Cornell University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2015
Updated Apr 4, 2015

2.4

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

No interview. Since I got an A in the class so I am eligible to apply. I wrote an email to the professor and got the offer. The process is very smooth.

Student Laboratory Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cornell University.

Interview

I emailed the positions with a letter of interest. My lab got back to me by email. I had a very short interview with them where I basically expressed my interest and we talked about the lab and my schedule and was offered the job by email later. It was all very simple as the job trained people, so no prior experience was necessary.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornell University.

Interview

Do you enjoy high stress environments? This was for a high stress position.

Provide code examples, etc.

They will call all of your references. They will check with your current employer. I did get a tour of the campus and a comprehensive benefits package.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

The process is pretty routine, similar to other universities. After some months I was contacted through email by a professor and he said he would want to talk to me over the phone. He asked mostly about my research and why I am interested in Cornell University. Then he talked about his group at Cornell University.

Cornell Interview

Interview

all behavioral, not too much questions, I think I did alright, not too bad, no technical questions, the questions they asked related to the stuff you learn at school. Nice environment to interview, not too bad of a culture.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cornell University in September 2014.

Interview

just talk about the project that i have ever done, talk about the skills that I have
    have a more detail explanation of the most interesting project,
    how I apply skills to that particular project

Drafter III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cornell University in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position of Drafter III with Cornell University in early April 2014 and was contacted by phone to set up an initial in person interview in early May 2014. I arrived at Newman Laboratory for an in person panel interview which consisted of myself and three other employees which included the hiring manager. The interview consisted of typical interview questions that were relevant to the position. The entire interview lasted approximately one hour. I wasn't given a tour of the laboratory or of any of the work areas. The next step in the process would have included a second interview. I knew that I was most likely on the short list for the first interview and was confident that my experience, education, and interview skills would lead to a second interview but it wasn't to be. I was contacted by the hiring manager by phone three weeks later to learn that I hadn't gotten the job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cornell University.

Interview

Simple and straight-forward. Since I was an undergraduate at Cornell, the interview process was painless so I don't really have much to say. Just know the field you are applying to and be professional. Take the time to read research on the faculty or department you are going to be working for.

Technical Services Supervisor II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cornell University (Ithaca, NY).

Interview

Took three months or so to go through process of phone interviews, and live on location interview. Ask to see the SPD (Staff Position Description) as soon as you apply. Was two phone interviews and an interview on site. And monthly calls to keep in touch.

Negotiation

Get to know Cornell's job family groups and recruiting pay band ranges...then negotiate.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cornell University.

Interview

Standard grad school application. Take the standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL), and submit letters of recommendation, transcripts, and statement of purpose. Unlike some schools there is no interview for the Computer Science department.