Corrections Corporation of America

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

2.4

Detention Officer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

interviewed in front of 4-5 people: Warden, Assistant Warden, Chief of Security, and a sargeant. It took me over a year to hear back after filling out the application. The process has changed somewhat but it still takes awhile from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • What hours are you willing to work (in hindsight, I would have been more specific)   View Answer
    I received a job offer on letterhead.

Detention Officer Interview

Basic interview process. No one person conducts all interviews. Several administrators will conduct interviews; all depends on who you can impress. Once the interview is complete, you will immediately conduct a computerized survey of questions. This is probably where the real interview takes place.

Interview Questions
    • If you are not acquainted with a corrections type of environment, trying to picture yourself in a setting like this full of "residents" ranging from 60-100 per one officer is a little nerve racking.   Answer Question

Systems Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

Applied through an external recruiter. I interviewed with him and he told me I was the right candidate for the position. Gave me advise on how the company handled the interviews. He got me an interview with the Hiring Manager, after he interviewed me he asked me to wait because he wanted some members of the team to talk to me and find out if we were going to be able to work together. Everything went fine and the recruiter negotiated the salary for me. He was actually able to get me more money than I expected. The whole process took one month.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Everything was straight forward. Some technical and behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Recruiter negotiated the salary for me. He asked me how much I wanted and he was able to get me 50% more.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in August 2014.

Initially I received a phone call from the HR department at the Marion County Jail to schedule an interview. There were several times/days available. I had some difficulty upon entering the facility as I had not been previously informed that purses/bags are not allowed inside nor are cell phones. I was able to take those things back out to my car. After re-entering the facility I was informed that the dress code policy states that anyone entering the building is required to wear sleeves--I happened to be wearing a dress shirt that did not have sleeves. The receptionist allowed me to enter "since I wouldn't be going any farther than the interview room". Some time later I was greeted by the two people who interviewed me. They were very friendly and easy-going. They gave me some details about the position then asked a series of basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult/unexpected question was "What is something that only your close friends or family would know about you?"   Answer Question

Correctional Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

The interview process will consist of filling out an application and checking your email within a few days to take an assessment. After the assessment, they ask for permission to check your background, if relevant. You are then put into a pool, in wich they will call you if they need to interview you. The interview consists of a wide variety of questions dealing with your moral character and such.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was: "tell me something that you used confidence to get through?" I thought this was strange.   Answer Question

Detention Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

Dress the part of a business minded person and always look your interviewer straight in the eye; it shows confidence in yourself. Don't volunteer information, let them ask all the questions. Never mention money until after you are assured the position.

Interview Questions
    • No off the mark questions will be asked of you.   View Answer
    Everyone is paid the same across the board for detention officers.

Co Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eloy, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eloy, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in May 2012.

applied online, received a call about 4 days later, went for the interview, interview with 2 personnel employees, was told I would receive a call the following week & did but was turned down.

Interview Questions
    • Why do I think I should be employed by CCA?   View Answer
    • What would I do if I saw staff getting compromised?   View Answer

Corrections Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in March 2012.

I had to go online to put in my application. The process was pretty easy. I think it was about a month later that I received an email and phone call for an interview. I later found out that the person interviewing me was not even management staff and had nothing to do with the security department. This person was rude, almost confrontational and lied to me saying that they were an assistant warden from another facility helping out. If I had not been desperately wanting to get out of the job I was in while going for this interview, I probably would not have accepted the employment offer. If I had known that the interviewer was lying to me, I would not have accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to bring contraband into the facility or was offered to have a relationship with an offender what would you do? If you knew of an officer party to any of the activities above what would you do?   View Answer
    They had a set offer and would not budge from that.

Correctional Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in February 2012.

applied online. Received a phone call maybe 2 weeks afterward. Pretty basic interview as i have been in security for many years. Was 2 person panel. My advice is be honest and know what you are walking into. People who interviewed me we friendly and made it pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if an inmate exposed themselves to you?   View Answer
    • Could you use deadly force to protect a sex offender, officer or another inmate?   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in June 2011.

Two interviews. Tough scenario questions that do not prove or disprove qualifications for job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you implemented a new procedure and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    There was no negotations in pay. I was offered the minimum and was paid $15,000 less than others less qualified. It is who you know; not your education and experience that counts.