Cornerstone Research Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

3.3

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Interesting interview process. Very hard to prepare for but I'll just give my experience. Applied online through my university's career website and received a notification I got a first round interview. First round was on-campus and was mostly a case. These cases are not like management consulting cases, and require some knowledge of economics and regressions, but generally test how you react to new information.The analysts will essentially walk you through the case and ask questions or ask how you would tease out more information from the case. Found out I got a second round about a day later. Second (and final) round, I'd state is almost entirely about fit, although it lasts about 7 hours, I had 6 cases, all in the same time of format as the first one, and also was taken to lunch by the office. Overall it was a very good experience and about a week later I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of case questions based off of cases that the analysts had worked on in the past, which ranged from securitization to analyzing foreign exchange rates. Other than that, basic behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cornerstone Research

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Heard back within a week and was offered an interview on campus. It was a one on one interview. The interviewer asked about what other firms and industries I was applying to? Then asked about a couple of items on the resume, nothing intense. Then he presented me with a case.

Interview Questions

• Asked about what other firms and industries I was applying to? Had a case on a previous project that the interviewer worked on before. It was a case on pollution in China, and looked at data manipulation.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cornerstone Research.

Interview

Went through a 30-min long interview with 2 behavioral questions and a case interview. The interviewer was very nice. He asked a bit about my research assistant experience, then we went on to the case interview. I prepared cases posted on their website, but the one I got was about analyzing and interpreting a news report on the sports newspaper, and I was caught off-guard.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think this hockey team has a higher profitability than the other?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Five case interview+lunch. They will ask you some behavior question first and then walk through a case. One was related to housing price, another few is related to stock market. Also ask me my stata skills. People are very nice.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2015.

Interview

The process consisted in two separate phone interviews, about 30 minutes each. Both of them had the same format: for the first 10-15 minutes they asked questions about my background, then we moved to a case study. I liked how the recruters guide you through the case study by asking you specific questions, which was really helpful since I am not very familiar with this type of questions. A solid econometrics background is definitely required.

Interview Questions

• Damage estimation questions. The first one was about a band suing a blogger for publishing their song for free on his website without permission. The second one was about a publicly listed credit company overestimating their revenues and having to compensate their shareholders for the sudden drop in stock price.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university, and was told I was accepted for an on-campus interview. The day of the interview, I met with an Analyst at Cornerstone who was only a couple years older than me. It made for easier conversation and generally felt fairly positive, but I was not called back for more.

Interview Questions

• First half--resume and experience. Second half--case interview. They showed some charts and data about a company going through supposed litigation. I had to interpret the results. I felt comfortable due to having taken Econometrics and was familiar with regression analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Brief interview, took about 45 minutes total. Half was behavioral, half was case. Case was based on something that the interviewer was working on and pretty straightforward. Interviewer was young and very friendly, led me to any answers that I was struggling with. Did not receive offer for second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain hypothesis testing from a statistics standpoint.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cornerstone Research in January 2015.

Interview

The first round is 2 interviews back to back. Not much behavior questions, just asked my to talk about myself, and picked a point on my resume to dig deeper. Then we moved to case. One case is the typical damage estimation. The other is more open ended. A small town had a big fire incident and lots of oil factories were burned down. What are the major influences the fire had on the town.

Interview Questions

• 1. typical damage estimation.
      2. A small town had a big fire incident and lots of oil factories were burned down. What are the major influences the fire had on the town. The interviewer asked my how to collect and analyze data to proof my opinion and made up some data according to my answer, asked me to interpretat.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university. The first interview was a 30 minute with some behavioral at the beginning followed by a case. The case was quite technical and difficult to prepare for. In general, a widely developed business knowledge and quick thinking are more important for the case. I did not have time to finish the case completely and my peers who also interviewed said they were cut off as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Had two back to back initial phone interviews, each consisting of 15 minutes of behavioral and 15 minutes of case. Was emailed a relevant graph for one of the cases about an hour before the interview began. Neither case was bad at all, and they were very willing to push you in the right direction if you were unsure. Went in for a final round a few days later (had an expiring offer) -- they paid for all expenses and put me up in a hotel. There were five interviews and a lunch throughout the day. Four interviews were half behavioral/half case, and the last one was full behavioral. Overall a good interview experience. The cases weren't too bad, but a general knowledge of economics is pretty helpful, to be honest.

Interview Questions

• Given a case with a Japanese pharmaceutical company and an American biotech company. With extra information, how do you analyze the terms of their supply contract?   Answer Question