Cornell University

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.4

Student Laboratory Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cornell University.

I emailed the positions with a letter of interest. My lab got back to me by email. I had a very short interview with them where I basically expressed my interest and we talked about the lab and my schedule and was offered the job by email later. It was all very simple as the job trained people, so no prior experience was necessary.

Web Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornell University.

Do you enjoy high stress environments? This was for a high stress position.

Provide code examples, etc.

They will call all of your references. They will check with your current employer. I did get a tour of the campus and a comprehensive benefits package.

PhD Student Interview

The process is pretty routine, similar to other universities. After some months I was contacted through email by a professor and he said he would want to talk to me over the phone. He asked mostly about my research and why I am interested in Cornell University. Then he talked about his group at Cornell University.

Cornell Interview

all behavioral, not too much questions, I think I did alright, not too bad, no technical questions, the questions they asked related to the stuff you learn at school. Nice environment to interview, not too bad of a culture.

Drafter III Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cornell University in May 2014.

I applied for the position of Drafter III with Cornell University in early April 2014 and was contacted by phone to set up an initial in person interview in early May 2014. I arrived at Newman Laboratory for an in person panel interview which consisted of myself and three other employees which included the hiring manager. The interview consisted of typical interview questions that were relevant to the position. The entire interview lasted approximately one hour. I wasn't given a tour of the laboratory or of any of the work areas. The next step in the process would have included a second interview. I knew that I was most likely on the short list for the first interview and was confident that my experience, education, and interview skills would lead to a second interview but it wasn't to be. I was contacted by the hiring manager by phone three weeks later to learn that I hadn't gotten the job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University.

Simple and straight-forward. Since I was an undergraduate at Cornell, the interview process was painless so I don't really have much to say. Just know the field you are applying to and be professional. Take the time to read research on the faculty or department you are going to be working for.

Technical Services Supervisor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cornell University.

Took three months or so to go through process of phone interviews, and live on location interview. Ask to see the SPD (Staff Position Description) as soon as you apply. Was two phone interviews and an interview on site. And monthly calls to keep in touch.

Get to know Cornell's job family groups and recruiting pay band ranges...then negotiate.

PhD Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cornell University.

Standard grad school application. Take the standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL), and submit letters of recommendation, transcripts, and statement of purpose. Unlike some schools there is no interview for the Computer Science department.

Senior Information Specialist Interview

Application questions consist of five short answers. The first round interview is a group interview in which you are given scenarios and are expected to come up with creative and on-the-spot responses. The second round interview is with two staff members and they give you more detailed scenarios that test your ability to think on the spot. Final round interview is with a hiring manager and one of the CIVR managers. They are all looking for outgoing and positive personalities.

Interview Questions
    • You are giving a tour to a group that does not understand any English, what do you do?   Answer Question

Career Services Interview

group interview, split into small groups, not very stressful, get pretend situations

Interview Questions
    • what if someone came in and had no idea what they wanted to do with their life?   Answer Question