Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter in person. Was asked a series of questions from a list. Was set up with the AD immediately following the recruiter interview. Interview seemed to go well. I left uncertain if the AD thought it was positive or not.

Interview Questions

• What positive & negative feedback were you given in your last review?   1 Answer

Line Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Wheeling, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic questions. Did find it irritating that I interviewed with 4 different people including GM, Kitchen Manager, Head Chef and Executive Kitchen Manger. All of the noted my qualifications and told me I would promote quickly. Everyone I interviewed with liked me. I even went in for a stand-in interview to watch their processes to see if it was something I would like. That being said, this is the first job I have ever been offered but never given. My last interview was with the Executive Kitchen Manager and he told me what my pay rate would be and what shifts I would be working. He said he would call me within the next day or two with my training schedule. Shook my hand and welcomed me then nothing. Repeated calls to GM went unanswered even though I left messages about when I would start. There seems to be a real lack of Human Resource practices. Do all Line Cooks interview 4 times with high end Management? I doubt it as 100% of the food handling staff was of Latino decent. I would also like to add that while I did my stand-in interview, I saw the Head Chef (he was wearing the designated black attire) violate safe food handling. As he was preparing the line for the day he needs to sample all food. In doing so, he used the same spoon to taste everything without washing or sanitizing it even though they had a mass supply of sampling spoons. His assistant did the same right behind him. I also witnessed this same assistant bring out a pan of raw chicken breasts for the shift as he took last nights raw chicken and place it on top of the new to be used first. Not a problem but he did it with his bare hands and then never cleaned his hands and then went on to handle other food and equipment.

Interview Questions

• No one asked me any related questions to qualify my knowledge.   1 Answer

Houseworker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants.

Interview

I received an email though through their hiring site and went to the interview at their hiring location. It was a good interview, they asked good questions. Originally I applied to a lot of different potions and was hoping to get to be a host. My interviewer said she wanted me to be a host and it was great and that her manager would be in tomorrow. So she asked me to come in tomorrow. I had a second interview the next day with a different manager but they offered me the Houseworker position. So I took it.

Interview Questions

• When have you gone above and beyond for a job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They ask you to negotiate. I didn't my mistake. Make sure to negotiate they really negotiate I have heard.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in September 2014.

Interview

Two interviews and I was offered the job about halfway through the 2nd interview. Both interviews were behavior based and "Give me an example of when you worked as part of a great team and what made it great." Don't be expecting a traditional interview where you talk about each previous job, why you left, etc.

Interview Questions

• I would say just the fact that I didn't have to talk about previous jobs was unexpected.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They asked what I was looking for and I was offered what I asked for because it was in their average range.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Kansas City, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online which consisted of personal information and a personality quiz. Received an email the next day asking when I could come in for an interview and was scheduled for that same week. Once I arrived, I waited longer to meet with the manager than the entire interview took. The first interview was with the Assistant GM, the questions were pretty routine: Tell me about yourself, tell me about a time when a guest had a complain and how did you solve it, etc. After the first interview ended, I waited a while longer and then met with the GM. The second interview was even quicker and easier, he mostly just explained what the job would be like and answered some of my questions. By the end of it, he had set me up with a time for orientation.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants.

Interview

All 3 interviews went well and everyone I interviewed with seemed really nice. After my 3rd interview which was with the COO I was told by their secretary that I passed all the interviews and I will be getting an offer as soon as they know when the restaurant is opening for sure. She also said she will call me every week just to touch base which she never did. I called and asked her a month later how everything was coming along and she said everything was great and to not feel like I am being strung along. I said ok, just give me a call when you are ready. I called again a month later because their secretary never called again and she told me that she is sorry she hasn't called and to not feel like I am being strung along. I found this really weird so I called the area supervisor who I interviewed with and he told me to call him back in a week and he will give me some info as to when the offer is coming. I called a week later and he told me that I never made the cut. I was very confused and upset especially since their secretary told me that I passed my 3rd interview and to expect an offer soon. I then called the COO and spoke to him and explained to him what happened. He told me that he was going to research it and call me back. It has been a month and he never called. Pretty sad when there is no clear communication within the organization and nobody even cares to call me back and explain. Their restaurant concept is really cool and I was really looking forward to working for them but after this experience I guess i'm glad that I won't be there working for them.

Tasting Room Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

Everything looked great and very exciting, training was great, then NOOOOhelp when you get on board. The hiring was the easy part because i had the knowledge of wines to begin with, but they hired people who didnt know red wine from white wine

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They told me it was set..Take it or leave it

Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants in July 2011.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and the interview was not a rigid as I expected. The manager was very upfront about expectations and standards, including the requirement of inviting guests into the wine club. She was honest about the hours and side work and even though so nights would be long, they would be well worth it.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very run of the mill. I believe they are looking more for attitude and presentation than technical answers. They want someone who genuinely cares about the work they do and how it effects guest service.   Answer Question

Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Wheeling, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

A very standard, average behavioral interview. Very casual setting in the middle of the restaurant. Very nice and understanding hiring manager. Position said to have very flexible hours provided the employee is a reliable worker. Emphasize any previous restaurant experience or other customer service oriented jobs. Also emphasize an optimistic company culture.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (Orland Park, IL) in December 2010.

Interview

They need to know your school schedule, but they ask you to give an example about how you've gone above & beyond at a project before. It is very easy to get hired here if you're smart and have a good head on your shoulders.

Interview Questions

• There really isn't hard questions - just be truthful. They want good kids as hosts/hostess. And don't steal the pretzel bread.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation - minimum wage