Container Store

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.5

Prime Time Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store.

First interview is a Group Interview. They show you a video about The Container Store and then ask a series of questions such as, what is your favorite product and why? They also ask you questions regarding the video and you basically regurgitate information. The key is to show initiative and be positive.

Second interview was very short. Basically asked me what my schedule was, and lasted 5 minutes. I got the job offer right away. After you pass background check and drug test you enter Foundation Training which last 3 weeks. You get trained to work in all the areas of the store, which was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite product? What did you like about the video?   Answer Question

Store Manager - Visual Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Container Store.

I sent my application and resume in. I am an extremely qualified candidate and no one ever called me. All I got was an email saying that we are moving forward with another candidate. No call...no explanation. As a customer...given this experience...I will NEVER shop there again.

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked...isn't that weird?? Not given an opportunity to even interview...they probably had an internal candidate and posted just for appearance...not good given people are looking for jobs.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

Interview consists of a phone and two in person interviews. The phone one is a breeze so long as you don't 'go through the motions' and show a little personality (taste, not a meal). The first is a group interview where you discuss what your favorite TCS product is and why, as well as the usual prompts of why you want to work for the company and how you think it might aid you. The other is a one on one that is far more personal and will delve into your personal history of employment, as well as what your other ambitions and prospects for the future might be.

Interview Questions
    • Did you have any questions for us? (Don't let it throw you, prepare something good and unexpected to separate yourself from the pack)   Answer Question
    Got a call with a salary offer and start date.

Sales - "Visual Merchandiser" Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store.

I think their interview process is strange. You and ten other people are in a room and have to answer questions and make a presentation on one of their products; it is very competitive; every one is trying to out do the previous candidates and it is uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Not any particularly difficult questions, but making a presentation in front of everyone is a bit off putting.   Answer Question

I feel that they are phony.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Container Store.

If you know someone make sure to add them in the Employee referral box in the application , they put those people in priority.
    1st: Group Interview: be as friendly as possible, make sure to smile (Seriously you need to smile a lot) , they also really are into looks so do your hair and make up for this one (but not over the top)
    2nd: 1 on 1 interview with one of the managers

Interview Questions
    • In the group interview they ask for you to describe a product of there's, and why you chose it.
      In the personal interview they go thru your resume and just ask for you to describe the experience you had in one of your jobs.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

the interview process was very fun, casual atmosphere. walking store, talking about product is key. we also did some role playing related to the sales process. it was a great experience even made a few friends along the way. i love this store. it's where i shop and now work. i have also recruited lots of people to work here as well.

Prime Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store.

After submitting online application, I received a phone call where I was asked a few questions. Then I was set up for a group interview. I was told I would receive a follow up email, which I did. The email told me to think of an area in the house that I have an organizational challenge, go to their site, and choose a solution. During the group interview they ask you to say what you chose.

I was called a couple hours after the group interview to have a one on one with a manager. I'm waiting on the outcome.

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store in December 2014.

When I went to the interview, I didn't know what to expect - but it wasn't this. It seemed like they wanted to put you through orientation before having to pay you. It was a group setting in a circle with a TV. We watched training videos and talked about products and plans we had for them in our own home. We also spoke about customer service. Then we went home. It was an one-and-a-half hour long "interview."

Interview Questions
    • You have to do homework before you go in - get detailed information about what you want to fix in your home and how would you do so with their products. Print out the information and bring it in to talk about it.   View Answer

Visual Sales - Part Time Interview

A friend started the application and interviewing process but quickly found out that the CS was looking for something they had not posted for which confused my friend because he would not have applied for a position if he knew it was not what he was looking for. He passed my name on via email and stated that I would be following up since I was also looking for work and had excellent experience in the exact same industry working with extremely similar products.

I went in to meet the GM but the GM was out of town. Following up a week or so later, I had a very delightful conversation with the store manager who appeared to be very intrigued and interested in my resume and cover letter presentation which I brought a hard copy of. The GM even stated how impressive the presentation was and thanked me for taking the time be so professional. The GM highly encouraged me to apply and encouraged me to be patient as the interview process takes a while.

One week after applying online, I received an email declining my application stating they were "moving forward with other candidates". Yet, I am a perfect candidate for the job working with their competitor and receiving many of the CS's shoppers who want more reasonably and affordably priced products. Their clients come to me at their competing store for their needs. So, I'm a bit confused by the rejection which had absolutely no explanation. The fact they would not even offer me an interview is completely shocking. Any discrepancies discovered on the online application could easily have been resolved through proper communication. The job posting remains on their website for the exact location I applied for. Now I have to wait 90 days to re-apply?

The online application said nothing about requires availability.

Visual Sales - Part Time Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store.

Applied online which is the only way. Group interview and was told I'd be contacted within a few weeks (believe it was two). Met one on one with a full time employee to discuss more about the job/ask a few more personal questions to get a feel for my personality/ambitions. Started working fairly quickly after this process with basic training with the few others (smaller group) who were hired.

Overall a very casual, non-pressured group interview. Didn't feel like it was a competition, as everyone seemed to have a fair shot at explaining themselves, and no one seemed hostile. Managers were very friendly and facilitated discussion well.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly basic questions really. What skills I had that would suit me for retail/sales, where I saw myself in the company, if I understood what the companies vision (foundation principles) were.   Answer Question