Container Store Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Container Store (Schaumburg, IL).

Interview

Fill out the application online, and they call you in for a group interview. The group interview will include homework as preparation, so make sure you do the work. They want to know that your passionate and that you're a 1 equals 3 employee. Meaning, one of you is equivalent to three average employees, productivity-wise as well. READ THE FOUNDATION PRINCIPLES on the website. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• Out of all the products in our store, what would you choose as your complete solution and why?   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

The group interview was a very informative session with other people who have applied to the same position. There was no sense of competitiveness everyone was all around just being themselves and just answering the questions as comfortably as possible. Watched a few videos on the companies principles and learned a lot of information about the store regarding how they treat their employees and customers. Overall easy going interview just go in there and be yourself.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about the store and why would you want to work for them?   Answer Question

Part Time Visual Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Container Store (Westminster, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Similar experience as everyone else, however this was my second attempt at applying because of how badly I wanted to work here. Applied online, got an email back the following day saying they'd like for me to join them for a group interview a month from now. Fast forward to the group interview, interview was a good experience. Two people didn't show up out of the 7 that they were expecting so I was hoping my odds were higher. All sat in a semi-circle in the middle of the store around a TV so we could all watch and respond to the videos being shown. Watch the videos on their website to get a head start and think about what important things you took from them. After watching the videos, going over the homework assignment (listed in the interview questions), and answering any other questions we had she asked us to fill out a form to specify our available times. That was it from the group interview, she said she would contact us within a week letting us know whether or not we are moving on the the individual interview. About a week later on the dot, I received yet another vague email saying they are moving on with other candidates. Negative experience because of the time I wasted trying to get this dream job. Wish they would clarify what their qualifications were because based on what they were requesting, I met all the requirements.

Interview Questions

• "To prepare for the group interview please think of an area in your home where you have an organizational challenge. Then, go online to containerstore.com, and find a product that will help organize that area. Print the page, or save it to your mobile device, and bring it to the group interview. We’ll ask everyone to share their findings during the group interview session." Watch videos. What importance did you take away from this video? ie. what did you like, repeat what video says and say how amazing their company and business methods are.   Answer Question

Prime Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

Phone Interview, Group Interview, Personal Interview I loved the process and it allows you to be seen in every scenario. It was interesting in the group interview to see people react to a question. I would love this method as a hiring manager. It gives a true view into how people deal with the public/strangers. If you can’t be nice in a group interview, how would you react one on one with a customer?

Interview Questions

• Pick your favorite product from the store and why. Allows you to show how well you can sell the product.   Answer Question

Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store (Tampa, FL).

Interview

I applied on their website, the next day I received an email asking me to RSVP for an interview the following week. I was supposed to figure out an area in my home that needed organizing, and find a TCS item I would use to organize that area. This item would be presented at the interview. When I arrived at the interview (at 7am!!!), I was directed to an area with a (half) circle of chairs and a TV. I was given a name tag, and sat down. There were 15 of us, we were asked to introduce ourselves, and for the most part, everyone was given an opportunity to answer each question.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Container Store in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and (the same evening) received an email for an interview with a few dates prompting me to confirm which day I wanted to meet. The email also instructed me to find an area in my home that may need organizing and a product that would help. I picked the soonest date and arrived prepared to explain the item that I could use to organize at home. There was about eight other people at the group interview. The "interview" consisted of watching a few informative videos about the company and the manager explaining more details about the position+ company. The ad I applied to was for FT/PT Retail Sales/visual Merchandiser. She explained that they were only hiring for part time merchandising positions which consisted mostly of breaking down boxes and getting new product on the sales floor. I found the panel to be quite awkward; seating a panel of strangers in a semi-circle and having them each answer the same question was..different . It wasn't so painful though, it lasted about an hr and a half, most of that time being consumed by videos. I did however feel tinges of nervousness, desperation and awkwardness in the air like any normal interview except this time x8. Towards the end we each filled out a sheet with our availability which was supposed to be a determining factor on candidacy. I left the interview feeling unsure but to my surprise received a call about 4 days later for an interview the following day. I arrived and met with another manager who seemed quite nice. He asked me a number of relevant questions about why I chose the Container Store and my work ethic/history but he also kept pressing me about my "passion" and the future of my career. My work experience was relevant to the position so I'm unsure about his angle but it was like my answer just wasn't good enough for him personally and he wanted me to say something else. Lol. Maybe that was just him trying to get to know me but I got the impression that he was judging me beyond a professional level. He explained the next steps; drug test, background check, etc. Long story long, I didn't get the job. A few days later I received a rejection email. Although I am sinking further in my unemployment depression, I really appreciate how fast the experience was. They were very good with letting you know the next steps.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the container store? (How do you fit in?) What would your former employer say negatively about you? What would you like to be in the future? What is your passion/hobbies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a very straight foward group interview setting. A take home assignment was assigned and was to be brought in to show and tell. Everyone was given opportunities to speak. They showed us videos and we were prompt to answer the interviewers questions about them.everyone was given equal time to speak. The whole process took about an hourr and thirty minutes.

Visual Sales - Part Time Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview

They want to make sure the best people out there are hired. TCS is pretty on top of the process, and only took about 3 weeks for it to be completed in my case. There is an email sent out for the group interview, and then a one on one interview after that. Everyone I met was super nice, and they just wanted you to be energetic and excited about the company!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Received a phone call a couple days after the one on one interview. Very kind and accepted offer on the spot.

Overnight Merchandise Processing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store (New York, NY).

Interview

Group Interview... is the first step. They don't necessarly pick the person who speaks the most, it's the value of the answer you give. Don't just repeat things, say it and mean it... and don't seem too eager, they know when you are lying... lol... or making things up.

Interview Questions

• What product do you like about our store.   1 Answer

Interview

One interview, went well and the communication an expectations are pretty laid out on the first visit. A lot of energy and positive vibes. Interview held on the sales floor.