Corning Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.9

Process Simulation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Corning in April 2014.

Phone interview scheduled within one week of resume submission. Got invited for on-site interview. Offer not generated yet. Some questions on failure analysis, mechanical testing and simulation using FEA software e.g. ANSYS and ABAQUS for brittle materials. Initially, it will be a contract position for few months before getting converted to full time. That is the company norm.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of technical questions from your resume and good mix of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Imaging Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Corning in March 2014.

I was called by the HR staff to set a phone interview with hiring manager.
    Hiring manager described general responsibilities of the position, asked me about my experiences and some questions to make sure I really know what I talk about.
    Two week later, I got an email from HR that said hiring manager would like to have me in Corning for an onsite interview.

The onsite interview took a whole day total. First, I presented my work for an hour to a group of 10-15 managers and employees. Later, I met with them individually and each asked some questions about my work. I also got a chance to ask them some questions about Corning and if they like it there.

I think the interview went really well on my side. Hiring manager was supposed to let me know in two weeks about the outcome of my interview and their decision, but unfortunately he never contacted me or responded to my emails.

After interview, I sent him a thank you message and inquire about their decision a couple week after, but no response. I was not even contacted by a HR person about the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • - Some detailed questions about my presentation
      - Are you willing to learn new areas depending on the project?
      - Are you going to stay and work for Corning or you will leave after a couple years?
      - How do you like the cold weather and living in a small city?

Answer Question

Infortmation Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corning, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Corning.

Phone screening and at least one on site interview. Usually with HR, Manager, and Supervisor and sometimes a panel of peers (to verify experience and knowledge)

Strategic Analyst Interview

Most was about behavior questions. Specifically, reasons that I want to work for the company. Leadership experiences, why changing job position. weakness. School experiences, team work experience. I tried to answer to show my creativity, passion for technology, leadership, and customer-oriented mind.
    Very friendly but 2 interviewers asked questions rapidly.

Plant Controller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Corning in December 2013.

Received call from Human Resources who passed my information on to the hiring manager. Phone interview with the hiring manager and in person interview at the plant.The interview was with several mangers and potential employees or coworkers. Interview took about 5 hours which included onsite lunch

Interview Questions
    • There were not what I consider to be difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Got a email asking for scheduling time for call, and had some conversation regarding resume and visual basic programming

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corning, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Corning.

Very detailed interview using behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Who was your most difficult customer and how did you handle him or her?   Answer Question

Chemical Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Corning.

First there is an initial 10 minute phone screening. Then you will be asked to answer a questionnaire followed by a phone interview in which the interviewer paraphrases the questionnaire. A month later there was an all day onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers did not ask a lot of questions. It was your responsibility to ask the questions.   Answer Question

Melting Technology Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrodsburg, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Harrodsburg, KY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Corning in August 2013.

Applied for a different position and was "encouraged" to apply for the Melting Technology Engineer position. First and foremost, the interview process with Corning is exceptionally long. From initial application to final notice was a total of 3 months and 8 days.

The interview process consisted of the initial online application, a follow up questionnaire about job specific issues, a phone interview with Human Resources, a phone interview with the Hiring Manager, a series of in person 1:1 interviews that lasted 8 hours and a follow up phone interviews with expat engineers.

Be prepared for interviews with engineers not in the department you are interviewing with. It is clear the majority of the people who do interview a candidate do not bother to read their resume. The individuals who take time to read a candidate's resume will stand out.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one instance where you had to resolve a conflict within a group and what the result was.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Corning.

I initially applied for the position through my college website and was contacted within a few weeks. I set up an interview for a friday afternoon. During the interview I met with most of the department (4-5 individuals) mainly discussed my past work experiences and then went was walked through the production floor and shown what they do on a daily basis. Overall it was very relaxed and I knew within the first few minutes of the interview that this was going to be a very enjoyable place to work everyday.