Contra Costa County - California

Contra Costa County - California Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

2.9

Eligibility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

On the day of the interview, they require you to have 3 letter of recommendations from supervisors and/or mangers ONLY. Have your 3 list of references available. Very important to read/memorize the memorandum that is given to you as they will ask you a question about it. You will be tested on your computer skills on a timed computer test. It is a 2 person panel interview. The interview questions will be taped on the table in front of you.

Interview Questions

• What educational and experience backgrounds do you have that relates to the position? What is your opinion on the memorandum? What computer programs are you familiar with and what do you use it for?   Answer Question

Interview

Unfortunately a very slow application process. Application materials were due in July. Interview was scheduled in October. I can understand how hirings can either fall apart or stall in public sector agencies, but I thought these folks forgot about me. Maybe they did or changed their mind about me at the last minute. I show up for the interview panel and the HR receptionist reads to me from a script telling me; 1. I can't take my materials, extra resumes or notes into the room with me and that she's going to hang onto them for me, 2. the interview panelists aren't able, nor allowed to answer any questions; 3. interview panelists have never seen my resume. I'm then advised that I am scheduled to interview with two different panels because I "applied for two different open positions" (which was not true because one of the jobs I'm clearly not qualified for.) I correct the receptionist and inform her that I've only applied for one open position. After her pause and confusion, I’m given a list of the people doing the oral interview (for the one job I am qualified for) consisting of two people, and I’m asked if I know any of the people. Since I didn’t know anyone, I was told that the people interviewing me had not seen my resume and I couldn’t give them a copy either. I would have 30 minutes to answer nine questions and the interview would be recorded. As I’m checking in, another lady is hanging around, in line behind me. I thought she was another HR employee. Turns out she's another candidate waiting to check in too, and she hears MY whole conversation. So much for confidentiality. And she's an internal candidate because she is chatting up the HR receptionist I just spoke to. They clearly already know each other. Whatever. When I got into the interview room, the panelists were kind and professional and not attached to the County. They pointed me to a list of the questions that were printed out and sitting on the table and asked me to read then answer the questions in the order of my choice. (If I'm reading the questions and then speaking them into a recording device, why do I need an interview panel?) The HR receptionist forgot to take my notebook from me, so I used my notes throughout the whole panel. The other lady/probable internal candidate behind me (who showed up with nothing) saw me walk in with it. So if she didn't get the offer, she would probably have grounds for a complaint. This may all sound like sour grapes, but I can't help but think how lucky I am that I'm not attractive to an organization that acts like this.

Clerk Recorder's Services Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I filled out the online application and was contacted about one week after the application deadline was closed. An interview was scheduled for one week later. I arrived at the interview appointment and was brought upstairs to wait until it was time to be interviewed. I was given a two page copy of the job duties to read while I waited. The job description emphasized that I would be examining documents for accuracy as a primary job duty. Ironically the job description itself had an obvious typo. Assuming the two pieces of paper would be mine to keep I underlined the typo. When I was summoned for the interview I was asked to give the copies back. You have to admire the county employees for wanting to save the two or three cents by recycling the copies, but that savings would only occur if I did not get the position as they would probably let me keep a copy of my job duties if I got the job. When I returned the copies I mentioned that I assumed the copies were for me to keep and therefore I marked a typo on them. Instead of being impressed that I found a typo that they obviously overlooked, which is what someone applying for the position was supposed to be skilled at, and instead of being grateful for pointing out the error, they instead seemed agitated when I pointed out that I had discovered the error. They were very cold as I was lead to the interview room. I was seated in front of a panel of a very young Hispanic man and two young overweight white ladies. Their questions were the typical general lame questions that would be asked at a generic interview where not much thought was put into the questions. Luckily I had prepared for such general questions and I felt I had done an excellent job of answering the questions. The interviewers seemed robotic without emotion. Very serious and formal. I left the interview thinking that I could not have done a better job of answering the questions. I was no longer considered for the position after that. I can only assume it was because I ruined their copies, or because I hurt their ego by finding the typo as the reason they didn't hire me as I was well qualified for the position and I had aced the interview. I am glad I didn't go to work there. Can you imagine what a day there would be like if you were an achiever like myself?

Interview Questions

• No question was difficult. They were general or generic questions like, "What are your weaknesses?", or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?" Really lame questions.   1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

This is the most difficult part of the process one can have - the HR department is almost useless when it comes to hiring and it takes an act of God to get someone through the process.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

A joke, the neater an application is filled out (forget education) the more likely you get on the hiring list. the first 10-15 on the list are invited for panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual, they just ask a few technical questions, some about ethics and a couple scenarios, not difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negation phase, you are in class and you get paid what the Job class you applied for.

Account Clerk Advanced Level Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

Very difficult to take a county test, get on list and then finally get called for an interview.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California in May 2013.

Interview

3 months waiting; test, retest, interview, re interview with panel. last minute email at 6:30pm on a Wed evening to have background done by Friday am. Not allowed to ask about hours, shifts, perm status or why part time when advertised permanent. No feedback welcomed.

Negotiation

not given a chance to negotiate. I applied to one ad, was hired for another. The state and county think its a privilege to work for them so they promise one thing, then give another. Literally. They lied to over a hundred people about the hours and benefits and pay. They sent offer letters, with a different pay than what we applied for. When I asked why, I was literally told by the person managing the hiring project, "Welcome to County", I had already committed, was hiring with the same dept. providing unemployment reporting. Felt trapped right off.

IS Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

1. You apply through the internet. 2. Once you are selected for interview, you will receive a phone call confirming your appointment date and time. 3. Interviewer for supervisory position was the Director. 4. Questions asked: Why do you think are you suited for the job? What have you done in the past that will make you a good match for the job? What is your experience in healthcare?

Interview Questions

• if you are not offered the salary you wanted, would you still accept the position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Candidates are offered the step 1 salary and the candidate has the option to negotiate for a better rate.

Treasury Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

First of all, I have never interviewed for a government position before so I found this process a bit strange. I applied for a position online and once the closing date had passed I received an email telling me to show up at a specific date and time for an oral panel interview. No one ever called me or even asked me if this time was convenient for me. I made arrangements to be there at the time they gave me and then the day before the interview in the late afternoon, someone from HR called me and wanted to know if I could come in a couple of hours earlier. I told her no but I could come in at that time on a different day if that would help and her response was that day was the only day they could do interviews and left me at my originally scheduled time. I’m left with the impression that either you show up when they tell you to or you don’t get the interview. I show up for the interview and I’m given a list of the people doing the oral interview, three panels consisting of two people each, and I’m asked if I know any of the people. Since I didn’t know anyone I went to the next available panel – but not before I was told that the people interviewing me had not seen my resume and I couldn’t give them a copy either. I would have 30 minutes to answer seven questions and the interview would be recorded. As I’m waiting to be called in, another candidate checks in for the interview and is also asked if they know any of the six people on the panels. Well, the person knows all of them because they already work in the department! And they went ahead to be interviewed by people they knew and already worked with. Oh, and my note book was taken away from me before I was allowed to enter the interview room. I was expecting to be asked to empty my pockets and purse next to have a metal detector run over me! The interviewers introduced themselves (and came across very cold) and explained the process again and in front of me were the seven questions that I was going to be asked and the panel said they could not elaborate on them. They took turns reading the questions and waited for me to respond and took notes on my answers. Four of the seven questions were about specific knowledge about public policy/funds, investing, etc. However, this knowledge was not listed as a requirement in the job description. I did not have this specific knowledge but my interviewers wouldn’t know that because they had never seen my resume in the first place. I had to tell them that I didn’t have any knowledge and they stared at me somewhat puzzled and after that the one interview just dropped the pen and leaned back and didn’t take anymore notes. And this was only after the second question. I wonder if a person ever saw my resume or if a computer picked me? Once I found out there was an internal candidate I felt like the entire process was going to be a waste of my time and it was. It seemed like the agency was just going through the motions and getting outside candidates to make it look like the hiring process was fair when they are probably going to hire/promote from within. After all, the internal candidate is going to be able to ace all the knowledge specific questions because they already work in that same department.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience and background.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if one of your co-workers was having a difficult time meeting a deadline?   Answer Question

Summer Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Contra Costa County - California in February 2011.

Interview

I first submitted a bid on "B-Line" for Spring OCIP. I was also required to submit my resume, thus the initial screening consists only of a resume review. I am a 1L, by the way. A few weeks after, I received an email inviting me to select an interview time-slot, and to email a cover letter. At the interview I met with two attorneys and was asked several questions about my commitment to criminal defense. They asked me if I was capable of effective research in a timely manner. Most odd about this interview were questions and comments about how working in the past for a private company somehow equated to a lack of commitment to criminal defense (????). In their minds--ad it seems like in the minds of most PD's--Corporate experience--->anti-PI (public interest)-->pro criminal prosecution. Received a rejection email about 2 weeks after.

Interview Questions

• How do you consider your research skills? How fast can you conduct research?   Answer Question
    • We see you have worked for X company, how do we know you are committed to criminal defense when you have worked for a for-profit company?   1 Answer