Cornell University

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Ithaca, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University in December 2010.

Interview Details – No interview, just a chat with professor. They take you if you appear enthusiastic (also willing to spend long hours on the job). So please be eagerly reading papers and asking questions in the meeting. You have to appear enthusiastic and make an intelligent conversation.

Interview Question – Are you proud of your achievements (don't know what thats supposed to mean), proud of your achievements is such a relative question not sure what he was expecting as an answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – standard graduate school. There is no scope for any sort of negotiation what so ever

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University.

Interview Details – Simple and straight-forward. Since I was an undergraduate at Cornell, the interview process was painless so I don't really have much to say. Just know the field you are applying to and be professional. Take the time to read research on the faculty or department you are going to be working for.

Interviewed at Cornell University

Interview Details – I applied via the standard application process. I believe I had emailed with a faculty member or two in advance of applying, and perhaps had a phone call, but nothing sticks in my mind. I know I visited and met in person with several faculty, including the person who would later be my chair, after I was accepted but before I agreed to come.

Interview Question – There was more emphasis than I expected on long-term career goals. Also, for applying to a graduate program, I was surprised at the specificity faculty expected with regard to what I will study -- after all, isn't grad school where you figure out *what* to study? I had broad ideas, but I was surprised how specific some of my fellow students were when they arrived.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cornell University

Interview Details – The process is by applying for PhD. For this you need to go the cornell universities website and apply online. Typically you need to submit your grades for undergraduate studies, a resume, a research statement. But the process is very competitive and only the best students with the best grades and good research background get in.

Negotiation Details – None

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cornell University.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – what are your research interests?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Ithaca, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cornell University in January 2009.

Interview Details – This job consisted of one one-on-one interview and mostly was casual, about my skills. It had limited questions about my Excel capabilities.

Interview Question – Why shouldn't I hire you? (What's your weakness)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University in March 2007.

Interview Details – The response I received to my initial inquiry was positive and quick. It was clear the people responsible for hiring were organized. Also, after speaking with a few of the researchers it was clear to me they had an encouraging culture. Furthermore, the people in charge of hiring gave each applicant that reached the interview stage serious consideration.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University in July 2008.

Interview Details – Very interesting interview... all sorts of questions. Mostly regarding bifurcation theory. Asked to find the normal from of a hopf bifurcation. Prove the andronov hopf theorem. Poincare bendicson theorem. Question about dynamical systems and stability. Hartman gorbman theorem. Some personality questions. More questions on nature of science and universe.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cornell University

Worked for Cornell University? Contribute to the Community!

Cornell University Videos

Cornell University – Why Work for Us?

Cornell is a community of scholars, known for intellectual rigor and engaged in deep and broad research, teaching tomorrow’s thought leaders to think otherwise, care for others, and create and disseminate knowledge with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cornell University Graduate Research Assistant interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cornell University employees and interview candidates.