Container Store Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.5

Full Time Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store.

Expect to go through 3-4 interviews before being considered for even part-time, 5-6 for full-time. Group interview first, then a series of 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 interviews. Full-time will interview with regional supervisors. Expectations are for completely open availability including nights, weekends, early mornings (5 or 6am), and occasional overnights.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotiation, take it or leave it.

Part-Time Sales/Visual Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

It was a two-part interview process. The first part involved a group interview where you watched videos about the company culture/expectations and participated in discussions about it and what you learned from the videos. You were also asked to make a presentation about how one of their products can help organize an area of your home. The second part of the interview was a one-on-one interview that took place a week later. It was brief and I was asked questions such as tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, and how my job experience so far would tie into working at the store. It was very laid-back and casual; it also helped that the manager who interviewed me was amazing and friendly. Last word of advice would be to show passionate you are about the store, its products, and its mission--study the foundation principles!!!

no negotiation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coppell, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

The team of three or so people interviewing a group of us were very warm and comfortable to speak with. They created a fun environment for the group. Not a stuffy interview process at all.

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with challenging customers. Your own organization difficulties in your own life.   Answer Question

Product Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coppell, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Container Store in September 2014.

I applied for the position at The Container Store headquarters office in Coppell, Texas. 10 days after I applied, I received a call from a hiring manager who said she would like to talk with me more about the position. I was thrilled. She then proceeded to tell me she was only hiring part-time positions. I told ***** that I could not accept a part time position. Sadly, I live 45 minutes from Coppell. For a full time job, I would have gladly driven that distance everyday to work for such a great company.
    Today, I received an email from HR telling me that I was not being considered for the position.
    The job posting I applied to, reads, "Full and part time positions". I feel misled.
    I'm saddened. I really wanted to work for The Container Store.

Prime Time Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

There were multiple interviews - a phone, group, and 1:1 interview. They were looking for genuinely "nice" people that were customer service oriented, and that would add to the positive environment. They focused on a lot of service questions, and they focused on the company principles and situational questions about how you personally had and would apply them in different situations.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the questions, but they were pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store in August 2014.

Applied online, was invited to the infamous group interview. Everyone has to stand up and introduce themselves and say why they want to work at CS. There were 20 ppl at my interview and I was 17th in line, so I was scraping the barrel to say something different. Watched videos and then it was Lord of the Flies time trying to comment on what we got from them - frankly not a lot, they were very rah rah we are awesome. I didn't shoot my hand up to say how impressed I was and that worked against me. Lots of people talked about how OCD they are and they were VERY excited to be there. I disliked the format and was even more unimpressed when they told us they have 45 part time employees on the books and one opening coming up in September, there were 20 of us there so you do the math. I left feeling like they kind of wasted my time.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

I had very similar experiences that others have written about. Filled out the online application, had a group interview and personal interview. The entire process lasted about 6 weeks. At the end, I was told they weren't hiring, even though, at the group interview, we were told they were looking for a few people. It was a very pleasant experience. I really felt they wanted to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • What did you get out of the movie? (One of there promos)   View Answer

Part Time Visual Sales Interview

Apply online, group interview, company's foundation principles explained, video telling about company, group interaction, role play to portray your people skills and selling technique, store tour. Interviewee is requested to email their impression of the interview and the company, as well as any other thoughts or questions to store manager. They then call you back for additional one-on-one interview. Passing a background check and drug test, set up and paid for by the company, are the final steps prior to employment.

Interview Questions
    • Very fun and easy going group interview. Emphasis put on being yourself and interacting.   Answer Question

Department Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Container Store in July 2014.

Initial communication was through email. Next step was phone interview - lasted a bit over 30 minutes. Next step was in person interview with three people from the department I would work in. On later date, another in-person interview with additional staff, and two others from the department I would work directly with.

Interview Questions
    • Did I consider this company as being the last stop in my career?   View Answer

Truck Unload Team Member Interview

I applied and then got an invitation by email to attend an interview for the store i applied to within a week or so. I then went into the store for a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Bring a picture of an item you might buy at this store.   Answer Question