Corning Quality Engeer Interview Questions & Reviews

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Quality Engeer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Corning, NY
Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Corning in February 2011.

After a phone screening interview I was asked to come for an in person interview that would consist of a presentation and one-on-one interviews.

The presentation was supposed to be something that a layperson could understand, but show technical competency - a bit of a challenge. I presented to about 10 people and felt that I had done a fairly good job, though I wasn't able to adequately answer some of the questions that the senior technical person asked. Later I was told that he always asks those questions and they revolve around his favorite analysis technique that few people know about.

The morning meetings seem to go well. One was a walking interview, which was fine with me. The senior technical person was supposed to interview me over lunch. As we walked to lunch he implied that I had misrepresented my education on my resume, and that I should apply for completely different jobs in the company. I was stunned, as this was not true. He took me to a small, tired bar and grill for lunch where I had a sandwich. I figured the nails were already in the coffin by this point so I got a doggie bag for my leftovers - impressions be damned!

I debated about leaving after lunch, but stayed for the remaining interviews. One afternoon interview sticks out as offering very valuable insight into the company. Advancement is based how much money you make the company, not how much value you give. There are pros and cons to this. High level people select the most lucrative projects in order to advance, low level people try to get on lucrative projects in order to advance. Smaller, low profit projects are pushed to the margins, even if those projects can expect to save the company money over time. The engineer telling me this appreciated the effectiveness of the approach, but did not seem happy about it.

At the end of the day I went home pretty down. After learning about the culture I had much less interest in the position. I could have tried to do damage control by addressing the senior technical persons questions again after the interview, but I chose not to. I followed up with email messages to most, but not all of the interviewers, and received no replies back. I submitted an expense report and received travel reimbursement. I received no further communication from the company after the interview - no rejection, no thank you, nothing.

Interview Questions
  • Why didn't use analysis of means?   View Answer
  • Why did you use the log transformation? Why didn't you do other transformations? What is the most likely distribution of this data?   View Answers (2)

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!