Container Store

Updated Dec 22, 2014
Updated Dec 22, 2014

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Container Store.

If you know someone make sure to add them in the Employee referral box in the application , they put those people in priority.
1st: Group Interview: be as friendly as possible, make sure to smile (Seriously you need to smile a lot) , they also really are into looks so do your hair and make up for this one (but not over the top)
2nd: 1 on 1 interview with one of the managers

Interview Questions
  • In the group interview they ask for you to describe a product of there's, and why you chose it.
    In the personal interview they go thru your resume and just ask for you to describe the experience you had in one of your jobs.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Container Store

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

the interview process was very fun, casual atmosphere. walking store, talking about product is key. we also did some role playing related to the sales process. it was a great experience even made a few friends along the way. i love this store. it's where i shop and now work. i have also recruited lots of people to work here as well.

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store in December 2014.

When I went to the interview, I didn't know what to expect - but it wasn't this. It seemed like they wanted to put you through orientation before having to pay you. It was a group setting in a circle with a TV. We watched training videos and talked about products and plans we had for them in our own home. We also spoke about customer service. Then we went home. It was an one-and-a-half hour long "interview."

Interview Questions
    • You have to do homework before you go in - get detailed information about what you want to fix in your home and how would you do so with their products. Print out the information and bring it in to talk about it.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fairview, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fairview, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store in June 2014.

After applying online, the manager emailed me within a week to set up a phone interview which was very easy. After talking for about 5 minutes over the phone the manager invited me to a group interview with about 8 other candidates. The group interview was actually pretty boring. The hiring managers showed many different training videos and asked us what we thought of them instead of actually interviewing us. The managers promised to contact us within a week but I still have not heard back.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult at all, but be prepared to interact well with the other people being interviewed.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

I applied online and submitted a resume, but not a letter of intent. They e-mailed about two weeks later for a group interview. I RSVP'd and am planning on attending it well prepared. It is next week! They also asked me to pick a favorite product (from their magazine or online) to describe for the interview panel.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store in September 2013.

Before the interview they ask you to think of a way to reorganize an area of your home, which then you must present in front of the group interview. Interview questions are not hard but due to the group setting you must be able to get a turn to talk.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Unexpected was the pre interview preparation of how to reorganize an area of your home with their products. I aced this by using their products in creative ways and not sticking to only one line of products.   Answer Question

Decided it was not worth the effort.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Container Store.

Had a phone interview, followed by two interviews with different store managers. Typical questions in an interview.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Container Store in June 2012.

I completed the online application and within the week I had a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a thirty minute conversation. First we ran through some basic info (age, school, location), then we ran through some hypothetical scenarios, and finally some general chit-chat about myself.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to take on a burden for the good of the group?   Answer Question

I ended up doing federal work study.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Container Store in April 2012.

The Container Store held a series of group interviews (for 5 full-time and 45 part-time positions) in anticipation of their first store opening in Las Vegas in mid-May. I believe they said they had received 1300+ applications to fill these 50 positions (all other positions were filled with Container Store employees and hand-picked management staff.) Over the course of several weeks they held 3-4 group interviews per day, with maybe 10-12 per session, so you do the math. I made the first cut after filling out an on-line application and was invited to one of the group interviews. It was quite the pep rally for The Container Store. There was an HR person, 3 managers from the LV store and a couple store representatives from other Container Store locations in attendance. Prior to the group interview, we were asked to bring a printed copy of a Container Store product photo and description from their website and explain to the group how it would improve our lives. We saw a video about The Container Store, learned about the corporate culture and products (for those who weren't familiar.) There was a good amount of interaction with the candidates and way too much rah, rah about the company. We were also asked to fill out a schedule of our availability for the weeks (for training) leading up to the grand opening. Anyway, I received a call back for a second interview in much less than a week (something they seemed to be quite proud of -- they would contact us either way within one week of our interview.) Second interview was with the GM of the Las Vegas store and the GM of a store in Washington State. I thought it went quite well. However, after a week and a half, I had not heard anything (at that point they were still conducting group interviews.) I called and spoke to another manager who said the GM was extremely busy and would be in touch soon. Did they call me to let me know one way or the other? No. So much for the hype. Just like any other potential employer these days. They have so much talent to choose from, end up interviewing way too many people and become overwhelmed. Things/people fall through the cracks.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any planning spaces and drafting those plans by hand?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Container Store in August 2011.

The interview was more laughable than upsetting. The woman who interviewed me over the phone was an old woman and really, and I mean REALLY slow. She left me a voice message and I got back to her within the next day. While she interviewed me, I had noticed that she asked me the SAME exact questions over after another. I don't know if she was doing this as a trick to see if I would respond the same way or she doesn't realize she had asked the questions over again but at the end of the interview, it felt so weird and it was laughable, which i shouldn't have done but it was irresistible. I can't even remember any of the questions she had asked because I remembered the general experience.