony.