Cornell University

Cornell University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

2.0

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University.

Simple and straight-forward. Since I was an undergraduate at Cornell, the interview process was painless so I don't really have much to say. Just know the field you are applying to and be professional. Take the time to read research on the faculty or department you are going to be working for.

Other Interview Reviews for Cornell University

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied via the standard application process. I believe I had emailed with a faculty member or two in advance of applying, and perhaps had a phone call, but nothing sticks in my mind. I know I visited and met in person with several faculty, including the person who would later be my chair, after I was accepted but before I agreed to come.

Interview Questions
    • There was more emphasis than I expected on long-term career goals. Also, for applying to a graduate program, I was surprised at the specificity faculty expected with regard to what I will study -- after all, isn't grad school where you figure out *what* to study? I had broad ideas, but I was surprised how specific some of my fellow students were when they arrived.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

The process is by applying for PhD. For this you need to go the cornell universities website and apply online. Typically you need to submit your grades for undergraduate studies, a resume, a research statement. But the process is very competitive and only the best students with the best grades and good research background get in.

None

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cornell University.

phone interview

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University in December 2010.

No interview, just a chat with professor. They take you if you appear enthusiastic (also willing to spend long hours on the job). So please be eagerly reading papers and asking questions in the meeting. You have to appear enthusiastic and make an intelligent conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Are you proud of your achievements (don't know what thats supposed to mean), proud of your achievements is such a relative question not sure what he was expecting as an answer.   Answer Question
    standard graduate school. There is no scope for any sort of negotiation what so ever

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cornell University in January 2009.

This job consisted of one one-on-one interview and mostly was casual, about my skills. It had limited questions about my Excel capabilities.

no negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University in March 2007.

The response I received to my initial inquiry was positive and quick. It was clear the people responsible for hiring were organized. Also, after speaking with a few of the researchers it was clear to me they had an encouraging culture. Furthermore, the people in charge of hiring gave each applicant that reached the interview stage serious consideration.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University in July 2008.

Very interesting interview... all sorts of questions. Mostly regarding bifurcation theory. Asked to find the normal from of a hopf bifurcation. Prove the andronov hopf theorem. Poincare bendicson theorem. Question about dynamical systems and stability. Hartman gorbman theorem. Some personality questions. More questions on nature of science and universe.