Contiki Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Contiki

Tour Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Contiki.

Interview

First you must fill out an online application. Once you do that, you must put together a collage that basically sells yourself to the company. They are looking for somebody who is fun, outgoing, unique, and charismatic. If they decide to get in contact with you, they will e-mail you and schedule a phone interview. If you make it to the next and final interview, they will email you and instruct you to fly to Anaheim for an in-person interview. You must fly yourself out there and pay for your own accommodation as well. They will have you prepare a small presentation of a destination for the in-person interview and will give you a knowledge test to make sure that you are at least somewhat competent. If everything goes well during the in-person interview, then they will invite you to go on a lengthy training trip with them. Keep in mind that this is not a job offer. You do not technically get the job until the end of the unpaid training trip.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. They invite you on a training trip as a tryout for the job.

Tour Manager USA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Contiki (Anaheim, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

The process was long and multi-faceted that was spread across 2 days. It involved a 10 minute presentation on an assigned topic (assigned in advance), a panel interview, group interview with 2-3 other candidates and a test on basic U.S. history and geography.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation and the job offer was contingent on successful completion of 3 week training trip.

Trip Leader/Tour Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Contiki.

Interview

brutal. apply online and if accepted you are told to make your way to london at your own expense. you have a topic issued to you and you have to prepare a 3minute presentation on said topic - making it fun and interesting as if you were presenting to a tour group on one of your tours. after your presentation you do a few more little things like get a partner and present and introduce them, it's all to see how you interact with people and how you present and stand up in front of a group of people. whether you are nervous etc. how you present facts such as their age and where they are from - in a fun way or boring. how you retain information etc. then once this is all completed you leave the place. they decide if they ask you back for a second interview or not. you'll get the phone call that day. if you are invited back for a second interview - this is you alone with a panel of 2 or 3 contiki recruiters. they literally grill you - asking you questions about your life and everything, they put you under pressure trying to pry and make you feel uncomfortable. they aim to push your buttons and try to make you nervous and possibly get a reaction. they would like to see how you behave right down to when you get angry or confronted or under pressure. this is to see how you would react to a crazy client tour or something similar.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if one of your clients gets badly injured - for example breaks their leg during a crazy night out, at about 3am. where are you and what do you do?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Contiki (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2011.

Interview

Met the brand head who asked the standard interview question 'Tell me about yourself' and it proceeded into a really friendly chat as she inquired more about my responsibilities in my previous roles and I shared my strengths and achievements. Was called back for a second and final interview.

Interview Questions

• How can you generate 12,000 sales lead with a budget of $50,000?   1 Answer

Tour Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Contiki in January 2011.

Interview

After the online application, those who are selected for the next stage of selection have to make a presentation about a historical event/person eg Salvador Dali, a famous treaty, a battle, the London bridge etc etc. You can use really basic information (wikipedia is enough). It is important to make a clear presentation, to speak clearly and with an interesting tone, to look interesting while you speak. Those who made 'strange' presentations or improvised failed. Memorise your speech and practise it with your friends. You make this presentation in front of some people of the company and all the other applicants. It was cosy and friendly, not too serious, but be decent. They like to see alive, outgoing people. If you are succusful, you can go for the private interview (you and two interviewers). You have to show that you cannot be easily manipulated, I mean, that you are stable in what you think and people cannot drag you here and there according to what they say or want. So they might start talking about some issue and then try to change your mind or argue with you to see if you can be stable, decisive and polite at the same time. They will ask you things about your journeys and recommendations about the cities you have visited. Finally, they will describe a situation that might go wrong with a customer and ask you what you would do. For example, what if someone is lost, or is causing problems in the hotel etc. I think this is where I failed. I don't know the correct attitude after all but I guess you have to show that you can think fast, under stressful conditions, you can solve problems independently and never freak out since a whole group of people depends on you. Finally, they don't cover travel costs, but still half of the group travelled from other (close) countries (Germany, France).

Interview Questions

• What would you do if ... a customer is hurt/lost/violent etc.   1 Answer

SEM Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Contiki in September 2010.

Interview

Applied for the job through a job site. An interview was arranged fairly quickly. The office is small, start up-ish. One to one interview with the director. The company do hire hospitality students interns. May want to consider doing an internship to get a better understanding of the company.