Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants

Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants

Tasting Room Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in September 2014.

Two interviews and I was offered the job about halfway through the 2nd interview. Both interviews were behavior based and "Give me an example of when you worked as part of a great team and what made it great." Don't be expecting a traditional interview where you talk about each previous job, why you left, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I would say just the fact that I didn't have to talk about previous jobs was unexpected.   View Answer
    They asked what I was looking for and I was offered what I asked for because it was in their average range.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants.

All 3 interviews went well and everyone I interviewed with seemed really nice. After my 3rd interview which was with the COO I was told by their secretary that I passed all the interviews and I will be getting an offer as soon as they know when the restaurant is opening for sure. She also said she will call me every week just to touch base which she never did. I called and asked her a month later how everything was coming along and she said everything was great and to not feel like I am being strung along. I said ok, just give me a call when you are ready. I called again a month later because their secretary never called again and she told me that she is sorry she hasn't called and to not feel like I am being strung along. I found this really weird so I called the area supervisor who I interviewed with and he told me to call him back in a week and he will give me some info as to when the offer is coming. I called a week later and he told me that I never made the cut. I was very confused and upset especially since their secretary told me that I passed my 3rd interview and to expect an offer soon. I then called the COO and spoke to him and explained to him what happened. He told me that he was going to research it and call me back. It has been a month and he never called. Pretty sad when there is no clear communication within the organization and nobody even cares to call me back and explain. Their restaurant concept is really cool and I was really looking forward to working for them but after this experience I guess i'm glad that I won't be there working for them.

Tasting Room Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in October 2013.

Everything looked great and very exciting, training was great, then NOOOOhelp when you get on board. The hiring was the easy part because i had the knowledge of wines to begin with, but they hired people who didnt know red wine from white wine

Interview Questions
    They told me it was set..Take it or leave it

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in July 2011.

I was referred by a friend and the interview was not a rigid as I expected. The manager was very upfront about expectations and standards, including the requirement of inviting guests into the wine club. She was honest about the hours and side work and even though so nights would be long, they would be well worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very run of the mill. I believe they are looking more for attitude and presentation than technical answers. They want someone who genuinely cares about the work they do and how it effects guest service.   Answer Question

Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in May 2011.

A very standard, average behavioral interview. Very casual setting in the middle of the restaurant. Very nice and understanding hiring manager. Position said to have very flexible hours provided the employee is a reliable worker. Emphasize any previous restaurant experience or other customer service oriented jobs. Also emphasize an optimistic company culture.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in December 2010.

They need to know your school schedule, but they ask you to give an example about how you've gone above & beyond at a project before. It is very easy to get hired here if you're smart and have a good head on your shoulders.

Interview Questions
    • There really isn't hard questions - just be truthful. They want good kids as hosts/hostess. And don't steal the pretzel bread.   Answer Question
    no negotiation - minimum wage