Cornerstone Research

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through university career fair. The screening process was fast. Interviewed on campus three days later and was invited to the Menlo Park office for a final round interview, including two rounds of resume questions and three cases. It will be very helpful if you review the cases Cornerstone has published on their website.

Interview Question – Case studies. The cases were not that well defined, so you have to ask a lot of questions to clarify them. Cases would be easy if you are an Econ major.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview Details – Three 30 min interviews with cases for first round, five 30 min interviews with cases for final round

Interview Question – Cases were about securities, anti-trust, patent infringement, basically stuff that you'd be thinking about if you were to work there.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in July 2013.

Interview Details – I initially tried to submit my resume through the online application process, but I had missed the recruiting season window. I submitted my resume through an acquaintance who forwarded it to recruiter. Was called in for an interview in the office where my acquaintance works. Had two 45 minute interviews: one with an analyst and another with an associate.

Interview Question – Barriers to entry for fish processors   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was a wonderful experience. I had two phone interviews before flying to San Francisco for my office interviews. In the office, I had four interviews with various Cornerstone employees. These interviews had a case portion, but I feel like the fit portion of the interview carried the largest weight. After the interviews, I went out to lunch with two Cornerstone employees. Great experience!

Interview Question – In one interview, I was asked to interpret a provided graph. The graph had hundreds of data points that were irrelevant to the case. I had to sort through the data to determine what was useful information and what was useless.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another internship offer from a strategy consulting firm. To me, strategy consulting is more appealing than economic consulting

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in October 2011.

Interview Details – The case interview process and the interviewer experience is wonderful. I really enjoyed the conversation I had with my interviewer and thought the case was challenging, but interesting. I was always able to ask questions and get guidance as I needed it. They do a great job of making sure that your questions are answered. The office-preference question comes in the first round, so have an answer for that early - be honest and direct about it, but say where you're open to working after your top choice.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was a finance detail in the case.   Answer Question

Information Specialist Interview

Information Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in March 2008.

Interview Details – Cornerstone took a few months to contact me after submitting a resume. The interview process was 4 tiered. I met with the department manager first, then with all of the department staff, then with a sampling of the consultants, and then with the head of the San Francisco office. Everyone is very friendly and they are most concerned with finding the correct personality fit, followed closely of course by skills needed for the position.

Interview Question – How do you react to not having an answer to what is being asked of you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The company is mostly economists so having hard data to back up your negotiations, like a salary survey, is very effective.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in October 2011.

Interview Details – Two back to back case interviews with some casual chat at the beginning. One case on patent, one on antitrust. Strongly recommend candidates take a look at the publications on the company website. Methodologies and examples are included.

San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – I got the interview through a Career Center listing for the company. They were interviewing a lot of people for the first round: 2 full days of on-campus interviews and 1 full day of in-office interviews. I don't know how they determined who they wanted to invite on-campus or in-office, but I was emailed about a week after the deadline and asked to come to the office. I wasn't reimbursed, but I figured going through the interview and maybe getting a job would be more worth it than deciding not to spend some money on travel.

The interview consisted of two 1:1 interviews. Each interview had some resume questions (just making sure you know what you've done and see where your interests really lie), but the biggest portion of each interview was the case. They were portions of actual cases they were working on or had completed. More like management consulting cases than economic consulting. Know what area you're interviewing for and brush up on your economics and business skills.

The interviewers were really friendly, and the San Francisco office is really nice. From what I have heard about it, Cornerstone is a really awesome place to work, and the people there are very happy.

A week after the interview, I got an email saying that I was not given an offer and that it was a difficult choice for them because of my strong qualifications (typical rejection letter wording). Anyways, it was still a good experience speaking with them and seeing the office. Maybe it'll be a potential place to work in the future(?)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the research you did during your internship.   Answer Question
  • How would you calculate the damages for an infringing product?   View Answer
  • What factors would affect the supply of this product?   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in August 2011.

Interview Details – got the first interview from a resume drop at my school
day 1 - 2 interviews at my school with recent college grads
day 2 - 4 interviews at their office with people with a range of experience levels from undergrad, to bschool to phd. the office seemed west-coast centric as everybody had gone to stanford in some capacity

Interview Question – Company X is being sued for this reason. Here is the opponent's argument. What do you think of it (i.e. apply economic reasoning to tear it apart)? All of the questions followed this format.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cornerstone Research in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was called 2 days after submitting my application. First round interview consisted of 3 30 minute interviews each with an Analyst. The case studies were first, antitrust issues of fictional Coal Industry. Second valuation of an announcement that hurt a company stock. And third, sub-prime mortgages and bank risk. 2 business days later I was called to be flown to the office. That consisted of 5 30 minute interviews with case studies ranging from real estate pricing to hedge fund management and pharmaceutical effectiveness suit. All interviewers were very nice and I felt welcome. Because I had a time sensitive offer, I was called a few days after and told I did not get the position. This was after they hired most analysts and were looking for additional ones to fill out the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you show that two out of five companies that make up 90% market share would not cause antitrust issues?   View Answer
  • How would you tell if a Bank took on unnecessary risk in the form of subprime mortgages in 2005 given the value in millions of dollars?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cornerstone Research

Worked for Cornerstone Research? Contribute to the Community!