Container Store

2.7

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Prime Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Container Store.

Very long interview process, but well worth it. They know they're getting good people, and you know you'll be working with good people. Fill out application on line. Wait for email that they are considering you. Phone interview with a manager. Group interview with another manager. One on one interview with another manager. Phew!

Interview Questions
    • Just be honest. No difficult or unexpected questions. They just want to get to know you.   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate anything but hours. You WILL work weekends.

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store in December 2013.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Group Interview - I don't remember there being an additional interview after the group interview but there very well may have been. I believe I had received a call from the store manager (who ran the group interview) telling me they would like to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • The online application is long and tedious. The Phone Interview was fairly quick with basic questions such as how many years of experience you have & why you'd like to be a part of their team. The group interview they give you an assignment and ask that you chose one product from their website and come in prepared to explain why you chose this product. The group interview consisted of maybe 6-7 other individuals.   Answer Question
    The manager had initially offered me $12.00 hourly but I had asked for $13.00 and was able to negotiate that with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Container Store in November 2013.

Three rounds: first was group interview with about 6 other applicants and a manager. Be prepared to know generally about products sold at the Container Store, and be enthusiastic about the opportunity to work there. Second round was one and one with a store manager, typical interview questions including past experience and why you want to work at TCS. Third round was a final interview with the general manager, questions pretty standard and similar to the second round.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store in September 2013.

Before the interview they ask you to think of a way to reorganize an area of your home, which then you must present in front of the group interview. Interview questions are not hard but due to the group setting you must be able to get a turn to talk.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Unexpected was the pre interview preparation of how to reorganize an area of your home with their products. I aced this by using their products in creative ways and not sticking to only one line of products.   Answer Question

Decided it was not worth the effort.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Container Store in April 2013.

They like to hold group interviews and you have to give a quick sales pitch of one of their products (less than 2 min. presentation). It's kind of like a "get to know you" scenario. It they like you, you will get called back. They seemed pretty nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Quickly describe yourself in one word.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westbury, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westbury, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store in June 2012.

The initial interview is a group interview. You bring in an object off their website and tell them why you love it. Then if you pass that part, you go to a one on one meeting. After that meeting you take a drug test. Then you're offered the position over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want to work for the container store   View Answer
    I did not negotiate wages, but you probably could.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Container Store in March 2012.

I was called and did a phone interview at first (about 5 minutes) and then was invited to a group interview (about 2 hours). The people I interviewed with were intelligent and friendly, however I got the impression that this was an "inside click" and that they already knew who they were selecting for their positions. I got called back for a one on one within 2 days, but was called back 3 weeks later to let me know that they could not offer me a position at that time. Expect a lot of "kool aid" and be very personable and outgoing. They look for people who stand out, if they haven't already selected their people in the first place.

Interview Questions
    • How have you dealt with criticism from your superiors? What did they criticise and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Prime Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Container Store in March 2012.

Phone interview followed by Group Interview followed by Individual Interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Container Store in August 2011.

The interview was more laughable than upsetting. The woman who interviewed me over the phone was an old woman and really, and I mean REALLY slow. She left me a voice message and I got back to her within the next day. While she interviewed me, I had noticed that she asked me the SAME exact questions over after another. I don't know if she was doing this as a trick to see if I would respond the same way or she doesn't realize she had asked the questions over again but at the end of the interview, it felt so weird and it was laughable, which i shouldn't have done but it was irresistible. I can't even remember any of the questions she had asked because I remembered the general experience.

Visual Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Container Store in October 2010.

My introduction to The Container Store was a breeze. I was a referral from a friend/employee. I was given a tour (BY THE GM) and then offered a job. I don't remember a formal interview process.

I transitioned smoothly from Seasonal to Transitional to Prime-Time employee. It was smooth and again, it seemed like just a mutually beneficial unspoken agreement. I became part of that family, and they became part of my life (a huge part and since).

I am now (after transferring locations) a Full-Time Leader, learning more and more everyday.

The "process" here, coming into a much larger market, was a bit treacherous at times. A lot of people are waiting for a finite number of openings. But I stayed true to whom I was, and persevered day in and out. It paid off, and then some.

The interview was quick and painless; I was asked one or two questions, that I honestly don't remember now. They were more thought questions that allowed me to speak on my contributions to the company as a Full-Time Leader and where I wanted to go with the company.