Cornell University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

2.4

Student Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cornell University in May 2010.

Pursued my PI and asked for a job in person. Because he was so busy, I had to find his phone number online and call him to follow up because he didn't respond to any emails. After meeting for a half hour standard interview which was more like a conversation, I was hired. I wish every interview

Interview Questions
    Negotiated salary a bit, but it was mainly dependent on grant funding

Drafter III Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Cornell University in May 2014.

I applied for the position of Drafter III with Cornell University in early April 2014 and was contacted by phone to set up an initial in person interview in early May 2014. I arrived at Newman Laboratory for an in person panel interview which consisted of myself and three other employees which included the hiring manager. The interview consisted of typical interview questions that were relevant to the position. The entire interview lasted approximately one hour. I wasn't given a tour of the laboratory or of any of the work areas. The next step in the process would have included a second interview. I knew that I was most likely on the short list for the first interview and was confident that my experience, education, and interview skills would lead to a second interview but it wasn't to be. I was contacted by the hiring manager by phone three weeks later to learn that I hadn't gotten the job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University in December 2010.

No interview, just a chat with professor. They take you if you appear enthusiastic (also willing to spend long hours on the job). So please be eagerly reading papers and asking questions in the meeting. You have to appear enthusiastic and make an intelligent conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Are you proud of your achievements (don't know what thats supposed to mean), proud of your achievements is such a relative question not sure what he was expecting as an answer.   Answer Question
    standard graduate school. There is no scope for any sort of negotiation what so ever

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University in August 2010.

There was only one interview which consisted of a talk I gave about my previous research followed by subsequent questions. I received an official offer shortly after that (maybe 2 weeks later). I accepted and started the job ca. 3 months after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember the questions anymore, in general they were not really unexpeted.   Answer Question
    I mentioned the $ amount I wanted at least, and that was the amount that was stated in the offer which I received, plus health and retirement benefits.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cornell University.

Simple and straight-forward. Since I was an undergraduate at Cornell, the interview process was painless so I don't really have much to say. Just know the field you are applying to and be professional. Take the time to read research on the faculty or department you are going to be working for.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cornell University in August 2011.

Went on two interviews, got the job offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here as an admin. with a degree from Cornell?   View Answers (2)

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Cornell University in February 2010.

Detailed CV, statement of purpose, interviews in several cases, GRE scores, thorough screening before selection of candidates.

Research Support Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Cornell University in November 2010.

It is difficult to get into the Cornell hiring system as an external candidate, but once you are within the system, you are given preferential treatment. Depending on your qualifications and background, you may be able to be promoted within a department or across colleges.

As standard protocol, even if a department considers you an ideal internal candidate, they will still need to post the position to the public and interview multiple candidates.

The interview is conducted with select members of the employees you will most closely work with. This usually includes the internal HR contact, the project managers, and appropriate faculty members. The questions will go over the overall duties of the position as is expected within any position. They will also ask how you will handle specific problems or duties within the parameters of the job description. They may also ask questions regarding any additional skills you may have that can contribute to success within the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the publications you have contributed to and ways that you would assist the faculty in implementing their research   Answer Question
    Consider your experience. Since it is a fierce job market in Ithaca, NY, try not to settle on the first offer because of desperation. Use justification to negotiate a higher salary.

Technical Services Supervisor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cornell University.

Took three months or so to go through process of phone interviews, and live on location interview. Ask to see the SPD (Staff Position Description) as soon as you apply. Was two phone interviews and an interview on site. And monthly calls to keep in touch.

Get to know Cornell's job family groups and recruiting pay band ranges...then negotiate.

PhD Student Interview

Standard grad school application. Take the standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL), and submit letters of recommendation, transcripts, and statement of purpose. Unlike some schools there is no interview for the Computer Science department.

Worked for Cornell University? Contribute to the Community!