Context Optional Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Context Optional

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Context Optional in January 2012.

Was approached by in-house recruiter. First interview consisted of phone interview, which was followed by a second phone interview with another recruiter. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager, thern a personal meeting with the hiring manager and and a potential colleague.

CO uses jobvite to communicate, it can be a weird diengaged communication format. The people I met at the corporate HQ in SF were great people I liked them a lot.

The in person meeting w/ hiring manager and colleague were not easy, they were looking for Top Tier talent who could bring their A game, so the bar was set high. Everyone is very bright, and when you go to the interview be prepared with examples of deals closed in the past, show your presentation style and come in strong well prepared and correct!

Interview Questions

I was turned off by the quotas for the first 3 months of the job. "If you make 10 calls 8 of them had better convert to sales, in your first week." No joke. I thought it was unrealistic, and a set up for failure. It appeared that jobs were on the line, before a hire was even made. The hiring manager had been on board for about a week when I met him/her. I was told that he/she would be "out" if quotas for Q1 2012 were not attained. That sounded desperate to me, and joining a firm with that kind of need for revenue immediately is a red flag. I wonder if anyone I met is still there. Another factor was an aquisition by a much larger company with a competing software product during the month I was interviewing. An aquisition alone means that changes will happen.

Overall I thought it was an excellent company with good opportunities ahead. The aquisition was a big factor is me not wanting to join. Been through that before and know how it affects corporate culture.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Context Optional in August 2010.

First contact was by email asking when would be a good time to call to discuss my goals, career aspirations, etc.

Second was phone interview, talked to a recruiter about why I chose to apply for the position, talked about the company, why they were expanding to Colorado Springs, etc. Overall impression was very good, said I would talk to a technical person and if that went well they would fly me out to the headquarters in San Francisco, CA.

Third contact was a phone interview set up later that day with one of their software developers, Waynn was his name. Waynn asked me one question, "Come up with an algorithm to determine how many consecutive zero's are at the end of the factorial of a number, n." My first solution was to compute the factorial (ick) and to do integer division by 10 to compute how many 0's were at the end. He asked for complexity and if I could think of a different solution. He was very patient and helpful in prodding me in the right direction, after I came up with the fact that the powers of 5's in the factorial's computation are going to be the contributor's to the 0's at the end. I didn't feel good at the end, asked a few questions about the work life there, and I insisted on sending examples of my work. But before I could I got a "we're pursuing another candidate".

Overall, I was a bit surprised by the question and caught off guard. It was my first foray into interviewing and now I know what to expect. I would say everything was fair though, and the interviews were great to talk to and work with.

Interview Questions
    • Come up with an algorithm to determine how many consecutive zero's are at the end of the factorial of a number, n.   View Answer

Social Media Strategist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Context Optional.

Interviewers were unfriendly and belittled my experience.

Interview Questions
    • They kept using social media "buzzwords" to see if I knew them. (Weird!)   Answer Question

Worked for Context Optional? Contribute to the Community!