Corning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Senior Process Engineer
Manassas, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Corning in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had to communicate with three Corning HR Reps / Recruiters in the interviewing process.

The first contact was made by a HR representative to schedule for phone interview. I insisted on an in-person interview, so I ended up interviewing with the hiring manager. There were multiple interruptions during the interview. People would come into the room and discussed issues with the hiring manager. Nevertheless, the interview went well and lasted around 2 hours. He invited me back for a presentation as well as a group interview. The group interview comprised of managers from quality, operation, plant manager, product development, and tech service. The interview lasted half day. At the end of the interview, I was advised that the hiring decision would be made within a week. I followed up after the second week and learned that there were multiple candidates inconsideration, but there were still no hiring decision. I was advised again that the decision will be made on the 3rd week, but I did not hear anything back during or beyond the 3rd week.

Couple days later, the position was posted again.

Interview Question – The hiring team tend to be technical in interview questions. There were specific questions regarding the understanding of equipment and process.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Corning in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1. phone interview by hiring manager
2. phone interview by HR
3. on-site interview
Ph.D level on-site interview:
1.30~35 min presentation followed by 15~20min Q&A
2. 1:1 interview by hiring manager, site director
3. lunch with potential team members
4. 1:1 interview by other team leaders/specialists

Interview Question – Not too much difficult or unexpected questions if well prepared.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at Corning

Interview Details – Got a call without any prior notice. Asked about when I can graduate and that's it. Lasted about one minute or two.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Design Engineer II Interview

Systems Design Engineer II
Keene, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Corning.

Interview Details – The interviewing process is LONG. I applied the beginning of August and received an offer the end of September. After applying I had an HR screening interview. Over a week later I received a call to schedule a phone interview with the engineers there. A week later they let me know they wanted me to fly out to Keene. They arranged everything! The interview was exhausting but went well. The job offer was mailed.

Interview Question – For me I had studied a lot before hand so nothing really caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was competitive and the relocation package was good! Unfortunately the process was so long that I had started to pursue other opportunities. In the end I had to choose between the two and I decided on the one I was already pursuing.

Corning, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Corning in March 2012.

Interview Details – interview starts with the breakfast of the first day with 1 to 1 talk with a senior scientist.
Then I did a presentation about my research for 1 hour with several questions and discussions followed.
Most of the following 1 to 1 interviews are based on this presentation.
I had lunch, dinner and next breakfast with managers and scientists and took 2 days to finish up.
First half of the second day was interviews, but it ended by noon and the second half was a Corning city tour.

Then the most frustrating part comes; waiting for the reply.
It took like 2 months until I got a disappointing reply.
According to the manager, my presentation was good and all the group members liked me.
But, due to the budget cut, the position itself disappeared.

If that is the case, it would be much better to know it earlier than waiting for 2 months for nothing.

Interview Question – What motivates you most for the work? Provide experience and achievement to support it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Corning in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was good.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Corning, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Corning in June 2010.

Interview Details – It took about a month after I had applied, but I finally received a call and asked to start as soon as possible. Spoke with the manager I would be working under and discussed pay and responsibilities. Very straightforward and to the point interview, just asking basic question related to my resume.

Interview Question – What would you like to do?   Answer Question

PMP Project Manager Interview

PMP Project Manager
Corning, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Corning in January 2012.

Interview Details – I responded to recruiters posting in the beginning of December 2011 and I send my resume. I was asked to answer questions from company which I did. After a month I was asked if I am still available. Phone interview was scheduled. Recruiting company provided me with opportunity to speak with former employee at the same position which I took. Phone interview went wrong from very beginning - corporate recruiter had an negative opinion from the beginning about my candidacy and I was not able to change it despite attempts from my side. I was told that company sees me as Business Analyst not Project Manager, and my knowledge is theoretical only, despite 14 years of professional experience (in which I was BA for a year). Overall: very positive on recruiter side, very negative on the corporate side.

Interview Question – What did you do when your project encounter unforeseen problem?   Answer Question

Corning, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Corning in November 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiting was friendly. Each one in the interview team asked probing but appropriate questings. Team work is valued in the culture. Do not pretent you know the answer for the question if you don't.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – To a small extent

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Wilmington, NC

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Corning in August 2009.

Interview Details – Recieved a lead from a recruiter, accepted the opportunity to do a phone interview. Completed phone interview was fairly straightforward asked a lot of integrity and work ethic type questions. Their HR department setup my travel and went for a site visit and interview. Consisted of a breakfast where I was drilled with questions which was kind of annoying, then a tour, then a panel interview where somone from each department (7 people) came and interviewed you one at a time. They also gave me a engineering skills test because the next step in career progression was a move into the engineering department. The interview was difficult, some of the managers that interviewed had very pointed and specfic questions, while others were easier going. I didn't like that they tried to interview me during breakfast and at lunch, had very few breaks in between the line of hiring managers. But some of the managers seemed like real go-geters and the others seem like they just wanted to try to break you. I did get asked a lot of the same questions between the managers, I think they wanted to see if you changed your answers while talking to different managers. Overall I thought the interview went good, but it took them a week to tell me thanks but no thanks. I didn't feel like it was a very professional way to handle potential applicants. It wasn't good or bad.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult event you have ever been though?   Answer Question