Container Store

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Transition Team Interview

Transition Team

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Container Store in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty quick. I applied online and quickly received an email from the store manager about availability of transition team staff. Although I was looking for regular employment, it is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door. I was scheduled a time to go in to store and meet with the store manager who went over the position and expectations then was quickly emailed the requirements such as drug test and was hired pretty quickly.

Part-Time Sales/Visual Interview

Part-Time Sales/Visual
Little Rock, AR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Container Store.

Interview Details – Applied for the job and received an email inviting me to a group interview on a Sunday morning. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they assigned me homework to get online and print out what my favorite product of the store was. The group consisted of about 10 other people going for the same positions. Some were there for full-time and some for just part-time. After the group interview, I was invited back for a one on one interview with the store manager. We just discussed what I currently do for my full-time job, and mainly it just felt like a time of getting to know one another. The culture/environment is very laid back and fun, while also getting down to business. That's how the interview process went, but I really believe that they're very interested in the way that you present yourself, your genuineness, and how you will help/treat customers.

Interview Question – They asked what my biggest struggle was in my career journey, which I kind of expected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Part-Time Sales/Visual Interview

Part-Time Sales/Visual
Natick, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Container Store in February 2014.

Interview Details – Uploaded resume via website and was invited within a week for a group interview. From talking to the store manager, I gather that they conduct group interviews every so often when they are looking to hire a bunch of new employees. The idea here appears to be that from a training perspective, it's more cost effective AND efficient to train several people all at once. After the group interview, I sent a thank you email and was told that the regional manager had emailed me to invite me back for a one-on-one interview. He hadn't done that, so I reached out to him and he set up a 45-minute interview with the store manager within a few days. I was interviewed at the end of a hiring cycle, so things moved very quickly for me.

Both interviews were very comfortable and pleasant. The group interview took place in the middle of the store on bungee chairs. All the candidates were super upbeat, enthusiastic and extroverted, so it was hard to get a word in edgewise! The questions were fairly predictable (who are you, and what brings you here today), and included viewing and responding to various videos we were shown. And we were asked to prepare an organizing solution and bring that. Not a big deal; just printing out a product page and talking about the challenge you are trying to organize in your home.

Seems like it'll be a great place to work. They provide a lot of training, and I like the idea that I'll likely be starting with a number of other new people. No fun being the only new girl.

Interview Question – At the end of the group interview, we were asked to fill out a schedule with our availability for the next three months, so be prepared with that in advance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the number I put in their online application ("desired salary"). I will get $12/hour, and wish I had put a higher number. I didn't negotiate. I was told this is the middle of the range, for whatever that's worth.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Container Store

Interview Details – It is to weed out people who are not capable of smiling the majority of the time and are not selling friendly. That's it.

Interview Question – There is not one. A very dumbed down interview.   View Answer

Visual Sales - Part Time Interview

Visual Sales - Part Time
White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Container Store in November 2013.

Interview Details – Three rounds: first was group interview with about 6 other applicants and a manager. Be prepared to know generally about products sold at the Container Store, and be enthusiastic about the opportunity to work there. Second round was one and one with a store manager, typical interview questions including past experience and why you want to work at TCS. Third round was a final interview with the general manager, questions pretty standard and similar to the second round.

Interview Question – How would you approach a customer?   View Answer

Prime Time Sales Associate Interview

Prime Time Sales Associate
Paramus, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Container Store.

Interview Details – Very long interview process, but well worth it. They know they're getting good people, and you know you'll be working with good people. Fill out application on line. Wait for email that they are considering you. Phone interview with a manager. Group interview with another manager. One on one interview with another manager. Phew!

Interview Question – Just be honest. No difficult or unexpected questions. They just want to get to know you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate anything but hours. You WILL work weekends.

Part Time Interview

Part Time
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Container Store in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to The Container Store over a month ago, after getting a referral from a current employee. I got invited to a group interview about two to three weeks after applying for a store position. The group interview was very upbeat and casual, as it involved discussing about the quality of the products and services that the company has to offer. I recently got invited for a 1-on-1 interview.

Negotiation Details – Looking forward to negotiation

Prime Time Sales Interview

Prime Time Sales

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Container Store.

Interview Details – The application was very organized and smooth. Applied for the position online and received a follow up e-mail within a week or so with an invitation to a group interview within 2-3 weeks. After the group interview, one of the recruiters followed up shortly with a request for a personal interview. Within the same week, I was notified I received the position and went in for pre-employment screening. Communication was very easy and the recruitment team was very thorough with what was expected of you at the group interview, although it was not very tense or stressful.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected - just different than other group interviews. Instead of asking, "Why do you think you'll benefit this team?," they ask questions specific to their products and evaluate how you deal with them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was very simple as The Container Store's minimum starting wage is much higher than other retailers. There was no need to negotiate for what was already above the line.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Container Store in September 2013.

Interview Details – Before the interview they ask you to think of a way to reorganize an area of your home, which then you must present in front of the group interview. Interview questions are not hard but due to the group setting you must be able to get a turn to talk.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Unexpected was the pre interview preparation of how to reorganize an area of your home with their products. I aced this by using their products in creative ways and not sticking to only one line of products.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided it was not worth the effort.

Sales Trainer Interview

Sales Trainer

Interviewed at Container Store

Interview Details – Tight lipped about salaries, find this out before you fill out what you want to be paid because they won't pay you any more. Interview is like trying out for cheerleading.