Cooley Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

3.1

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cooley (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Interviews were relaxed and interesting, a lot more focused on feeling out what kind of person I was and giving me information about the firm rather than asking a barrage of difficult questions. No crazy mind-bending questions just normal questions about experience, work expectations, and the like

Interview Questions

• A time at which I had been criticized (if at all) at a previous job   Answer Question

Business Practice Group Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cooley (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with Chris Newman and Frank Chmielewski. They were both pleasant and gave a lot of insight into the marketing environment. Questions seemed to be focused on personality rather than contribution and achievements. During the interview it was clear that both Chris and Frank have a good rapport but unclear how the rest of the team function.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to discuss your current role and responsibilities   1 Answer

Case Assistant Interview

Interview

The process included a phone interview first and then an in-person interview with the HR manager and a partner. I'd say the in-person interview process took about 1 hour.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cooley.

Interview

I applied to the position via an employee referral, and was contacted less than a week after my resume and cover letter were passed along, at which point the recruitment manager asked for my availability for an on-site interview. Two partners, two junior associates, and one agent conducted the interviews; each one after the other. The interviews were fairly relaxed, and I got the impression that they were largely drawn to evaluating my personality and ability to communicate. I had the opportunity to ask many questions, and each of the interviewers were very forthcoming and passionate in their responses. Everyone that I had the opportunity to talk to was very bright and very enthusiastic about the firm's culture and the variety of work they perform. I left with a remarkably positive impression of the firm. The offer was made by one of the partners that I had interviewed with, they called nearly three weeks after the interview to enthusiastically extend an offer and further detail the major points of the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation situation when you had a difficult time in the workplace, and how you were able to resolve the situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, but a very generous offer.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cooley.

Interview

Got the interview through the summer OCI (on campus interviewing) process; process consists of a screening interview and then a callback interview. They were pretty quick with calling me back to tell me that I got a callback interview. My screening interviewer was a really nice guy, he definitely gave me a great impression of the firm. The interview was very conversational and there weren't any of those useless questions like, "what's your biggest weakness." The screening interview seemed to be more about making sure you were a normal person (you get lots of different types in law school lol). The callback interview was way more intensive and you definitely want to prep for that.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was to describe a legal project that you've completed before. It's a difficult question because your answer has to be well thought out, concise and show that you can describe a process in an intelligent and understandable manner.   Answer Question

Patent Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cooley (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Two onsite interviews (probably because I are currently living quite close to their New York office) First round with 6 people (2 associates, others are patent agents/technical advisors), all were very nice and friendly, no difficult questions Second time with the two partners in the group, who were not so nice. They didn't prepare the interview at all. The first partner didn't have my CV and had no idea who I already talked to before; the second partner disappeared at the time when we were supposed to meet. It took about half an hour to find him... They are looking for CS background (I'm in ME/Physics/Laser), but they didn't disclose this to me (nor did they put this in the job description) and interviewed me (dragged me to NYC twice) anyway. And they didn't want to cut me loose until one month after the interview...

Interview Questions

• 1, How did you live as a kid...? 2, What's your most recently technological reading?   Answer Question

Case Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cooley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the paralegal manager that was set up by my recruitor. Then I had a phone interview with a partner of the practice group. Both of which lasted no more than 15 minutes. Then I came in for an in-person interview, round robin style with the practice team. They were 1:1 with 2 partners, 2 associates, and a paralegal specialist. Everyone was extremely friendly. People seemed happy to be there. Ultimately I was told there was an internal candidate therefore they were unable to extend an offer. All in all it was an excellent process!

Legal Secretary Interview

Interview

3 hours, all I have to say

PR Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cooley in February 2012.

Interview

Phone call. three sit down interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What has been your most challenging feet to date?   1 Answer

A better choice came along

Attorney, 1st-Year Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cooley in September 2007.

Interview

Very fair and got to meet a lot of people you would be working with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.