Cooper Industries Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.7

Operations Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cooper Industries.

Hiring consisted of: Online tests for numerical and verbal reasoning, telephone interview with competency/experience based questions and assessment day. Assessment day consisted of: Timed general test (that you are not expected to finish, so just try your best), 2 problem solving roleplays (responding to emails on behalf of your manager who is away, I think they want you to try your best and accept all responsibility), interpretation of a business case and then presentation.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult I found was one of the problem solving roleplays which consisted of dealing with a disgruntled employee.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Human Resources Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cooper Industries.

Applied online through corporate site. Within 2 weeks I was contacted for a phone screen via email and had the phone interview 2 days later.

Very friendly.

Basic questions: Why Cooper, tell me about an ethical dilemma, what interests you about the program, what do you want to do in HR. What was your favorite/least favorite class and why?

Pretty informal, lots of opportunity to ask questions.

I asked what the ideal candidate is like and the response was: Good with numbers, innovative, and analytical.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries.

The initial phone screening was done by HR. Afterwards, HR scheduled a phone interview with the respective department manager of engineering. The entire interview lasted 40 minutes. Everything was conversational. The interview started off with two behavioral questions and move to technical / process questions. No curve ball questions.

Interview Questions
    • Standard, technical design engineering questions about your experience with CAD tools and design processes. Walk through a successful design process and give your results.   Answer Question

Commercial Leadership Program Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cooper Industries in March 2012.

The interview was very short - about 15 to 20 minutes long. They asked me a series of questions about my interests and career goals to see if I was a good fit for the position. I couldn't tell if the interview was so short that I would not be offered the job, but I received a call within the week with an offer. The fact that the interview was for an internship (which serves as a long interview for their full time leadership programs) could be the reason for the shorter length.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult or unexpected questions. Just be ready to talk about your interests and goals.   Answer Question

Commercial Leadership Internship Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries in October 2011.

Pretty basic behavioral interview and questions. The interviewer was pretty relaxed and we went on to discuss his experiences with the company, then random interests such as football, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an instance where you had a team member who was not participating, and how you got him/her to contribute   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries in September 2011.

I got the interview from the career site of my university. it was a interview given by Cooper Bussman. The interviewer mainly asked questions about my resume, and there were not many technical questions. Meanwhile, there was no behavioral questions. The interview last about 30 minutes. Other candidates should pay more attention to their resumes to make better answers to the questions.

Leadership Program Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries in February 2011.

The interview was very engaging. The questions were all behavioral based and the atmosphere was casual and nonthreatening. The main goal of the interview was to see how you handle leadership roles. Overall it was an enjoyable experience.

Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries in February 2011.

Firstly, telephone interview. Questions were mostly competency based.
    Secondly, there were a set of online tests. Not too difficult, but sometimes time was not enough to answer the last few questions. Good advise would be to practice online before you do those.
    Lastly, there was an assessment center for 1 whole day. First half of the day had IQ test, Presentation, and emails task; second half of the day had 1 to 1 interview, group work and individual problem solving situation where it was a role play between me and one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you had to work in a team. What difficulties did you have, if any? How did you manage those?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent achievement that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cooper Industries in November 2010.

First interview is a basic 1:1 interview with someone from the closest plant facility near your school
    Second interview is a phone interview with 2-3 people from HQ

Few days later you get a call from HR making you an offer. An email is sent soon after stating your pay and relocation compensation.
    Once you accept they ask you your preferences on what locations you are interested in ranking your top 3.

A few weeks before you start, your manager gives you a call and discusses what possible projects you might work on.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time when you where faced with a technical problem? How did you handle it? What where the results?   Answer Question

Graduate Rotation Program Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper Industries in September 2009.

It was an on-campus interview with an HR rep. Mostly just behavioral questions. Some questions about my resume. It only lasted about 20 minutes because of one interviewer not showing up. Topics included: leadership, likes, weaknesses, strengths, skills.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest challenge that you've ever faced?   View Answer