Cornerstone Research Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

3.3

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

The first part of the interview involved two phone interviews, lasting 40 minutes each. You will be interviewed by two different analysts. In my case, I was first interviewed by an analyst who asked me questions that focused on finance. The next interviewer asked me questions that focused on economics. Both of the interviews were focused on a case that your interviewer emails you about three hours prior to the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions seemed to vary depending on the case you were sent. When I was interviewed, I was asked to make specific calculations, and answer questions that tested my economic and financial intuition. There were also behavioral questions related to my work experience, and long-term goals.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Through my college career center, I got a first round interview with Cornerstone. They asked about my general interest in economic consulting and we went through a simple case about practical cell phone applications and how they could be improved. The first round seemed to go well, and I got a second round interview. The interviewer asked a few behavioral questions and then we went into the case, which was going through the process of creating a website for young professionals to buy concert tickets.

Interview Questions

• Case about website for young professionals to buy concert tickets   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in April 2015.

Interview

First round consisted of two 40 minute phone interviews. First 10-15 minutes were dedicated to behavioral questions. Remaining time was for a case. Pretty standard behavioral questions like describe a time when you were failing in a project, how do you manage time. First case was related to the finance industry and second was related to a product. They were trying to assess how you would look at the problem, whether you could think out of the box, your math skills. Not very difficult and the Analysts try to lead you to the right answer in a friendly way.

Interview Questions

• What factors would a competitor have to consider if they were entering this product market?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in March 2015.

Interview

There were two 45-min phone interview. Discussed one case per interview. The interviewers walked me through the assumptions and the big picture of the litigation problem at hand. I was then asked to comment on various aspects of the claim. They were quite helpful and the interview was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• One case was about pension plans. I was asked whether moving from defined benefit plan to defined contribution was a wise advice made in early 2000s.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Interesting interview process. Very hard to prepare for but I'll just give my experience. Applied online through my university's career website and received a notification I got a first round interview. First round was on-campus and was mostly a case. These cases are not like management consulting cases, and require some knowledge of economics and regressions, but generally test how you react to new information.The analysts will essentially walk you through the case and ask questions or ask how you would tease out more information from the case. Found out I got a second round about a day later. Second (and final) round, I'd state is almost entirely about fit, although it lasts about 7 hours, I had 6 cases, all in the same time of format as the first one, and also was taken to lunch by the office. Overall it was a very good experience and about a week later I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of case questions based off of cases that the analysts had worked on in the past, which ranged from securitization to analyzing foreign exchange rates. Other than that, basic behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Applied in November for Associate position, got an onsite interview in December. Interview had two 45-minute segments, each with a Principal. First half of each segment was a description of my graduate school work. Be ready to defend your model assumptions. Second half involved a case study. The case study was pretty vaguely described. Basically your (the interviewee's) job is to tease our different elements of the case that need to be addressed. Then, for each element, propose a way of doing so.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Heard back within a week and was offered an interview on campus. It was a one on one interview. The interviewer asked about what other firms and industries I was applying to? Then asked about a couple of items on the resume, nothing intense. Then he presented me with a case.

Interview Questions

• Asked about what other firms and industries I was applying to? Had a case on a previous project that the interviewer worked on before. It was a case on pollution in China, and looked at data manipulation.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Went through a 30-min long interview with 2 behavioral questions and a case interview. The interviewer was very nice. He asked a bit about my research assistant experience, then we went on to the case interview. I prepared cases posted on their website, but the one I got was about analyzing and interpreting a news report on the sports newspaper, and I was caught off-guard.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think this hockey team has a higher profitability than the other?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2015.

Interview

The process consisted in two separate phone interviews, about 30 minutes each. Both of them had the same format: for the first 10-15 minutes they asked questions about my background, then we moved to a case study. I liked how the recruters guide you through the case study by asking you specific questions, which was really helpful since I am not very familiar with this type of questions. A solid econometrics background is definitely required.

Interview Questions

• Damage estimation questions. The first one was about a band suing a blogger for publishing their song for free on his website without permission. The second one was about a publicly listed credit company overestimating their revenues and having to compensate their shareholders for the sudden drop in stock price.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university, and was told I was accepted for an on-campus interview. The day of the interview, I met with an Analyst at Cornerstone who was only a couple years older than me. It made for easier conversation and generally felt fairly positive, but I was not called back for more.

Interview Questions

• First half--resume and experience. Second half--case interview. They showed some charts and data about a company going through supposed litigation. I had to interpret the results. I felt comfortable due to having taken Econometrics and was familiar with regression analysis.   Answer Question